Hello - seronegative arthritis

mstake
mstake Member Posts: 8
Hi,

I'm new to this site. I'm 43 mother of three. I was diagnosed with seronegative arthritis about 18 months ago. I don't know anyone else with this type of arthritis.
I've had flare ups with some finger joints. I'm not sure what to expect with seronegative arth. ?
Read one forum message which mentioned RA gloves. What are these ? Are they helpful for finger flareups ? If so, where can I get some ?

Also, what meds are any seroneg members on ? I'm on methotrexate and naproxen. Do you find these helpful ?

Would be really grateful for some feedback as feeling a little on my own with this ! :roll:

Comments

• theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HI
    I also have sero negative arthritis but my Rheumy has now said its RA even without a positive blood result. It follows the same course as RA some say its less damaging, painful etc but in my experience it isnt but everyones RA takes its own course.
    Im on MTX and my 3rd biologic but nothing has worked so far although when I came off the MTX thinking it didnt do anything I realised it had been taking the edge off of my pain!! :roll: needless to say I quickly restarted on it :lol:

Mine started just in the finger joints for about 6 months then spread to my wrists, toes and ankles over the next 3 yrs in the last 6 months it has gone into my knees, hips and shoulders, I have good days and bad but havent worked for the last 18 months as I cant always walk or dress myself I take life day to day.

As for the gloves I bought a pair from Boots in the beginning they were really good and helped for a little while they assisted me in gripping pushing and pulling and kept the joints warm. They wouldnt help now but worth a try for you . Boots was probably the most expensive place Im sure the disability websites are cheaper.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask not sure I can help but am 4 years in now and Im 38yrs. You are not alone and the forums on here are great you can have a whinge and moan, give positive thoughts to others, there is always someone around to give you a cyber hug when you need it.
    Good luck
    (((((())))))))
    Theresa
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum, I hope you get lots of help & support from it so you don't feel so on your own.
    Sero negative arthritis means an inflammatory arthritis without a positive rheumatoid factor in the blood. It can be less aggressive than the positive factor type but the treatment is usually the same. Lots of people have sero negative arthritis but everyone's experience is different. You have already had one reply to your posting and I expect you will get many more with different viewpoints. It might be worth putting your posting on the Living with Arthritis site as well as I think it gets more views.
    You might find this link to our factsheet helpful
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets#cK45
    Scroll down till you come to the sero negative arthritis one.
    If you want to speak to one of us please do ring us on the freephone number. We're always happy to give people the time to talk through their concerns and treatment options.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • jennac
    jennac Member Posts: 35
    Hi i have seronegative arthritis too.

It was the first time i have heard of it till i was told that's what i have.

Am on 20mg Methotrexate,Sulphazalisine and Hydroxychloroquine Plus naproxen.I have started noticing a big difference since starting the Methotrexate which i was sooo against starting at first but am so glad i did now and am feeling much happier than i have in ages due to the amount of pain Ive been in.

I hope Your feeling abit better soon x
  • laineyf
    laineyf Member Posts: 15
    Hi
    My husband has seronegative spondyloarthropathy which I think is one of a group of RA linked illnesses.
    Obviously, I don't know how he feels, but I am his carer, and I know that on 'bad' days he is literally unable to move. His joints swell up, he comes out in massive bruises all over his body, and due to steroids, his skin is very thin and tears easily. He bleeds very easily, and his blood is very thin. He is on 18 tablets a day, and has a weekly injection of methotrexate. He also takes fluoxetine for depression. He's been like this now for 6 years (He's just had his 50th birthday).He's gone from being very active, sporty, and always making things (DIY) to now being unable to even turn a tap on. He used to spend all his time apologising for his illness, and for not being able to do things, but I encourage him to concentrate on what he CAN do - and not to apologise to anyone for something he can't help. This website has been a godsend to me - people to talk to who understand, and who have first-hand experience of all the worries and fears that we all have.
    I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone, that there is always someone here who will listen and be supportive, as I have found out. Take care, love Laineyxx