A question for OA sufferers....

Options
dippydoodah
dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
I was wondering, Ive read in several articles and websites that OA usually settles down after a few years, has anyone who has had OA for a long period found this to be true?

Im 32 and I have just been diagnosed with generalized osteoarthritis, pretty much everywhere in my body. Im in pain daily from head to toe and I used to be so active. Im still learning about OA and my initial thoughts were how scared I was that I am going to be like this now for the rest of my life. Im sorry if I sound a bit miserable about it all but Im still coming to terms with it. I used to walk miles and be so active and now I can't even pour myself a bowl of cereal without dropping the box.

Do/can people with OA get better? I know there isn't a cure but does it ease at all???

Im sorry if these questions sound a little silly, Im just having a really bad day and am finding it hard to be positive today.

Thanks, Id appreciate any help.
Caroline x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi caroline first off do not pannic it comes and goes a bit what did your doc say to you and did he give you any meds. with the right meds things do improve a great deal so please do not get to down. i know it sounds silly but exercise does help protect joints so find out what best for you but build up do not try to over do it. good luck. do not worry about coming on and letting off steam we understand how frustrating it is
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dippydoodah
    Sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time at the moment, have you had a chance to have a look at our booklet Living with Osteoarthritis and Independent Living? If not here is a link to them: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    They both contain lots of information about living with the condition on a day-to-day basis.
    If you are having trouble with your hands have you considered using splints? A physio or Occupational therapist should be able to help you with this. For more help and information please feel free to give us a call.

Best wishes

Simona