Reaction to IM steroid?

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
Morning helpline peeps :D

I wondered if you or any of the other forum folks can offer any advice or have had the same experience.

I had a systemic steroid injection of Kenalog on Wednesday. The rheummy said she was giving me the maximum dose of 120mgs to try to 'hit arther on the head'. :wink:

Problem is I have felt really unwell since Wed evening.....nausea, headache, dull ache in my back, weakness, and have spent a lot of time in bed trying to shake it off!. Also I really can't be off work just now as I'm just back.

I googled 'steroid reaction' but my symptoms don't seem to match what's listed.

Decided best to phone doc this morn but no appointments available unless and emergency...which this is not. Would have been difficult to get there anyway as I'm nearly 40mls away and only driving very short distances....but I would have found a way!

I've had lots of steroid injections before, both the ones into joints and the IM systemic with absolutely no problems.

Any ideas helpline? I know you don't give out medical advice but wondered if you had come across this before.

thanks again,

Iris x

Comments

• charliegirl
    charliegirl Member Posts: 4
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi There
    It has been a few years since I have those injections...but I was always otld to rest for 2 days and drink 2 litres of clear fluid. If you had it on Wednesday then possibly going to back to work today was too early...how about trying Monday. I also foud that my symptoms increased initially before getting better. So hang on in there and it will pass
    Take care :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Iris

If I were you I'd ring NHS direct and have a chat to at least put your mind at rest.

Hope you feel better very soon

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    thank you charlie girl and Toni :D

I did phone nhs and the doc said he does not think it's the systemic steroids causing the problems and that it's more likely to be signs and symptoms of an infection brewing......so I'll wait and see what comes of it!

thanks again peeps :!:

Iris x

ps. welcome to the forum charliegirl :D
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Iris
    I think your question about steroids has been answered, I don't think I can add anything but I do hope you're not brewing any nasty infection.
    Take care
    Val
  • dorcas
    Thanks Val :D:D:D

I am over it thanks.... whatever 'it' was. :? and nothing nasty has developed.

many thanks as always to the helpline and to other forum peeps for support.

Iris xxx :mrgreen: