I FEEL A FOOL ASKING BUT.....

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
edited 30. Mar 2010, 17:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
ok here goes....i am now 7 weeks post THR op..the 2nd one in a year, due to OA, after my first op i was in constant pain and this was a result of an infection and an alergic reaction to the metal used, thus the 2nd op...thing is i am so flipping exhausted all the time. i go out for a gentle stroll round the block on my hubbys arm, i dont overdo it indoors, i sleep well at night etc etc. and all i do when i get back is sit in my chair, i just thought, by now, i would be feeling all engergised and ready for anything - within reason - but i dont, i'm not depressed or anything like that, but i am SICK TO MY BACK TEETH of moaning, contradiction i know as thats exactly what i am doing to all you lot now !!! but i just wondered if anyone else is or was where i am now, and does it lift, will i be able to do some of the things i used to before arthur? the one thing that really got to me was my friends 83 year old dad was back playing badminton within 3 months of his THR...i am so sorry everyone, i know im on a "poor me" trip, but i just thought things would be picking up by now, also i'm 40 years old...life begins eh ??!!!! :roll:
cheers all, love Sally.xx :D

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

everyone's recovery is different - you have had a tough year medically - lots of pain, 2 general anaesethics (sp?), lots of painkillers, an infection, an allergic reaction to a metal implant, 2 major operations ... be gentler on yourself, your body has taken a battering.

It also depends on how mobile and active you were managing to be before the op - the worse your OA, the harder you have to work to get the muscles working again.

You aren't anaemic are you? That can make you feel very tired and exhausted and THR are well known for blood loss. I had to have a blood transfusion after my last one ...

Take your time, listen to your body and do your physio!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • harleyd14
    Options
    thanks speedalong for your answer, i am due my checkup on Tuesday so i will ask about anemic, never even thought of that avenue. worth asking anyway.
    thanks again and take care.
    Sally.xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    poor you but you will have to listen to your body and remember we r all different so what if the old bloke was up and running about(well would love to get him for you) but arther will have his own way so little and often till you get there. ((())) if you need them i am sure you will get there soon
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    PS you said,
    my friends 83 year old dad was back playing badminton within 3 months of his THR...

Have you seen him playing? I bet an 83 year olds idea of a great game of badminton is a bit different from yours???!!
    (And if it isn't - then apologies to the friend's Dad, fair play and is he in the Guiness Book of Records?!)

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • harleyd14
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    PS you said,
    my friends 83 year old dad was back playing badminton within 3 months of his THR...

Have you seen him playing? I bet an 83 year olds idea of a great game of badminton is a bit different from yours???!!
    (And if it isn't - then apologies to the friend's Dad, fair play and is he in the Guiness Book of Records?!)

Speedalong
    cheeky !!!!!!! :wink: xxxxx
    no i havent...i expect he was really a spectator !!!!
  • harleyd14
    Options
    thanks valval, will take hugs anyday ! xxxx
  • louiserichard
    louiserichard Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hiya

I know its hard but by 3 months you will be feeling ok. I had both my hips replaced together and for the months afterwards I felt really tired out like you. I was told its pretty normal as your body is using all its got to help your body recover from the trauma of the big op. Its using all your energy to help repair itself inside. 2 big ops in one year is a lot on the body so thats why you feel tired. Your body is just trying to force you to rest so that it can repair.

I was slightly anemic too which can cause tiredness as well like the first reply suggested - So you may find you need some iron tablets but if not then I know its really hard (and daytime tv is soooo boring) but stick with the resting and you will feel fab soon.

No looking back for me after a full recovery, best thing I ever did was get my hips done (I had them done 5 years back in my early 20s).

Hopefully you will be feeling fab soon! :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 6 weeks post op THR and feeling muchthe same....hearing about people that felt great immediatly afterwards etc etc.....daughter-in-laws father had one and was back cycling long distances etc etc....Things like that dont cheer you up do they?

Check the anaemia thing...I lost a lot of blood and had to have 2 transfusions while still in hospital....Waiting for the results of blood tests from the GP now
    Good Luck

Love
    Hileena
  • harleyd14
    Options
    hileena and louise, thank you so much for your great replys, its good - not in that sort of way tho - that others have felt like this, i was begining to think it was going wrong again, but its reassuring to know that rest rest rest should do the trick.
    and yes it is very annoying when you hear "stories" about people who are back to rock climbing and bungee jumping a week after the op !! , well maybe not a week !!!
    thanks again, all the best love Sally.xx :D
  • opal1266
    opal1266 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Harley,

I agree with the anaemia view, in a THR you can lose up to 4 units of blood, the amount of 6.5 hb post op I've seen is remarkable.
    Iron tablets? multi-vits? and a couple of blood tests... combined with lots of rest.

Good luck