Shoes for Arch Supports

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 30. Mar 2010, 13:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I went to the hospital on Thursday and they gave me a pair of arch supports, for my flat feet! :lol: I have to 'wear them in' thats half an hour on the first day, increasing by 20 mins or so daily, otherwise, apparently they can be very painful and people give up on them.

They do feel strange as they are hard and I thought they would be soft, the trouble is I had a job to find any shoes that I have, (lots according to my husband!) They are like standing on something in your shoe and this means that your heel is higher up the shoe, which makes the back of the shoe flop of, like flip flops! :oops: I'm wearing them in some old work shoes I found, which are comfortable and stay on, as I was a care assistant, my shoes were always flat and comfy. :wink:

I will need something smarter, if I'm going to go out and about in them, so will have to take them round the shoe shops :oops: Does anyone have this problem and can suggest a make that might be OK. The good shoes I have to go out in are Hotter, ballet type, really comfy but not with the insoles. I also have to be careful because my bunions get very sore, if rubbed!!! :oops:
Thanks, I have gone on a bit! Sorry. :oops: :wink:
Love Sue

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue
    i have arch supports i had mine made for me from the hospital.
    the only thing is i take size 6 but i have to buy a 7 for the insole to fit in as well.
    i have ecco shoe's they are flat and comfortable.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • rolowog
    rolowog Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I wear supports in my shoes, but now I only really wear walking shoes or boots. They give me the most support and the supports do fit in them when you take out the base lining. I put a leather insert back in and the support on top of it. Not the most stylish, but hey, it's nice to be reasonably comfortable. :)
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Some of the Hotter and other makes of shoes are designed so you can take their insole out and put your orthotic in. I've got orthotics and they are fine in boots or anything deep, can't do them in ballet shoes. Even my Nikes won't take them. I'm not keen on the style of Hotter and it is difficult to find shoes that take them.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Joan

I am always wearing my Ecco shoes - I've had them about 5 years and they're still look as good as new. I may consider getting some MBTs - they look very comfy. There's a shop in Chichester that sells them.

Sharmaine

dachshund wrote:
    Hi Sue
    i have arch supports i had mine made for me from the hospital.
    the only thing is i take size 6 but i have to buy a 7 for the insole to fit in as well.
    i have ecco shoe's they are flat and comfortable.
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Woodbon - you are right about breaking them in gradually - otherwise they really do hurt. Beware of shoes that are gently moulded/cushioned/supportive inside as they prevent the arch raise lying flat and that can cause your muscles to really protest!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    Thank you for all the tips. The shoes that I can wear the arch supports with have elasticated gussets, the only thing is that they are scuffed and scratched and wont last much longer! I got them from a visiting she shop that comes a few times a year to the Church Hall.

My supports were made at the hospital. I'll just have to take them with me and try some on. One good thing is that as I'm gradually increasing the time I wear shoes, they make me feel more balanced, but the musles in my legs ache a bit and the ankles ache if I go too long. I do think that on the whole they are going to help a bit. Although the first couple of days I felt I'd never get used to them!

Thanks Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Sue

Sounds a bit of a nuiscance, but I AM glad they help a bit :)

Aren't MBTs a bit wonky themselves?? Woiuld that work with teh insoles or might you feel abit sea sick :wink:

Think you are right - better take em with you and hubby will have to put up with you having a few MORE pairs of shoes - tell him I said so :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I know what you mean about these shoe lifts - I'm just trying to wear mine in in my left shoe to try & help with my prob. It's almost an inch high & only fits in this old pair of trainers. I was shocked how hard it is too & it is like going back to learning to walk after hip op again - aches & my back is killing me! The orthotics guy said trainers are best for these things I guess cos they lace up & have large tongues.
    I HATE trying to buy shoes too as nothing fits my weird feet so am dreading trying to find new too.
    The guy said I really need shoe adapted ideally but am trying this slightly lower insert first.
    All a pain isn't it?!
    love Pennie X