Query regarding methotextrate

Options
gazza67
gazza67 Member Posts: 25
edited 3. Apr 2010, 14:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello recently diagnosed wth ra put on methotextrate does anybody know if it will affect someone in a safety critical post (iam atrain driver)
just the side effect seems too be tiredness does this last all week or just the day after taking dose thank you for any help.

Comments

• jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    gazza67 wrote:
    Hello recently diagnosed wth ra put on methotextrate does anybody know if it will affect someone in a safety critical post (iam atrain driver)
    just the side effect seems too be tiredness does this last all week or just the day after taking dose thank you for any help.

Hi, I am on MXT injections at 20mg, I find I am tired for 2/3 days afterwards, but it might vary in other people, I am sure that other people on MXT will be along later love Jaspercat
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Gazza,

I'm on 10mg Mtx tablets and don't find it makes me any more tired than normal ....but it could be an idea to ask your Rhuemy or GP whether you need to inform your 'manager' that you're taking it, just to be on the safe side...... or give the Helpline (number at the top of this page) a ring to see what they think.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • kerrycc
    kerrycc Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Hello

It doesn't make me tired (well no more than usual) just sick and tummy upset feeling :( Just for about half a day I'd say x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Sorry to be the fly in the ointment but I find it makes me very tired, though my consultant did say it might be the arthritis too. I find I can't do nearly as much as I used to, even when I was ill last summer I had more energy than now. Think you might have to talk to your employer's occupational health dept or whatever they call them.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Yes, I believe it causes fatigue for me too, although I am finding this more manageable now.

I have been on the maximum dose of 25mg for a month now and I think things are beginning to settle down.

Although I know a lot of people report nausea as the worst side effect, I've barely noticed that.....just the tiredness.

Annie
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi, there, I have been on Methotrexate 25mg a week since Nov 08, its helped RA, but yes it very much makes me tired. I can do very little the day after I take it, and the tiredness continues to the next day, although to a lesser extent the second day.

RA also creates fatigue, but every one is different, and medicines affect people differently. I think it would be worth having a word with Occupational Health (as well as your manager)

Good luck with the treatment

lizzie
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Lindalegs has given you some good advice. The Helplines are a very good resource for all arthritis related issues, including employment.

Jean123 (Forum Supervisor)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Gazza and welcome to the forum. :D

I've been on injectable Mtx for a couple of years and was taking it in tablet form before that.

Everyone is individual and our reactions can be just as varied. For me it's been nausea, hair loss (how fetching that was) and headaches but most of that has been under control since changing to injection form of the drug and taking Folic Acid.

It's really really important for you to get medical and occupational advice with regard to what you are already experiencing when taking the Mtx so that you get a professional opinion on whether it is likely to affect your driver safety.......it's obvious you are concerned about this and that in itself is reason enough to get it checked out. It's really not for me to give an opinion as I just don't know and am not in a position to give that kind of advice or assurances. :roll:

As others have said, please phone the helpline peeps....they will talk it through with you and will help you all they can.
    please let us know how you get on.
    Iris x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Hi Gazza

I'm mtx and have been for years I personally don't get tiredness as a side effect, just a little nausea the day after I take it (sat) , but everybody reacts differently.

I would have thought that you have to inform your employeer tho - regardless as to whether or not you get the side effects....I only say this as I sometimes work on rail projects and as part of my track safety I have to inform Network Rail of ANY drugs that i am taking and i'm only an architect who rarely even goes near a trainline...they are usually more concerned by my painkillers than my DMARD tho. You may want to make discrete enquiries before committing yourself.

Hope that helps
    Chrissie
    gazza67 wrote:
  • gazza67
    gazza67 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for advice, informed manager who contacted bupa they said ok to take mtx but keep an eye on any side effects luckily seem toobe ok on it thanks everyone for help.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi there
    Yes Mtx has many side effects but cant see it doing any harm to your job. Your uillness is probably the main cause of tiredness.

Take care
    Colin
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    gazza67 wrote:
    Thanks for advice, informed manager who contacted bupa they said ok to take mtx but keep an eye on any side effects luckily seem toobe ok on it thanks everyone for help.

Hi gazza!

that's good news for you... glad it turned out so well. :D

Iris x