hip replacement

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 31. Mar 2010, 08:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have a friend who is due to have a hip replacement soon. She is a bit concerned and getting aprehensive about having it done.

I know nothing about this as I have not had this done. Can any of you who have had it done tell me about it so I can try and reassure her.

It is the going into the unknown and not knowing what to expect that is concerning her.

How can I help her as well?

Trish xx

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Trish
    I was terrified about my forthcoming hip operation and joined this forum to get more facts. I had to research whether to have spinal anaesthetic or general anaesthetic as well as the process involved.

the op took about an hour. Recovery wasnt painful(for me)and I was really glad to get it done as I was suffering so much pain before hand.

It is best for your friend to talk to as many peeps as possible who have had this operation. I was constantly being advised by peeps in the supermarket-asking me why I was hurting so much -and then telling me how there life had been changed for the better since getting it done.
    I would say it was not as bad as I feared but I definately needed lots of advice from those who had already been through the operation to reassure me.The hospital didnt really tell me anything.

Best wished
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    If she wasn't apprehensive she wouldn't be human, I think everyone is to one degree or another..
    Has she been asked what type of anesthetic she wants? I decided to have the epidural with sedation and it was brilliant , just dozed off and woke when it was all over , no sickness a first for me and I only needed pain relief for a few hours afterwards... they got me up the next morning and I walked on crutches and even managed some physio the next day.. I was home on one stick after 5days and my recovery was very good... it was instant pain relief after the surgery no pain in the hip apart from the soreness of the operation site itself but that was nothing compared to before..
    I would recommend it to anyone now 5yrs later my hip is still good no pain but just a slight limitation on range of movement but its oh so much better than it was... now I awaiting the second hip to get to the point of 'can't stand it any longer', good luck to your friend and do come back with any specific questions she may have...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for your reply, I will so her this and let her see how you come through the otherside of it. It is bound to make her feel better.

love Trish xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Tanith

Thanks you for your reply too. I'm sure this will ease her worries a little bit more.

Thank you

Trish xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Can you not get your friend to join this forum....its brilliant for this sort of thing. I'm just 6 weeks post op THR and they will tell you that I was on here asking all sorts of questions....As you say its the unknown.
    I was in3 days...they count the day of the op as day 0 {Fri} Sat I was up on zimmer frame, Sunday on sticks, had a blood transfusion and was home on Monday. At least I had an idea what to expect after quizzing everyone here.
    I f you check my posts....now I'm asking about 6 weeks post op LOL When you have you're hip replaced they tell you to sleep on your back for 6 weeks.....that was my main problem...found it very difficult. I went for my 6 week appointment with the consultant who said I could sleep on whatever side I liked..I came home yesterday on a high.....guess what??? Couldnt sleep on my side LOL...So now I'm asking have others been like that or have they any advice and I've had replies which I'm going to follow up.
    All in all it went well...just the having to sleep on my back....try and get her to join as well.

Any specific question....just shout out....someone will know the answer
    Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Trisher.
    i had my thr in 1996 after i fell over and broke my hip. i have not had any problems with it.
    since then i have had a tkr because of arther.
    all the best to your friend.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx