Rash could it be due to meds etc?

Options
lizzie7ne
lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
edited 30. Mar 2010, 15:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since Janaury I have had a rash (looks like prickly heat but it isnt itchy etc) on my neck and upper chest, its bright red, it started mild and now its worse. Havent changed my soap (use mild soap) or body lotion - use E45 body lotion. I went to my GP last week and he gave me allergy tablets - just to add to the host of other tablets - 2 RA meds, three BP meds, stomcach protetor, painkillers etc!. The allergy tablets make me tired, dont like them and the rash has got worse, I wondered if it was the RA meds (methotrexate and Leflunomide) but surely if that was the case it would be all over, not just my neck and chest. I am getting worried cos my daughter is getting married soon and I have a lovely Mother of the Bride outfit with a low (but not to0 low! neckline) and this bright red rash is obvious. Anyone else had this? Any tips?

lizzie

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I had similar to this a few weeks back. I did a post on it so might be worth you having a read.
    I think mine was down to the different ibuprofen tabs beacsue as soon as i stopped taking them it went.
    the tablets had sunset yello colouring in it and my mum told me as a child it would make me have bad asthma if i had orange squash with it in. I mentioned this to my GP and he said it was probably this and would right it in my notes so he can inform the chemist when writing prescriptions as quite often they will give you the cheapest type of tablets available.
    The rash I had started on my neck and over the few days of taking them it got more intense and spread all over my face and my nose started to blister and swell up.
    As soon as I stopped taking them it went.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi lizzie,

The only time I've had that kind of rash it's been incredibly itchy too and it was the meds (reaction) that I was taking at the time that caused it....that's happened to me more than once and I've always had to stop the med.

I know you've seen your GP but if it's getting worse maybe a quick phonecall to rheumy for advice might be sensible?

I'm told always to report any rashes......so might be worth you giving them a call?

Iris x

ps. like the sound of the wedding outfit...hope you have a great day!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm sorry that you've got an itchy rash, it must be driving you mad! :? I agree with that you should see your GP, as if you are allergic to some of your medication, the doctors can test and find out and maybe even change to something that suits you better. Also, you might need something to help you get rid of the spots! :shock:

Its such a pain, isn't it having to go back and forth to the docs and its very tempting to leave things, I know, my GP has a new computer system that allows you to see how many appointments you've had this year. I looked at my list and felt a bit embaressed at how many visitis I've clocked up! :oops:

Hope you are soon spot and itch free! Love Sue
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your advice, its stopped itching(after lashings of E45 cream, but I still have the bright red rash. Will give the Rheum nurse a call, also seeing my GP next Monday (re my BP) so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

luv

lizzie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Lizzie,

I had a non-itchy rash some years ago that sounds the same as yours ......my GP stopped all my RA meds and I had to go onto different ones. Don't want to worry you but maybe you should ring your rheumy nurse sooner rather than later.

My rash went when I was off the meds.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'