Naprosyn( naproxyn ) , Consultants Views

Options
bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 29. Mar 2010, 15:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have yet to bite the bullet with long term medication

I am able to manage flare ups with ordinary paracetamol after getting too much constipation on the stronger ones

anyway consultant has said naprosyn would be better long term ( anti inflammatory ) BUT .......

she said the full anti inflammatory effect of this drug can take ..wait for it ..6 weeks !!!! ...to kick in

so she said be patient

shes not kidding !!

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been using Naproxen for a number of years and I have had no problems and great relief from it.. I don't remember it taking all that time to take effect but you may find you get a good effect with it.. if I forget to take one of my 12hr doses I soon know it...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi B B,

I have to say I am with Tanith here and mine are fairy instant as well though not Naproxen they still work very quickly.

I have been off them for a couple of weeks and took them again as of friday and already have got less swelling and less pain so maybe you will get relief sooner. Good luck and hope they soon work. Take care Cris
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Blue b.
    tne first time i took it it worked straight a way
    i could not believe it.
    i had the liquid form as i have a problem swollowing tabs.
    i dont take it anymore because after a few years it stopped working i'm now on diclofenic.
    i hope it work's soon for you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Hi
    I have OA everywhere and take Naproxen. On days where Im quite mobile, I don't take any but when I do need them, they pretty much work straight away for me. Whilst they don't take the pains away, they do make them more bareable and reduce the swelling slightly.

Ive never had to wait weeks for them to kick in....

Hope they work for you and you get some relief with them.

Caroline x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi had to come off it for a week it took couple of days to come out of system and i was so bad with out it started to work within 24 hours of going back on it good luck if does not work go back to doc as lots of meds to try
    val
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Hello,

Hope you are well. I have used the old Ibruffen, diclofenic and now are Narproxin. I find it amazing. I have to keep it up though as I have no other drugs other than the steriods they have just put me on.
    I found that keeping up with it every 6-8 hours worked wonders.

Hope it works and good luck.

Love CLaire
    xxxxx
  • bluebeard
    Options
    well I took the bullet

its two 500mg tablets a day

one in morning , one early evening
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    bluebeard wrote:
    well I took the bullet

make sure you eat first porage, wheetabix or something else that will line stomache they do work well for me but if do not eat properly up set stomache a bit
    val
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey,
    I wouldnt worry about naproxen too much, in america it's an over the counter painkiller, so yeah it is a bit stronger than ibuprofen and obviously you should be careful and take it with food etc, but serious side effects are rare.

I take it when I get swelling, I think it helps a bit.

The reason I dont think it's too strong is because when I have period pain (sorry boys) before arthrits I used to take ibuprofen for a day or so, and now when I'm on naproxen it does get rid of most of the period pain but I still feel it a little bit. So 500mg naproxen to me isn't that much different to 400mg ibuprofen. I just prefer it because it's less doses in a day to remember taking.
  • bluebeard
    Options
    valval wrote:
    bluebeard wrote:
    well I took the bullet

make sure you eat first porage, wheetabix or something else that will line stomache they do work well for me but if do not eat properly up set stomache a bit

thanks

I think the consultant means with breakfast then after tea in the evening , so when you are asleep it keeps working a bit
  • bluebeard
    Options
    my sister has endometriotis ? and she swears by naproxen ...but she doesnt have constant pain so she can get away with taking it once in a while

consultant said best for me to take it like clockwork for a few months to see if it helps