thumb surgery

mrslizzylizzy
mrslizzylizzy Member Posts: 2
hi i was wondering if you could help me. i went to see my orthopedic surgeon and he as re xrayed my thumbs and y right one as collasped and my left theys enough joint to save with an injection. for my right one he is going to do the fusing surgery and i will be in a cast for 2 weeks then it removed to place another on for a further month, he says i will be able to move more freeley with that one on. my employers are wondering if i will be able to return to work as am a cleaner. so my question to you what is the recovery time for this kind of surgery. and if i didnt do the surgery what will be my long term prognosis of my thumb.. and will it get worse. i have already had to have time off work cos its swells so much i cant move it and because of having a bad stomach not able to take the anti inflamators,, thanks for your advice liz

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Liz
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your questions about recovery time and what if you don't have the surgery are questions you need to ask your surgeon as everybody is different.
    You have already had one reply with one person's experience and I expect you will get more. These are people's personal experiences, what is important is what your surgeon thinks the outcome will be for you.
    Under the Disability Discrimination Act your employer has a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to your working practices and conditions. This can include providing you with equipment or changing the type of work you do. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' explains all this in detail and can be downloaded from our website
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    Liz, if you want to talk things through with one of us please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val