Alternative Remedies

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
Some time ago in Arthritis Care Magazine you ran an article on the above. Up to that point, I had tried accupuncture only. This did not work so much for me, nor did physiotherapy, well not my hospital's interpretation of physiotherapy.
I had got to the point when my pain was ruining my life, even though I was responding well to Tramadol SR. My doctor said he couldn't do any more for me and my rheumy nurse said that 'this was as good I would get'.
Then, with doctor's OK, I began seeing a Chiropractor. Dr said a definite no to Osteopathy. Too vicious for me.
Yesterday, I came back from a weekend away, walking, dancing etc.it was our car club's AGM. Everyone said how well I looked,
I'm not saying chiropractice is ok for RA, PA but OA does respond well to it.
It seems to be working for me and I don't bore my husband anymore with my moaning about pain. I am still in pain from the AR and PA, but I am managing it well. When you are newly diagnosed with arthritis, any kind, I have about 3 sorts aswell as PMR (polymtalgeria rheumatica) the first 12 months can be a minefield, but I would like to say, hang on in there and keep your mind open to alterntive remedies. Pity we can't get them all on NHS.

(I felt I needed to run this past you first to see what your views were on AR)

Joyful

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Joyful,

I'm glad you are feeling better at the moment. It's impossible to be certain about therapies and people's experiences can be so very individual.

I was a little unclear what your question was. Were you wondering about chiropractic and its value in inflammatory kinds of arthritis? If so I'd doubt whether we would be able to give a very definite answer. Manipulation is never advised near areas affected by a flare up is the clear guidance I remember.

I hope that's helpful at least.

Guy
  • joyful164
    Options
    Thanks for your views

For myself, I have felt some benefit, especially with sorting out trapped nerves.

I am still bothered with aches and pains and she cannot sort the PA and RA out. Last night I experienced some terrible shooting pains in my right arm. I know that I will not be completely rid of pain, but what she achieves it brings a lot of relief for long periods and that is a blessing.

Joy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Joy
    It is good of you to share this, you mentioned a while ago you where seeing a Chiropractor.and that it was working for you, I gave it a try and I did really well , after a few treatments I was walking alot better, and I wasn't has stiff in the mornings, sadly I had to stop because I could know longer afford it.
    It would be wonderful if we could get it on the NHS, we can dream
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hello there Barbara.
    Lovely of you to respond to my thread.

I know it has made me a lot stronger. I still suffer with pain, but not so bad.
    I could never have got through a day like today with my son and family coming, nor had the boys during the week. I managed to take one of them to the park and walk.
    I think I have overdone it now, but I feel very satisfied with myself.
    Yes, pity we can't get Chiro on the NHS. Pity that AC cannot push for this or any other treatments aswell for us. When you are only on a pension it does take quite a lump of it £28 every 2 weeks is a lot.

JOY
  • BarryVictor
    BarryVictor Bots Posts: 5
    Options
    There are several alternative remedies that can help you relieve some of your injury, syndrome or any physical problem like chiropractic and acupuncture.

Link removed by Helplines due to contravening of rules._