How long does a steroid injection take to work?

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hi,

Please could someone tell me how long a steroid injection takes to work? I had it yesterday and my rheumy said it was a large dose, although he didn't say how much he was giving me or what. Anyway, I don't know if it's coincidence but my hands are slightly less swollen and a lot less red this morning. I s'pose I could be coming out of a flare but I was wondering if the injections can work that quickly?

Thank you in advance.
Sophie :)

Comments

• breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,I had a steroid injection in the shoulder several weeks ago and was told it would be about a week before I noticed any improvement.However the injection didn't work at all. :( I then had another one done in the buttock and was told the same but that one didn't work either.Some people notice a difference quite quickly and I guess it depends on the dosage they give you.Steroid injections don't seem work for everyone but good luck with yours,hope it will work for you. Breane.x
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. This one was in my buttocks. I've had them into my ankle joints before but it took a few days for them to kick in. This was an intra-muscular jab.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    Hi Princess,

I'm not precisely sure of the quickest time recorded for a good reaction to a steroid injection. I doubt whether you'll get a very official answer to this one, but next day sounds entirely possilble - if it was accompanied by a need to eat lots of chocolate biscuits then the steroid jab would sound like the culprit.

all the best
    Guy
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you, Guy. Well, I'm starving today, abnormally so. Trying to fill up on fruit and veg and cereal bars because I'm keeping an eye on my weight. :oops: