TOOTH OUT

Options
jillydog61
jillydog61 Member Posts: 33
Hello, hope you can help, i think that i am going to have to have a tooth removed VERY scared of the dentist :cry:

I am taking Prednisolone and MTX, hopefully there will be no problems because of this medication ?

Thanks Gill

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I don't know about the prednisolone, but I do take MTX so can help a bit with that part.

As long as your dentist knows about all the meds that you are taking then they can treat you accordingly. The MTX makes you more prone to infections, and to gum disease, so they are likely to take greater care with checking your gums, and to be more gentle when cleaning and polishing your teeth for you.

I have had a tooth out since being on MTX and it didn't cause me a problem. But do take a list of all your current meds (and any over the counter things you take too) as it is best that they know before they treat you.

goodluck!
    Wonky xxx
  • jillydog61
    jillydog61 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi thank you for the reply

Gill
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Gill
    Prednisolone and Methotrexate can make you more prone to infections and make your gums a bit delicate but as long as your dentist knows you are taking these drugs, he will know to be a bit more gentle and more aware of possible infections and it won't be a problem to him.
    As Wonky said, take a list of all your medications with you.
    Also tell him you are nervous, dentists are used to this. I tell mine, a perfectly pleasant young man, that the sight of him fills me with terror but he doesn't take it personally at all.
    Good luck. Hope it goes well.
    Val
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi Gill
    Prednisolone and Methotrexate can make you more prone to infections and make your gums a bit delicate but as long as your dentist knows you are taking these drugs, he will know to be a bit more gentle and more aware of possible infections and it won't be a problem to him.
    As Wonky said, take a list of all your medications with you.
    Also tell him you are nervous, dentists are used to this. I tell mine, a perfectly pleasant young man, that the sight of him fills me with terror but he doesn't take it personally at all.
    Good luck. Hope it goes well.
    Val

Wow Val .... and I thought it was only me saw dentists in that way :shock: :lol::lol:

seriously though, the newly qualified dentists that we have in our surgery seem to be very clued in on helping patients to relax, and I find that these days the trip to the dentist isn't half as daunting as it used to be.

glad your dentist doesn't take things personally :D and I also hope you don't need to see him too often :wink:
    hugs
    WOnky