youngest hip replacement

Options
kirstine
kirstine Member Posts: 7
edited 29. Jun 2012, 11:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello,

my son is waiting for a hip replacement he is 14, is their anyone out their who has had this operation at this age or younger?.

still waiting for the comformation off when he is having his op.

He is rather scared any tips for him to get his mind of the pain he's going through?

thank youu

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kristine
    If you are new to this site, can I say welcome, your son is so young,to be having his hip replaced, what is it he has.
    I do hope someone comes along soon to give you some answers
    Please let us know how he gets on.
    Love
    Barbara xx.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kristine and welcome to the site.

Your son will be absolutely fine and his mobility will increase tremendously afterwards but I'm so sorry to see him having to have something like this so early in his life. We are all scared when it comes to ops :(

I had my knees replaced at the same time and I was 42 but the change in my life and the benefits are well worth it.

He may have some pain afterwards but this will improve each day and probably be nothing compared to how he is now. He must rest but also do the exercises the physios give him religiously - they make so much difference to the mobility of the new joint.

He must not overdo things especially at first but he is young and I think you may have to tie him down. :shock:

I have a friend who isn't a member of this forum and she's had arthritis since she was 9 she had her first hip replaced when she was in her teens .....she's now in her 50's and is on her third hip and still going strong. :D

The forum is a little quiet because of Easter but hopefully others with advice will come along soon.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • kirstine
    kirstine Member Posts: 7
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Kristine
    If you are new to this site, can I say welcome, your son is so young,to be having his hip replaced, what is it he has.
    I do hope someone comes along soon to give you some answers
    Please let us know how he gets on.
    Love
    Barbara xx.

hello barbara,

my son has junior idopathic arthritis, sure il keep popping posts on here.

thank you
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hi Kristine,

I have no advice to give, I'm afraid, just wanted to wish your son well with his hip replacement.

Youngsters bounce back so much more quickly than us old crocks, that I'm sure he'll be fine!

Please let us know how he gets on,

Lois x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Kirstine
    I have already posted on one of your previous threads about hip replacements ... has your son got a date yet?

Lindalegs;
    I have a friend who isn't a member of this forum and she's had arthritis since she was 9 she had her first hip replaced when she was in her teens .....she's now in her 50's and is on her third hip and still going strong.

Wow ... I had my first one done at 30 ... and was worried about revisions ... so this sounds promising/hopeful.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • stiffstix
    stiffstix Member Posts: 2
    Options
    hi K,

I know its been a while...but i just wanted to say i had bilateral hips done just months after onset ...i had not long turned 15 when i had to have them done, my situation was very extreme...however 30 YEARS later i still have the same hips in....they are still going strong and ive done some crazy stuff over the years! inc riding on the noses of dolphins! They were the best thing to have done.....i hope your son has had a successful outcome.
    Now as for knees....that for me is a totally different kettle of fish and i'd say to anyone avoid like the plague, unless REALLY essential.

best wishes to your son x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello stiffstix and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you really put those new hips to good use. That's great to hear.

Mine's rheumatoid. I got the OA as a free added extra so only came to my first new hip about 12(?) 15(?) years ago and my other a few years later. I haven't put them to riding with dolphins but I agree they're a great invention. I disagree about knees though. I got my first two 31 years ago, had one replaced a couple of years ago and the other's still going strong.

Good to meet you and keep posting :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi Kirstine

Heck your son is young isnt he? Can I ask does he have arfur? I thought the bloke on the news who got put off his operation yesterday cos of doctors strike looked young (about 30ish)....
    I really hope someone can advise your son well for his operation...We have a forum here called "my child has arthritis"..Would they be of more help?

Good luck

Elainex
    kirstine wrote:
    hello,

my son is waiting for a hip replacement he is 14, is their anyone out their who has had this operation at this age or younger?.

still waiting for the comformation off when he is having his op.

He is rather scared any tips for him to get his mind of the pain he's going through?

thank youu
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Kirstine
    can l just wish you son (and you) all the very best. l know as a Mum how worried you will be. please do keep coming on here - l would like to support you too through this
    love and hugs
    Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    This is a very old thread.

It was revived by a new forum member, stiffstix.
    Steven Wright
  • stiffstix
    stiffstix Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi all,

hi Stickywicket....well i must say i'm surprised you've had no issues re:knees (good for you tho), almost every single person (inc myself) who has had them done i've met over the years has had ALOT of problems....I was expecting the same results as my hips so was very keen to have them done when it was suggested. Unfortunately it all went very wrong & i do wish i'd left well alone & held out having any knee ops done.

I had RA but it burnt out after about 2/3 years....
    xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Stiffstix,

I'd just like to add that my knees are the best thing that ever happened in the course of having RA. I'm on my third knee replacement and would recommend them to all as they've changed my life for the better. Without them I wouldn't be able to walk now.

I'm so sorry yours weren't successful.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I know several people (in real life, not just on here) who have had very successful TKRs. I’m sorry you’ve been so unlucky with yours, stiffstix. Was it the same surgeon who did your hips?

Your RA burnt out after 2-3 years? Blimey :o I wish mine’d get the message.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    What's 'burnt out' mean cos nobody's told my body about it either? :roll: :lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x