young hip replacement

Options
kirstine
kirstine Member Posts: 7
edited 9. May 2010, 12:24 in Young people's community
hello,

my son is waiting for a hip replacement he is 14, is their anyone out their who has had this operation at this age or younger?.

still waiting for the comformation off when he is having his op.

He is rather scared any tips for him to get his mind of the pain he's going through?

thank youu

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kirstine,
    I had a hip replacement last year. I was 46 so nowhere near your sons age.
    I think peeps are bit frightened to reply to your post as he is so young and we all feel a bit responsible for any advice we give.
    I think It was the best thing I did. The operation went well. Afterwards the pain had completely gone and my mobility has improved although I still have other issues with my R.A.
    I had a spinal anaesthetic so didnt feel a thing and a sheet is used to hide your view.I took in my Ipod with my favourite tunes on and that took my mind off the hour long operation.
    I was home within the week and very glad I had it done.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • louiserichard
    louiserichard Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi

I had my hips replaced when I had just turned 20 (although I should have had it done earlier -I kept putting it off through fear). I had them both replaced at the same time as the docs thought this would be best due to the fact I couldn't weight bare on either as they were.

I was very scared about having hip replacements at such a young age but if i'd have known how good I was going to be from having it done I wouldn't have thought twice.

Before my op I had got to the stage where my hips were so worn that I couldn't do anything as I couldn't walk at all. They have changed my life dramatically. You would never know I have hip replacements. People are very shocked when I tell them. I am able to do pretty much everything anyone else can within reason. I have even ran on the odd occasion when i've missed the bus etc! I have now had them for 5 years and they are still as good as ever - they couldnt tell me how long they will last as it varies ofrom person to person.

If you or your son have any questions I will try and answer them - just send me a message.

All the best

Louise
  • charlieb
    charlieb Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi

My names charlotte and i am 19, on december 3rd i had a double full hip replacement , it was the best thing i have ever done!

I had it done at the RUH i bath. I went in on the day in a wheelchair not being able to walk, stand straight or even stand for any lenghth of time. I was terrified.

I dont regret a thing, its given me my life back, i can now walk un aided and even run! I will admit it was an odd experience but the best so far , i was home on the 24th of december.

As long as you stay positive and work with the physio then you will be home in no time!

Please feel free to ask any questions i will be willing to answer them!

Cheers
    Charlotte
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    charlieb wrote:
    Hi

My names charlotte and i am 19, on december 3rd i had a double full hip replacement , it was the best thing i have ever done!

I had it done at the RUH i bath. I went in on the day in a wheelchair not being able to walk, stand straight or even stand for any lenghth of time. I was terrified.

I dont regret a thing, its given me my life back, i can now walk un aided and even run! I will admit it was an odd experience but the best so far , i was home on the 24th of december.

As long as you stay positive and work with the physio then you will be home in no time!

Please feel free to ask any questions i will be willing to answer them!

Cheers
    Charlotte

Charlotte you are one brave lady!!! Well done you!!
    Someone on the general thread was debating the possibilty of having this done ... hope she sees this post too.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carolanivey
    carolanivey Member Posts: 64
    Options
    A double hip at the same time? Wow, I didn't even know that was possible! :) I've heard of double-knee, but not double hip. You ARE brave!
  • louiserichard
    louiserichard Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Having them both done at the same time is quite rare but my surgeon decided it was the best way forward for me. As I was so young he knew I would cope and it meant only one stay in hospital where as if not I would have had one and recovered and then have to go through it all again right after. The recovery was a bit longer than it is for just one but only by a matter of weeks really. From the moment I woke up I was in a lot less pain than before I no longer had that joint grating on bone pain - so it really wasnt that bad.

I'd urge anyone who is worried and putting off a hip replacement to just go for it. The results are well worth it.