Unashamed request for sympathy :o)

robdog
robdog Member Posts: 2
edited 1. May 2010, 05:46 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,

I'm a 46 year old male, diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 15 years ago.

I've been prescribed both Vioxx and coproxymol in the past, both of which you probably know have been taken off the market.

Subsequently I became disenchanted with prescription medicine and have been coping on my own with masses of ibuprofen and sheer bloody-mindedness :roll:

I recently caught a bad cold, which although only lasted two days seems to have brought on an arthritic attack. Usually I only have trouble with my toes and fingers. But for the past few weeks I've been hurting EVERYWHERE and also feel constantly tired and vaguely flu-like.

Is it possible that I have have both psoriatic AND reactive arthritis? (which I've only just heard of by dipping into this most excellent forum :) )

Anyway, it's great to find a forum for this condition, and I look forward to chatting some more with my fellow sufferers. I don't know why, but I think it's great that there's a place where, at the very least, I can share my pain!

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi robdog just wanted to give you a warm welcome to the forum. Sorry i can't give you any advice about your arthritis as i have r/a. I'm sure others on here will be able to help you, look forward to your posts. Take care.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

Just popped in to give a warm welcome from me too.
    The people on here are very friendly and helpful too. I hope that you will like being here with us.

I would not like to give an opinion as to what could be the problem, sorry. There are others who will be along soon to say hello to you.

I do hope to see you posting soon around the Forums though.

Trish x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hello Rob and welcome to the forum. :D

your 'unashamed request for sympathy' did make me laugh! the forum IS a great place to share how arther's making you feel and you will get support, info and advice on here for sure.!

I've had PA for about the same time as you and now have some OA. There are lots of other PA folks on this forum so you're in good company.
    I can't answer your question about reactive arther though.....I think you would really have to see a rheummy and have tests to find that out. :roll:

I do know that you can have flares similar to RA and affecting lots of joints at the same time. In the literature PA is considered less severe than RA but somebody forgot to tell my arther that as I have PA affecting neck, knees, elbows, wrists, fingers and feet! also enthesitis which is inflammation of the tendons attaching to joints....very painful that is too.
    You CAN have more than one type of arther so perhaps that is what is happening to you but it needs a doc to test and confirm.
    Looks like you may have to bite the bullet Rob and go back to the docs and consider meds to limit arther. :| :roll:

great to have you on the forum.....now that you've found us why not post on the 'living with arthritis' section? you'll get lots more peeps reading and answering your post there.

Iris x
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Hi Rob

I'm being tested for Psoriatic Arthur at the moment, It gets me in my toes, feet, knees, hips, shoulders and jaw, tends to be down the same side of the body :!: At the moment im on painkillers. I also have Gouty Arthur in my feet.

Welcome to the forum everyone here is great the support is excellent aswel :D

Mark
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Hello and welcome to the forum look forward to your posts from joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Robdog

Welcome to the forums from me too :D

Yes it iS a great place to come and have a moan get support etc. Here no-one minds if you moan a bit :wink:

I think it is possible to have more than one type of arthritis defineitly.

You need to see the rheumy i reckon???
    Love

Toni xx
  • kevlar
    kevlar Member Posts: 41
    Hi Robdog, just like to add my welcome.

We all need a bit of a laugh sometimes, especially in the face of uncle Arthur.

I've recently been diagnosed with PsA so I know where you're coming from. You definately have my sympathy!

All the best, Kevin
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi Robdog. I too have PA, which started in my left knee in 1997. It wasn't diagnosed until October 2006 when I had my first, and so far only, episode of psoriasis. It is now in both knees, both ankles, feet, hands, shoulders, neck and jaw. Delightful. I loathe and detest it with all my being. I have tried a huge range of treatments, none of which have really worked, but the most successful is my current one, and anti TNF called Humira. You just have to grit your teeth and get on with it, I'm afraid! At least you know now that you are not alone, many people around here are in the same boat, and we are a wonderful source of support, humour, encouragement and entertainment. It does take your mind off thongs, or even things! (what a typo - had to leave that one in!) Regards, Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi rob do not have pa but wanted to say hi
    val
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. A trip to the Docs to confirm and run some tests would be good. Sometimes you just cannot battle it alone and lots of brufen is not good for your stomach without something to protect it. You will receive lots of support and advice from the lovely folks here on the forum and you can always contact the helpline for further advice. XX Take care Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).