Ustekinumab

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
Hello helpline peeps. :D

I wonder if you know anything about the new biologic drug Ustekinumab in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis?

I have read that it significantly improves the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis, according to a study published in the Feb. 12, 2009, online issue of The Lancet medical journal.

The study showed that many of the 146 patients in this study with moderate to severe psoriatic arthritis had "significant and prolonged" improvement in their symptoms using ustekinumab.

Do you know if NICE or SMC are considering licensing/ approving this drug for PA peeps?

thanks,

Iris x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Iris, thanks for your posting. We don’t have information on this I’m afraid, maybe have a look at the Arthritis Research UK website as they will have more info on any new biologics being researched.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/

Best wishes
    Jaslin
  • dorcas
    Thanks Jaslin,

I will see if ARC have any info to offer...:wink:

It isn't often we see a biologic named for being particularly effective for treating PA so if I do find anything of interest I'll post back so others with PA can read about it too. :D

thanks again,

Iris x
  • dorcas
    Hello again peeps. :D

ARUK don't have info on this drug. However I did a bit of 'rooting around' and found that both NICE and SMC have approved Ustekinumab (Stelera) for the treatment of moderate to severe plaque psoriasis in adults who have failed to respond to, or who have a contraindication to, or are intolerant to other systemic therapies.

Source:
    NICE press release
    Weds 23 September2009
    (the guidance is available at: www. nice.org.uk/TA180)

Source:
    SMC briefing note;
    Number 27 February 2010.

The Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance (PAPAA) have an excellent website and have 8 articles listed where Ustekinumab is featured. I've posted the link for others to follow if interested in reading more:

http://www.papaa.org/tiki-searchindex.php?highlight=ustekinumab&where=pages&search=go

Unfortunately as far as I can see only Europe and Canada have approved use of Ustekinumab in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis so I have emailed NICE and SMC to ask if consideration is being given to this biologic drug being approved for us PA peeps....especially as it is showing such good research trial results. (Lancet article)

Iris x :mrgreen: