Methotrexate & Colds

Options
widget
widget Member Posts: 22
edited 3. May 2010, 09:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Just looking to see how everyone else who is on Metho deals with colds due to taking the drug. I have had a number now and they are really getting me down. Has anyone got any advice on how they deal with theirs, do you take/eat anything differently to before?.

Any help/advice most appreciated.

Widget
:)

Comments

• widget
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Has no one on Meth tablets got any advice for me?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi widget

am not on MTX, but expect it's coz its meant to suppress your immune system...... :(

I dont suppose you can take much can you or it would be counterproductive??

Someone who has a brain cell will surely be along soon :)

Love

Toni xx
  • widget
    Options
    Thanks Toni.

I can only take paracetemol and when it gets too bad I have to have antibiotics. My doctors surgery dont seem to understand how hard it is with colds all the time. I am due to see my consultant in May and will discuss my options with her then.

lesley x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi lesley

i would talk to him if I were you. It's horrible having constant colds isn't it? We all go through phases of them, but the MTX does do that others have said. Maybe there are options for you??

Have you tried doing a 'search' for mtx and colds to see if this has been discussed in the past?

Good luck

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Widget, how tough for you. I couldn't tolerate meth tablets so, after a break, was put onto injected meth - can't remember when tho, it has been some time. I have only had two colds since then, and I used Lemsips. I do get the occasional sore throat, so stop the meth until it goes. Meth does suppress your immune system and I think there is a difference between the tabs and the jabs even tho it is supposedly the same stuff.

What about switching to the jabs? I'm not saying that it would work, just that it might. I'm not a doc, just had experience of the two types. Hope you're OK today. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Widget

I am on methotrex injections and sometimes I get cold-like/ hayfever-like symptons - sneezing, runny nose, etc for a couple of days- but they don't develop into a full-blown cold. In fact, I have never had a proper cold in the 2 years I have been on methtrexate ! I wash my hands very frequently and use an antibacterial gel on my hands to try and keep myself free of germs, and I also take a daily probiotic multivitamin tablet which is supposed to boost your immune system, plus omega 3 capsules and calcium tablets ..

best wishes

Marion
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - Im on methx injec and to help I take Vit C with Zinc - seems to have worked for me!!! The OH has had a few colds, but I (touch wood) have not for quite a while!!!!! I did have flu jab though - does this make any difference???

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi Widget..... I feel your frustration!!! :x I have re-started MTX after having a baby and I seem to have had a permenant cold!

I don't remember it being this bad when I was on the MTX before getting pregnant so not sure what is going on now. I'm hoping that as the warmer weather gets more frequent my cold symptoms will disappear...... ever the optimist!! :D:lol:

I'll be watching this thread with interest for other people's experiences and top tips!

I'm off to inhale some steam and eat some lockets! :shock: :? :lol: Hope you feel better soon!

Poppy x
  • ailsara
    ailsara Member Posts: 4
    Options
    widget wrote:
    Hi everyone

Just looking to see how everyone else who is on Metho deals with colds due to taking the drug. I have had a number now and they are really getting me down. Has anyone got any advice on how they deal with theirs, do you take/eat anything differently to before?.

Any help/advice most appreciated.

Widget
    :)

Hi widget,
    I take MTX and (touch wood) haven't had a cold while being on it. I believe it is because I have 1/2 large teaspoons of manuka honey every day (UMF 15). Manuka honey helps strengthen the immune system and for me has kept germs, viruses etc completely away, so much so I daren't stop having it now! I have it on cereal, in porridge, in coffee, on toast and sometimes with just hot water, its very soothing on the throat that way. Good luck, I hope this helps :)
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Ailsara

I have heard many good things about manuka honey too and have been meaning to try it for ages... I will definitely give it a go now..

thanks for that tip

Marion
  • louiserichard
    louiserichard Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I find methotrexate causes my nose to run. I've been told its not a cold but a side effect of the drug...

It does cause your immune system to be lowered thou so you are more prone to catching things. My advice is to keep a travel body of hand sanatiser with you and use it. Most colds are picked up from touching door handles etc.

Take multi vits everyday as this helps and also extra vit c.

X
  • widget
    Options
    Thanks everyone who has replied to my question. Feeling a lot happier now and will go armed to the hospital on Friday with all your information.

Thanks again.

Lesley