Fusing thumb joints

Options
roseldr
roseldr Member Posts: 3
edited 15. Apr 2010, 10:15 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to the internet as I am a grandma so forgive me if I get this all wrong! Having had a hip replacement nearly three years ago and have arthritis just about everywhere, I have been advised to have the lower two joints of my left thumb fused leaving only the joint below my nail 'active'. What I would like to know is how much movement I would have in my thumb ie can it still be moved left to right etc as you use your left thumb an awful lot even though you may be right handed! I live on my own and have no family who can call daily, only w/ends, therefore, after surgery I will be on my own most of the time and having a hand out of use will be difficult. Having a hip replacement was simple compared to the 'after effects' of surgery on a hand! If anyone out there can give me info of any kind regarding this I would be obliged and look forwaqrd to hearing from you. roseldr

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rose
    A very warm welcome to this forum, I am also a grandma, you have come to the right place, the people on here are really friendly and we all support one another.
    I am sorry I cant help with your question but I am sure someone will give you some answers very soon.
    You take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • roseldr
    roseldr Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    Many thanks for letting me know I was doing something right and for your words of encouragement.
    Roseldr x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Rose

Yep you got it sussed pretty quick!!

Now I suggest if you havent already that you post your question on teh living with arthritis forum - this should get you some replies - others have definitely had hand surgery so someone might be able to help.

Welcome form me too :D

Love

Toni xx