given a caster oil plant.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 22. Apr 2010, 09:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have just been given a caster oil plant which I was about to transplant into the garden but had a quick peek at a website first. It says the seeds/beans are very harmful and make you very sick. You should wear gloves when handling . It is so beautiful and I was looking forward to re-planting it but now I have big doubts.

So now i have to dispose of it unless any of you have any advice.
Is it worth the risk?
Have you any ideas Joan Lawson?
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Could you plant it, in rubber gloves and put a fence round it if its big enough? If you decide to dispose of it I think I would burn it, but talk o the person who gave it to you as they might be able to help you on how difficult/dangerous it is.

I know I had an indoor plant, it was one from the Lilly family and they said touching the leaves would give you a sore throat but it never did.... I think it was a leopard lilly?

I f you like it I think I would try and find a way round the kids getting near it and plan t out..... Luv Cris xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    yep erring on the side of caution is where I am at what with my son not having a very good understanding of danger. It belonged to OH mum and I thought it was a Fatsia Japonica, which is a beautiful plant, but she said it is caster oil plant and she was getting rid of it. Its been in her garden for years and the kids have never touched it...not so far.
    Not sure I want another tall tree close to the house as we have quite a few already and they make me nervous when the wind doth blow.
    Going to take a look at Rehabs site.
    Thankyou all
    Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Okay I have come to a conclusion. Despite its beauty I am not going to plant it. They say educate your children on the danger but I cannot really do that. It sheds its seeds everywhere and little children might forage for them so it is goodbye, au revoir,auf wiedersehen...
    I might get a fatsia japonica in its place.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein