Any tips about kettles and irons

Options
margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 13. May 2010, 06:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I foind it hard to lift my iron and kettle as they are quite heavy anyone out there know of any lightweight items i can use? also a good light weight ironing board? Are there any things like these available? :?:
Margaret

Comments

• salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hello margaret an ot could provide a kettle tipper or you can buy one from a mobility shop (use a plastic jug to fill it up save lifting kettle) or usr a travel kettle
    as for ironing....i just dont do it!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    salsal wrote:
    hello margaret an ot could provide a kettle tipper or you can buy one from a mobility shop (use a plastic jug to fill it up save lifting kettle) or usr a travel kettle
    as for ironing....i just dont do it!

I couldn't have put it better myself! exactly what I would say too Margaret...or if you hate the thought of un-ironed clothes get someone else to do it for you if you can.

Iris x
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Id definately recommend a kettle tipper, I'd like one myself, until then Ive been using a measuring jug to fill the kettle with just enough water for a cup of tea so it's not too heavy.
    I use it for filling my pans too when I'm cooking vegetables and use a metal strainer in the pan to put the veg in so Im not lifting the whole pan of water when they're cooked.

Im sorry I can't help with regard to ironing. I tend to sit on my stool and just take my time although my wrist strap does help alot.

Hope you get what you need :)
    Caroline x
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    I foind it hard to lift my iron and kettle as they are quite heavy anyone out there know of any lightweight items i can use? also a good light weight ironing board? Are there any things like these available? :?:
    Hi i don't know if you could afford one but i invested an steam press off a shopping site its great as you can sit down and do your ironing you just put it on a table top, i find it much easier and know my OT bought my perching stool makes it much easier, i hope this might help you good luck in finding something. Wendylou :)
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting a travel kettle (like the ones they have n rooms in hotels) as they are so much lighter and you can boil just a small amount without having a huge minimum water level.

I have a steam generator so that it is only the iron I lift .... not all the water. I also find that wearing my working splint on my dodgy wrist (prescribed by my OT) really helps.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I only fill the kettle with as much as I need to save weight
    I also have a kettle with a larger handle so I can grip it with both hands
    A more radical solution which I’m contemplating when I finally get round to designing my own house is a boiling water tap which is something like this: http://aquahot.co.uk/index.php?action=store&id_prd=2262 so no lifting required

With regards to ironing, I’m another one from the not doing it camp – my husband has to wear shirts for work everyday so we found that having a tumble dryer and setting a timer to remind us to take them out immediately as they are finished - got us round the shirt ironing issue and they look fine. This has less to do with my RA than the fact I hate ironing and don’t really have the time or inclination to do it
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi I too can't use my iron so I bought a steam press from a shopping channel which is much easier to use, as for the kettle I've bought a Breville hot cup, you get someone to fill the back with cold water or just pour a but in yourself put your cup under neath press a button and you get boiling water in seconds. Pluss it saves on electric :)

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have a Tefal quick cup. Hot water just comes out of a tap at the press of a button. I have no more lifting boiling water and if I want a cuppa I dont have to wait.You can use a lighter and smaller jug or cup to refill it if you need too. I would recommend it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, All the tips about the kettle are good, I have this problem and I can manage as long as I only put a small amount of water in. Also I have just swapped my old jug kettle for one of the dome shaped ones, a bit like the old fashioned ones and its handle on the top makes it feel easier and better balanced, so it feels lighter.

As for the iron, do as little as possible, but I don't fill the tank with water, and take the water to the iron. I had to buy a new ironing board recently and went for a wide one with a sort of hole that forms the tilted iron stand, so I don't lift the iron. It does set my wrists off, though.

Love Sue
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    My dad got me a tefal one cup which is great, just push a bottom and out pops a cup of hot water.

Not so good when you want more than a cup but they have just made a dual one, cordless kettle and one cup on one stand. Will be having one of them when the price comes down £75! I think not!

Pluggxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    My dad got me a tefal one cup which is great, just push a bottom and out pops a cup of hot water.

Not so good when you want more than a cup but they have just made a dual one, cordless kettle and one cup on one stand. Will be having one of them when the price comes down £75! I think not!

Pluggxx

If you'r making two cups at the same time, then you have someone to make the cup of tea, with an ordinary kettle!!! Don't forget the biscuits!!! :wink::wink:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    [
    If you'r making two cups at the same time, then you have someone to make the cup of tea, with an ordinary kettle!!! Don't forget the biscuits!!! :wink::wink:[/quote]

I like it Sue!!

No sugar for me please :D

Love

Toni xx
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I dug out my travel kettle fantastic now i can lift it!!! :D
    Margaret
  • mirendou
    mirendou Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Margareth this is a problem for so many Arther sufferers and to give you the best advice possible I will presume you have a OH and that he is able bodied?? (sorry if you are on your own or OH is also disabled) well you show him where the ironing board is and the iron and give him a basket of washing and hey presto no need for a smaller iron or ironing board, as for the kettle I have struggled on that front for ages and can’t find one unless you count the camping kettle which sadly holds only enough water for 2 cups which is fine when we are just the 2 but no good with visitors, so when I wake up from my dream of OHs doing the ironing I will apologise for my lack of help and wish that you have a pain free day :lol:
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    With regard to kettles, look out for the ones that have a hot plate on the bottom rather than an element. That way the minimum filling amount if greatly reduced.

The problem I used to have was that my ex would always fill the damn thing to the top meaning I couldn't safely lift it when hot. I never got through to him but now he's gone along with lots of problems. :)
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Can't help with the kettle but a good folder beats a good ironer any day also I bought a couple of years ago a peeler that fits onto your finger and then you just sort of wipe the carrots etc very easy and it peels the veg, also a small plastic tool that releases the vacuum on jars for easy opening. a can opener any good kitchen store sells them or your local disability shop. a long handled dustpan and brush when you have got arthritis you have to adapt nearly every aspect of day to day living as I am sure you know.Any one else got any tips??
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options

Pluggxx

Our Tefal quick cup can do about 5 cups at a time.As water comes from pressing a button there is no lifting and can even be filled by using a smaller jug(but several trips to the tap to fill it).
    Only problem is it uses filters which need to be changed and are an extra cost on top of the initial outlay of buying the Tefal.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In the Daily Mail yesterday they had an article on a new invention, designed for arthritis sufferers - I think it was called a Kug. It consisted of an outer mug, complete with element and a removable, inner mug in which you make your drink. Put in the ingredients, switch it on and away you go. It's worth checking this out, I think it will be in production soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben