Volcano ash & Holidays.

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 25. Apr 2010, 09:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was out last night and heard some awful stories due to the volcanic ah clouds.
One of my mates daughters went to Disney world, Paris with her husband and daughter. To get home they had to go to Cannes, then to Bilbao to Portsmouth, then to London Victoria, then he picked them up exausted in Chester. All told it cost them £1300 to get home.
Another chap I know quite well, should have been going to Benidorm yesterday and that was cancelled, Thomsons said to him that they would transfer his holiday to a later date but within one month, well he's taken this two weeks off for this holiday and has no more holidays to take. They told him he either rebooks with them or lose the entire amount of £1150. Poor chap cant get the time off work, nor his wife.
He's going to plead with them today, but they say that their rules are there and cant be broken.
Doesn't it make you mad when you hear such stories?
Ron
xxx

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It does, Ron. We're due to gly out to Germany for a weekend in May for a family party and are hoping and praying all this gets sorted before then.

Has your mate tried selling on the holiday to someone? Can he pay a fee and transfer the names on the tickets?

Nx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Ron

Yes, I have been listening to the news. One poor man had been on holiday and it where he should have been on the plane and home again within hours it had now taken him 3 days and he was in a long line of people at the French side of Euro Tunnel. So they were not home yet, just in a queue.

When you hear of how peeps have been treated, it is disgusting.

What do these travellers do when they do not have the money to pay for their extended stay??

I have heard that Richard Branson of Virgin, has put his travellers in motels and made sure they have food.

I dread to think how much worse it would have been if it had been the summer holidays.

Trish
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    We holiday here as we can't handle airports, it's never been fun more of a pain in the bum even without a volcano!.
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    That sucks... but...for every bad story there's a good one - my pal's family have been 'stranded' in tenerife for an extra week, their insurance is paying for it all and the parents are self employed with employees looking after the business back home. they're loving it!! jammy so and so's!

I hope I get to fly on Sunday, can't wait for my holiday in the sun.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    i know its been bad for people wanting and needing to get home but i have not heard anything about the people that have been caught up in it all from home here my son was due to fly out to corfu on the 16april for work but he cant get out till the 30th , hopefully the job will still be available ,
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Ron

There have been so many people affected by it all havent there?? Most of us know someone....

I hope it sports out soon for everyone - especially people who are on here :( Caprica I hope you get out on Sunday - you could do with this break...

Will be hoping :)

Love

Toni xx
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Good luck, Caprica. Hope all goes well and you have a great time.

I've already posted on another thread but I was supposed to go to Canada on Tuesday. Our flight left from Amsterdam but we couldn't get there from Norwich to catch it.
    We have the promise of a flight refund but the accommodation is in the balance still. We may be allowed to transfer the date, or we may still lose all that money. Neither the insurance nor the credit card company will accept any responsibility for loses.
    My son and daughter who were going with me are also tied by their annual leave and couldn't just rebook when the airline could offer us something so we had to accept a refund or lose that money as well potentially.

Kaz
  • bertyboy
    Options
    please dont get me wrong i hope everybody that has been caught up in it gets their full refunds and compensation for time taken for holidays my point was its all been about people needing to get back to the uk and nothing about the people that want to get out xx
  • rondetto
    Options
    We are due to fly out on Monday, we've been told to ring the airline on Sunday to make sure the flight is going.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    please dont get me wrong i hope everybody that has been caught up in it gets their full refunds and compensation for time taken for holidays my point was its all been about people needing to get back to the uk and nothing about the people that want to get out xx

You have a point there bertyboy!. Oh good luck with the bionic flipper!.
  • rondetto
    Options
    Our flight is on so see you all in a weeks time. :D
  • bertyboy
    Options
    we have managed to get my sons flight changed he now flys out in the early hours of monday morning so we are of to gatwick later tonight x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    rondetto wrote:
    Our flight is on so see you all in a weeks time. :D

Have a lovely time Ron :D

Save some laughs for when you get back

Love

Toni xx
  • rondetto