Wonders of the universe

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 24. Apr 2010, 12:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

It's 20 years ago since the Hubble Space Telescope was launched on 25th April, 1990. Since then, it has sent back wonderful pictures of the universe. You can see them on this link:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire

They are very beautiful, and they make me realise what a tiny place we occupy in the universe.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan yeah been and had look this morning, really good pictures, put a lot of things into perspective some what, still I want to know what was here before the universe was born some 13.5 billion years ago!, (how do they know it was then?), sadly I fear we will never know the answer to that.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    So many unanswered questions, aren't there :?: Where does it all end :?: Infinity is a difficult concept, isn't it :?:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

William Blake
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Fantastic pictures, Joan. I try not to think about space too much because it's too much to cope with. I mean, if space isn't infinite (how do we know it won't end at some point?), then what is there after it ends?

Also, before this whole big bang theory and the universe started expanding, then what was there THERE? Nothing? What's that then?!

It's all too much for a Friday afternoon!

Nx
  • mellman01
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I try not to think at all, it makes my head hurt and confuses me

What rehab I thought you held the truth deep in the bunker!, so what's in the back room with the sign on it saying beware of the Lepoard then?,don't tell me it's Elvis who's in there!.
  • mellman01
    Options
    What not just Elvis! don’t say you have Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin back there as well!?, I don’t believe you have shaking Stevens in there as well, it’s a well known fact he now advertises Cilit Bang masquerading as that idiot Barry Scott.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Rehab and Mellman, now there's two wonders of the universe :!: :lol:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joan

I have been getting pictures from the Hubble for years now. It is amazing what goes on.

I think Last year they found a star had been born. I have had some amazing picture sent over the year now.

I find it facinating all the wonders that are in this world of ours.

Trish xx
  • mellman01
    Options
    I can't wait to see what it's replacement is like, 20 years is a long time ago, now with HD and true digital cameras it's going to blow the socks of the dear old Hubble telescope. If you have seen the latest pics from the mars prob that currently in orbit around the planet you will know what I mean.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I've always thought there is alien life out there but they're giving us a wide berth because of the mess humans make of everything. If they're smart enough, they'll keep us at arms length!

Nx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I assume Joan that you watched Prof. Brian Cox on BBC1 and 2 on his programme "The Wonders of the Solar System"

Now, if anyone can explain it all better than he did, then they must be very very good. Prof. Brian Cox was amazing. I fell in love again.
    Joy
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Joy

Yes, I did watch the programmes with Prof. Brian Cox. I thought it was a very good series, and he was brilliant at explaining things.

Very dishy too :!: :D :oops: