ESA : a long ordeal

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 29. Apr 2010, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
Just to let anyone who remembers know that my ESA claim has gone to appeal. I had the letter yesterday. Now I have to wait for the tribunal to contact me with the papers telling me what I have to do apparently. They have answered my complaints that the doctor had not given any consideration to the level of the problems I have with walking, using my hands, lifting and carrying things etc. They say that I should expect a level of pain and unless it is intolerable their is no reason why I can't do movements repeatedly. They say I am able to do any form of suitalbe work and am not disabled enough to be a problem with work. I should expect a level of pain, and fatigue and it will not harm me. Words to that effect.

My GP is really cross, she is going to give them another report and refused to give me a 'fit for work' certificate. She has signed me off for another 6 months and ticked the form to say she will not let me back to work at the end of this time without a proper medical examination and that I would not expect to pass. I feel between the devil and the deep blue sea, as they say.

I just wish I could turn back the clock and work again, in a job I loved and was good at.

I feel that I can't face the tribunal, and as we can manage, my husband says that my mental health is suffering and he would be happier if I forgot about benifit. The trouble is that as much as I want to do that and may well have to, its letting everyone down and giving in to an unfair system.

Sorry, a long moan. Love Sue

Comments

• annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sue,

I know exactly how you feel, I am waiting for a date from my DLA tribunal. The way we are treated is scandalous.

Your health is important and if you feel you can't fight, don't. Whatever decision you make should be for you. I know you have got a lot on at the moment waiting for diagnosis and this is another burden.

One thing that popped into my head though is your NI contributions. Will you pay these yourself, I know you aren't at retirement age yet?

Love Anne

p.s Any support I can give you just ask, i have had the tribunal forms.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Woodbon. I'm new - only registered yesterday and I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble. You seem to have a good GP supporting you and that has to be a blessing. It doesn't, however, detract from the fact that you are having to fight so hard for something that you need. Take time out, re-group and fight on! It seems to me that some get everything with no effort - they are the ones willing to cheat and lie, and they are the ones that give the rest of us such a hard time. If you don't ask, you don't get. In the meantime, do the Lottery! Good luck and enjoy the promised week-end sunshine. Soak up that Vitamin D! Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sue, you have to do what is right for you.

It seems as if they were very dismissive of your pain and fatigue. How would they like to work through pain and fatigue? If you do decide to appeal you should tell them the pain is intolerable and also the fatigue. Also about the mental distress it causes you. I really feel for you and think you are in a rotten situation.
    Take care.
    Sally xxx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Sue

I know exactly what you mean. I know what you mean about having painful hands. I only have to be on the computer for an hour and my hands are so painful the whole time. I shouldn't do as much computer work as I do. I do not hve the strength to pick anything up, even a bit of ironing. I have another set of DLA forms again, and not one bit of it, can I see at the moment concentrates on your hands the ability to do things for yourself or anyone else.

You must be thoroughly sick of the whole thing.
    I really feel for you. Just stick on in there. Try and get your rest though and don't let them drag you down.

Joy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

After the length of time this has dragged on for you its not too surprising you re feeling you want to just forget it. You do have a very good gp there and well I agree with the others you must do whats right for you. Don't do anything hasty though and well I so hope it gets easier and its just so wrong your in this position...... your gp gets it so why can't the pen pushers? I so agree with Joy in not letting them get to you and just do whats right for you. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    Hi Sue it makes my blood boil for you and others that are having to fight this system of none caring no-nos , keep a diary of the way it affects you , and what you can and cant do on an hourly basis if you stumble in the day or you drop things or your fingers lock round a pen or something it can all be relevant as can the time it takes you do do things , please don't feel pushed into making the wrong decision hugs to you xxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Oh Sue

i am so sorry you are having all this stress and anxiety to contend with :(

A bid part of me totally understands where your husnabd is coming form. I really feel for both of you.

Your GP is the one who knows you best apart form him though and she supports you.

If i were you I would try to forget it for a while if you can (asking the wrong person to do that aren't i?) get your stregth back and then see if you can face it. Think - it might just be what they want....people like you to give up.

Take care Sue

Love

Toni xx
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Look at all the support you have here, please dont give up what is rightfully yours - its what they want and this is why theyre treating people the way they are.
    I know its not the same but I failed my last ESA medical, the "doctor" blatantly lied in his report and I was put on jobseekers, I was so down and felt alone, and thinking Id be fighting a losing battle I accepted it and Ive regretted it ever since. I wish now Id sought advice on that "doctor" and taken it further!
    Its all about cutting costs and theyre picking on the vulnerable its just not on and we all need to get angry and fight, easy for me to say I know after letting them beat me down but Ive started the process again, more things wrong with me, Im aware of what theyre up to now and I will fight! But nobody knows you better than yourself and how far you can take it, put yourself first because these so called professionals that run the system wont, dont give up whats yours by rights.
    Im so angry people are being made to feel this way for being unwell :x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thank you all, the support is wonderful, you don't know how much it means and how it keeps me from giving up ages ago. I know all the arguements and I want to keep going, its just hard to cope with all the paperwork, as well as worrying about coming tests etc.

You all know what its like and have had the strength to go through it. I think, given a few days, my fighting spirit will return and I'll want to go on. Its not about the money any more, although, of course thats nice and my NI contributions are needed. Its really, at the moment about being believed, feeling valued as a person and not just an 'economic resource'. I WANT to work, as so much of the social side of life comes from work-mates. I had a job interacting with lots of people and I miss that so much.

I could go on and write a book, but none of you would need to read it, as you've been there! :shock:

Once again, thank you all, lots of love Sue xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Woodbon, it's me, Dreamdaisy. Had a brilliant thought last night - wouldn't it be good if benefits for the disabled were run by the disabled? i.e. we deal with the claimants and WE decide who gets it. We could spot the fakers, I have no doubt, and at least we would understand what it's like to face everyday as tho we're swimming thro porridge, (average day), french onion soup (good day) or concrete (bad day). Chin up, girl, give the "%&$^£% something to aim at! Take care.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Sue

I have been following your posts, though haven't felt able to post as I know nothing of ESA. :? Other than the ridiculous fights for appeals I read on here, which make my blood boil.

However I know feel compelled to say you do have my heartfelt sympathy. You ARE most definately a VALUED person who does not deserve the ill health, tests and ESA fiascos currently plaguing you. I really do hope you find some fighting spirit to see it through. You are entitled to help and financial support. I really hope the messages of support and more practical advise above does help a little and gives you some courage. I can do nothing but add my hope that things improve for you soon and send a hug ((( )))

Take care of yourself
    Chris x
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi Sue re ESA I hope you get it awarded at appeal if you go to appeal
    I have contacted all my would be MPS about this issue and free prescriptions and this is the response from Green man standing I can only take his reply as being sincere and he says he can win in my area.
    Dear Constituent
    Many thanks for getting in touch with me about these issues and please accept my apologies for not replying sooner - I'm currently receiving a large number of enquiries for the General Election.

In response to your specific questions, the Green Party is opposed to the requirement for people with long-term disabilities and illnesses to endure degrading examinations. If elected as MP for Norwich South, I will push for this law to be revoked so that anyone diagnosed with a long-term illness or disability is entitled to unconditional benefits without the yearly humiliation of examinations and form-filling.

The Green Party also favours free prescriptions for everyone - we would abolish prescription charges as we believe that everyone should have the right to free healthcare and medicines in the NHS. Healthcare should be a fundamental human right, not a luxury for those who can afford it. We have a fully-costed manifesto to pay for this, and we would increase investment in the NHS by closing tax havens for the rich (which drain billions from the UK economy every year) and through a tax on high-risk financial transactions between the big banks to raise £250 billion for public services and social care.

In short, if Green Party policies were implemented, you would not have to endure yearly medical examinations or form-filling and you would receive your prescriptions free of charge. I will certainly fight for this in Parliament if I am elected as MP for Norwich South.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Chrisov

Glad to see you still about :D

Thanks for that too

Will need to make my mind up who i will be voting for soon.....

Love

toni xx
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi toni this promise could be hot air but at lleast he has replied and I think both big parties want to continue these so-called benefit shake ups i dont know about Liberals???

I hope you are keeping Okish :P :P :P :D:D:D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Chrisov

I need to sit and read some and have had no politicians at the door so far....was hoping to quiz them.... as you say it may be hot air, but....at least he replied.

I am not too bad - bit achy at the mo - but have been worse :wink: You doing ok??

Good to see you :)

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Sue,

just caught up with your thread. What a ridiculous situation. You should definitely say the pain gets intolerable. I'm sure "they" would not carry out work if it caused them constant pain. What an absurd thing to say. Thank goodness your GP has some sense and compassion!!

Since these things take time (appeal/tribunal dates) etc why don't you wait and see how you feel nearer the time, whether to carry on fighting or not based on how you feel.

Take care,

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Pain throughout the day builds up in my case and I am sure in many others. I can tolerate certain things in the morning but after a small amount of time I am in discomfort again.When you saw the ESA staff you hadnt been on your feet for a long period of time as you would be if working.Pain may be tolerable for 10 minutes but you cant get a job for 10 mins, have a long rest, then another 10 mins of work can you? Our condition is variable and easily aggravated.They only see you for a short period of time.

I understand your desire to give up as it is so draining but in a way you need to prove them wrong and your GP is on your side and prepared to defend you.
    Its like being charged for a crime you didnt commit!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi Toni I am OK thanks
  • woodbon
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Woodbon, it's me, Dreamdaisy. Had a brilliant thought last night - wouldn't it be good if benefits for the disabled were run by the disabled? i.e. we deal with the claimants and WE decide who gets it. We could spot the fakers, I have no doubt, and at least we would understand what it's like to face everyday as tho we're swimming thro porridge, (average day), french onion soup (good day) or concrete (bad day). Chin up, girl, give the "%&$^£% something to aim at! Take care.

What a very good idea!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know - I'm full of 'em (I wish). How's it going anyway? Any further news, or don't I ask? Dreamdaisy