hurray for alcohol!

Options
caprica
caprica Member Posts: 195
edited 26. Apr 2010, 06:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am the sort of person who has a lot of stupid 'theories' about my RA - probably because it's new and Im struggling to accept that there is NO pattern to it.

Well my latest one is that I feel better after a night of drinking (Im not on drugs which affect my liver btw, so it's ok).

So you know how when you have a cold or whatever people say you shouldnt drink cos it makes it worse? I thought....Hmmmm..does that mean alcohol suppresses your immune system and that's why I feel better for drinking?

Searched in dear ol' google and lo and behold this 2005 article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1291403/
Titled: "Alcohol reversibly disrupts TNF-a/TACE interactions in the cell membrane."

!!!! Alcohol is a TNF-a inhibitor. I knew it ;) Who needs enbrel, lets all get smashed.

I should be a scientist.. ;)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good morning Caprica, a girl after my own heart! I have been on so many drugs that forbid drinking and my blood liver function tests have always been so much worse when I take their advice and give up alcohol. I am currently on Humira, methotrexate, oral steroids, sulphasalazine, naproxen, omeprazole, alendronic acid, docusate and inhalers for the asthma. I've stopped by BP meds 'cos they made me feel lousy, so everyone's jumping up and down about that but I don't care at the moment (I'm going thro one of my rare rebellious streaks - my body don't respect me, I don't respect it.) I am also on at least half a bottle of white wine each night. Makes the painkillers work better, cheers me up, it's a win win. Liver function tests? Figures currently in single digits, better than my chief rheumatology nurse! I'm sure for some it does make things worse, but not for all. All Doctors are killjoys, that's my theory anyway! I will raise a glass or two to you tonight. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Capriaca,
    the article was a bit technical for me - but I think it says you need to keep drinking for the effects to last!! Wonder if you could get alcohol on prescription!!!?? :D:D:D

I add alcohol to my mix occasionally when I need/can afford the time to relax. My pain meds mean I'm more suspectible to the alcohol - so I don't even need to drink much to feel the effects!! My GP gave me the go-ahead!! (I have OA, so it won't help in that respect - but does help my tense muscles coping with rubbish joints to relax a bit.)

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Speedalong, I shall include you in my toasts tonight! Alcohol helps in all sorts of ways - how did the Simpson's put it? Alcohol - the cause of, and the answer to, many of life's problems. Cheers! Dreamdaisy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hello Doctor Caprica!!!! :wink:

Can I change my rheumy to you??

I like the sound of your meds :wink: he he!!

You take care and dont overdo it :D

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Yep me too, a large can of beer, large glass of wine every evening while cooking the meal. I have OA and alcohol keeps me sane and forever cheerful :wink::lol::lol:

Yesterday the alcohol started earlier as I met up with a friend for lunch but still had a can of beer in the evening whilst mowing the lawn. :wink:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Clever girl Caprica.
    I never used to drink but now have a bottle of baileys next to the cooker.Love it...
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Aha! We're all 'fessing up now. Hope you all enjoyed your Saturday night tipples and that Sunday morning ain't to tender in the head department. A joyous Sabbath to you all, religious or not. (I'm not). Dreamdaisy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Yesterday the alcohol started earlier as I met up with a friend for lunch but still had a can of beer in the evening whilst mowing the lawn. :wink:

I can picture that Elna :wink:e020.gifa017.gif

Think i might join you :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    So that's why my arthur hasn't been so bad in recent months! I have to admit that alcohol became a good friend for a while. :? Shame it thins my already thin blood though. Maybe I just need to keep looking for the right form of alcohol! :lol:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    caprica wrote:
    I am the sort of person who has a lot of stupid 'theories' about my RA - probably because it's new and Im struggling to accept that there is NO pattern to it.

Well my latest one is that I feel better after a night of drinking (Im not on drugs which affect my liver btw, so it's ok).

So you know how when you have a cold or whatever people say you shouldnt drink cos it makes it worse? I thought....Hmmmm..does that mean alcohol suppresses your immune system and that's why I feel better for drinking?

Searched in dear ol' google and lo and behold this 2005 article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1291403/
    Titled: "Alcohol reversibly disrupts TNF-a/TACE interactions in the cell membrane."

!!!! Alcohol is a TNF-a inhibitor. I knew it ;) Who needs enbrel, lets all get smashed.

I should be a scientist.. ;)

CHEEEERS, Mines a large Vodka Please :lol::lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:

I can picture that Elna :wink:e020.gifa017.gif

Think i might join you :lol:

Love

Toni xx

Hi Toni
    :lol::lol: I don't usually have little drinkies whilst mowing the lawn, but as I was not cooking a meal and had starting on the alcohol earlier in the day, thought I would continue. What a rebel aye? :lol:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    And here comes the killjoy!! Or, hopefully, the voice of reason.

PLEASE, please be very careful not to start to rely on booze. It`s an insidious little ****. Before you know, those couple of glasses can become a bottle, and so on.

Sadly, I do know what I`m talking about, from experience. At a very bad time in my life, I started to have a drink at night, to help me sleep. Over time, this spiralled out of control. Thankfully, an even worse time forced me to stop, cold turkey. I haven`t had a drink now for twenty one years. I probably could, but, hey, why rock the boat.

As long as you know your limit, a drink is a great way to relax. Have one for me!!..........Ange.
  • c4thyg
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    And here comes the killjoy!! Or, hopefully, the voice of reason.

PLEASE, please be very careful not to start to rely on booze. It`s an insidious little ****. Before you know, those couple of glasses can become a bottle, and so on.

Sadly, I do know what I`m talking about, from experience. At a very bad time in my life, I started to have a drink at night, to help me sleep. Over time, this spiralled out of control. Thankfully, an even worse time forced me to stop, cold turkey. I haven`t had a drink now for twenty one years. I probably could, but, hey, why rock the boat.

As long as you know your limit, a drink is a great way to relax. Have one for me!!..........Ange.

Ange,
    Well done. You continue to be inspiring to me. You seem to be the voice of reason in my head! I thought that I might end up doing the same and stopped drinking to get to sleep a few weeks ago. Oddly, I'm sleeping better now and touch wood arthur hasn't re-visited yet either.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    You are most definitely right, Ange. Decades have passed since I regretted having had too much alcohol on the odd night out. In my dotage I have learned everything in moderation just like my gran used to say. Mind you I must admit I cannot be very moderate where an opened box of chocs are concerned but she could.

Love
    Elna x

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Thanks Cathy, and Elna. I was worried I might be thought a misery!

Oh, Elna, you and and me both with the chocs.

My lads buy me Godiva chocs for birthdays, Mothers Day etc., and I haven`t the heart to tell `em I prefer good old Cadbury`s!.....Ange.
  • c4thyg
    Options
    Can't beat good old Cadbury's or CDM as it's known in my house! :P
  • elnafinn
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    Thanks Cathy, and Elna. I was worried I might be thought a misery!

Oh, Elna, you and and me both with the chocs.

My lads buy me Godiva chocs for birthdays, Mothers Day etc., and I haven`t the heart to tell `em I prefer good old Cadbury`s!.....Ange.

:lol: I agree but I go one further and would often just prefer a large bar of Cadbury's chocolate. :lol: Sooooooooo much chocolate, but I understand what you mean, Ange, one cannot say anything. :) When you think how much chocolate could be bought for the price of the posh chocs! :lol::lol:

You are most definitely not a misery, Ange and it is good that you said what you have because on reflection, this thread could begin to give mixed messages to some who may read this thread.

Love
    Elna x(())

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Ange it is all about getting the balance isn't it. I only drink when I'm happy and never when I'm down ... especially as S doesn't drink and it is only me who has one.

Elna - I'm the same, drink with moderation - but not so sensible with chocs ... hence don't often keep them in the house ... apart from the ones in S's treat tin and since those are his - I keep my hands off!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    You are right Ange.
    I did start to think it was becoming a crutch (along with the other 2 crutches I use when my legs are sore).Obviously having to supervise 3 children with various health issues I never push it too far. My little ones need me.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I feel such a party pooper :oops:

I don't touch alcohol because of the combination of meds...and because I've been told by rheummy not to.. as med+ alcohol increases the likellihood of damage to the liver :roll:

I'll just go sit here on my own then with my pretend gin and tonic (tonic, ice, lemon...no gin) :(:(

Iris x :| :roll: :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course, we all realise that the stuff we're on could react badly to alcohol but I do think the doc's overplay it. Everyone's tolerance levels are different and as you age the hangovers become so bad you avoid drunkeness in the first place! I love drinking, but I hate being drunk, especially now I'm on crutches. I remember trying to get home from the pub, a downhill journey, after a very pleasant session with some excellent mates - all male, much better company than a bunch of twittering girlies! I discovered then, to paraphrase George Orwell, 'two legs good, four legs bad'. Controlling two extra limbs when widdled ain't fun! (But was funny to my companons.) That was six years ago, before the intrusion of the dark rheumatological arts, and hasn't happened since, and will never happen again. Ah me, another pleasure gone. Dreamdaisy