sulphasalazine

Options
jordan7j
jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
edited 25. Apr 2010, 06:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, just a question, I was put on this on 16 April, initially one a day for 2 weeks, then 2 a day for 6 weeks. It says on the container to discard the rest. I have a nurse appt on 20 May, and the next rheumy appt on 16 July. Does this make sense to just stop them after this? I thought it would take longer to even get them into my system. This is alongside 20mg mtx and 200mg hydroxychloroquine. Thanks everyone :o

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jordan7. Just typed a reply and then lost it! New to this computer lark! I too am on sulph and had a graduated dosage to begin. I have seen signs about discarding meds but never on sulph. Mine are doled out at 336 per go and I take 6 per day, ie 56 days' worth of supply but that isn't 6 weeks. You are seeing your nurse soon, whilst you're taking it, so she may be able to shed light on that. I am also on meth but I haven't heard of your other meds. It could be due to a possible interaction with the 200 dose stuff but I don't know. I did, initially, have extensive bruising as a side effect of sulph, but that went. It does turn your wee an interesting colour and it can also stain soft contact lenses, so if you wear those, be aware. Good luck with it, I hope it works for you. It keeps my small amount of psoriasis at bay, I have PA. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Jordan

Never heard of this before....

think you should take some advice...GP? or contact the rhuemy department for advice.

Sure others have taken sulfa and hydroxy....

Love

Toni xx
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I was on an increased dose. From recollection but not 100% sure I think I started on 2 a day then 4 a day then 6 a day. Still currenlty on 6 a day alond with pred and a few others thrown in for good measure. I always though it took at east 6 weeks to get into system and mine took longer than that and am still waiting after being on them for about 5 months.
    I would ring your GP or rheumy nurse or if you are too anxious to wait maybe phone nhs direct and ask for advice. 0845 46 47
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm on hydroxychloriquine, mtx and sulfasalazine but never had to discard them! I slowly increased up to 4 a day and have been on that dose for a couple of years now. I agree that a phone call to the nurse would be a good idea.

Jenny.