Oh no...not the other hip now...

Options
efleure
efleure Member Posts: 139
edited 26. Apr 2010, 07:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello to all on here..hope you are all feeling better with the lovely weather today..would just like to ask those that know these things or have any experience with oa in the hips a question please. I'm having a thr on my left hip, which is the one with the hip dysplasia, in July. My original x ray, about two years ago, when my left hip was not so bad, showed slight degenerative oa in my right hip too. Now since then, I've not had any more x rays on my right one, and all consultations have been about the left one. My right one is now starting to burn and twinge, and I just wondered in the experience of those on here, will my right hip deteriorate as quickly as my left one, and is it worth mentioning to anyone at the mo, medically or just get my op out the way first. I'm sad that after all the worrying about whether to go through with the first one, I'll probably end up having to have two done. As ever, apologies to all who've had far more done .x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi efleure, never apologise for mentioning what's bothering you! Firstly, good luck with the hip op, I'm sure it will be a roaring success. Secondly, I'm sorry that your right hip has started hurting. I have PA, which is similar to RA. My left knee began swelling etc in June 1997 and my right knee joined in in October 2003. Since then the PA has advanced a-pace, hitting ankles, feet, and when flaring, hands, jaw, neck and shoulders. I cannot predict the rate of your degeneration, no-one can, but you absolutely must mention it now to your consultant/GP/rheum nurse. Thus monitoring of it can begin and treatments adjusted/altered whatever. I hope all goes well for you and do tell them! Regards, Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi efleure,
    I would definitely mention in and ask for an X-ray. GP's can request these - but best to ask to see consultant again because he will be able to compare it to the last x ray whereas if the GP requests it he will just get a report from the hospital saying OA in the hip.

I think it is worth knowing as then you know what you are dealing with and can start planning accordingly. Also it might just be hurting more because you are increasingly relying on it in the run up to your op.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Speedalong

PS so the upto now "good hip" has never been dislocated?
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi efluere

If i were you I would definitely mention it to them. I think it may be that you have oput extra pressure on the 'good' one to rest the 'bad' one??

Does that make sense.

Let us knwo wht they say :?

Love

Toni xx
  • efleure
    Options
    thanks to all again....I think you could all be right that I'm putting extra stress on it because the other side is so bad .......ah well, I'll see my GP and maybe ask to see the consultant if it doesn't settle ....and Speedalong, the right one hasn't got any displasia...hope you're all having a good weekend so far....and thanks again...x
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi efleure

I have that problem too. I am having a right THR on 6th May, but have started having a burning in my left hip recently - I'm hoping it's just because it's 'working overtime' at the moment. I had some x-rays done in February and I could see there was no cartilage whatsoever in the (bad) hip joint (it was just 'bone on bone') but I could see a white line of cartilage in the (good) hip. joint - which I was pleased about!

Your Ortho Surgeon would be able to tell you (or your GP if he has received a copy of the x-ray report)..

Hope this is helpful

Marion x
  • efleure
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi efleure

I have that problem too. I am having a right THR on 6th May, but have started having a burning in my left hip recently - I'm hoping it's just because it's 'working overtime' at the moment. I had some x-rays done in February and I could see there was no cartilage whatsoever in the (bad) hip joint (it was just 'bone on bone') but I could see a white line of cartilage in the (good) hip. joint - which I was pleased about!

Your Ortho Surgeon would be able to tell you (or your GP if he has received a copy of the x-ray report)..

Hope this is helpful

Marion x

Hi Marion...same as me in my left hip...no cartilage left....painful isn't it?? And doesn't it feel worse when you are actually confronted with the medical evidence on a x-ray?? So you've only got a couple of weeks til your op then...How are you feeling about it?? Will do as advised and ask if my gp has the latest x ray.
    Liz x
  • efleure
    Options
    Oops sorry Marion, just noticed you've sort of answered my question on a reply to Speedalong.... hope you get it all sorted x
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi,
    I had my right hip replaced last year due to dysplasia and my other hip is starting to give me jip. I had an xray done at my annual review which shows it is not to bad but I know the x rays dont seem to catch the bit were mine wears away the mri does. At present I have stopped walking to try and delay any more ops. You could consider asking for an mri as it clearly shows the state of the hip

C
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I have just posted onto the chit chat forum then clicked onto this forum and a similar question was asked, To have or not to have another new hip have to read these messages more often It seems as though once you have one done it is inevitable the other one has to be done. I recovered excellently with my THR but the knee has taken a lot longer and the hip that is now bad is the same leg as the TKR. What are we to do ??? :?:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm just over 9 weeks post op THR and am seeing consultant in June again and in a copy letter to my doctor {that the hospital sent to me} the consultant says that he will be discussing a second THR in June...not a lot of time between the 2????

Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I had one THR last July( I have R.A). Since then my other hip has slightly deteriorated but is not as painful as the one I had replaced was.I have been told it needs doing now but would prefer to wait as long as possible. Recovery for 2 hips is a bit more gruelling.Personally I would get the 1 done and recovered and then see how you feel afterwards.

Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • efleure
    Options
    Thank you to all who have replied.....think I will wait to see how I fare with the dreaded op on the left one first. If my right hip gets much worse, I'll see the GP with a view to seeing my consultant. Thanks again to all, and here's hoping you all have a pain-free day....x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi efluere

Probably wise.

Your gut feeeling is usually the right one :)

just take it easy

Love

Toni x x
  • efleure
    Options
    Thanks Toni ! Best wishes to you....Liz x