bath lift & Wow

Options
minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 26. Apr 2010, 18:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, you may remember me telling you that i was waiting for my bathlift to be delivered. It was ordered by social worker on Monday & delivered on Thursday(hows that for service) :shock:
Well i wasnt very well on the day it was installed & stayed in bed, not hearing a thing.
I got up, took one look at it & cried. ''its horrible & its going back'' & ive sat on the loo looking at it & been really down sinc Thursday.
Well at some point it was either coming out of the bath or i was gonna have to try it out. So tonight i did try it out.
I left it lowered in the bath as it filled above the seat,then i raised it & put flaps out. Lowered myself into it (i got bubbles & i wont say where :shock: :lol: )& i couldnt believe how easily it was to get in & out of the bath afetr all this time of me wanting a bath & battle commenced :roll: well no more of that, i can now have a bath every night & it will be even easier when we get the folding shower screen next week & eventually get the lever taps fitted. Then i wont have to ask for any help in the bathrrom,as at the moment i cant reach to put plug in or turn taps on :oops:& have to ask OH to do it .I did still hold onto my rails for getting in & out, plus for going down into the bath(im not that trusting)
so reason im posting this is,if you do get to see an OT & get offered the equipement plaese just give it a try & dont think like i did as i was ready to give in as these things look hideous but boy are they worth having.Im now more ready to except the stairlift that ive been offered.
Why struggle on when the helps there. Thats what i was intent on doing but not now,i'd rather have the hideous looking things now i know how much help they are.
debs :D

Comments

• minky67
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Lynn, yes i had a long,hot (muscle soak) Radox bath.

The candles & bubble baths will all be great for xmas thanks :wink:

Its baths i need for the Fibromyalgia & the OT at the hospital agreed its what i need for muscle pain. A shower just doesnt do the same & again im frightened of falling in the shower.
    Thanks for you replie Lynn.
    luv debs
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Debs I'm really pleased for you, I do miss having a soak in the bath, and I don't know what I would do with out my lever taps. Enjoy your soaks.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • minky67
    Options
    Thank Julie, I have a bit of a problem with exceptance, but i'll get there.
    I have got lever taps in my kitchen with are a godsend as i can just knock them with my splints & off again.
    Its just a waiting game on the minor adaptions on the house as i had to wait months for the 2nd bannister rail & bath rail as that got passed on to my housing ****. & the guy 1st turned up with nothing as he hadnt a clue what the job was. then he said''Oh if i knew what the job was the rails are sitting in the yard ''then he went off to do another job. I rang to complain & it still took another 3 months to get them done.
    If that happens this time im straight on to the social worker as i have her number & it will get done quicker. Trouble is when i aint well i cant fight..debs
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Debs

I'm sorry to see your initial horror at having the bath lift installed. I am sure I would have felt the same, but am so glad you have given it a go and can enjoy a bath again. :D

It terrifies me that even now that I often struggle for several minutes often laughing at myself in agony as I try to get in my bath but I do need my long hot soaks they are so good for my OA. The getting out is no problem once the heat has done it's job. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use it as don't even have a shower at the moment. :?

Thanks for giving me hope that maybe if I need one in the future these things exist. It is really good to know that there are things that can make us a bit more independant when we need them.

Enjoy your baths.
    Chris xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    so pleased you like it it will make all the difference as you say when the taps are sorted a bit of self independance back has to be a good thing xxxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Glad it helped you there Debs to have a bath makes all the difference. Hey good luck with the taps. Luv Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Morning Cris :D

Morning Debs!!!

So glad to hear it has been such a success :D baths are GOOD for you :wink:

And thanks for the advice - I hope it will help all of us try out the help we are offered in future :wink:

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi debs, So glad you got sorted so quick this time.

Yes I agree a hot soak is the best. Even better as you say when you get the taps fitted. Enjoy :D Lv. Ix
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Debs,
    that is truly great!! I LOVE baths especially long ones - when I can fit them in - not often enough... They are so relaxing. Shall really miss them after op ...

Enjoy. Don't worry about how it looks.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi all, you may remember me telling you that i was waiting for my bathlift to be delivered. It was ordered by social worker on Monday & delivered on Thursday(hows that for service) :shock:
    Well i wasnt very well on the day it was installed & stayed in bed, not hearing a thing.
    I got up, took one look at it & cried. ''its horrible & its going back'' & ive sat on the loo looking at it & been really down sinc Thursday.
    Well at some point it was either coming out of the bath or i was gonna have to try it out. So tonight i did try it out.
    I left it lowered in the bath as it filled above the seat,then i raised it & put flaps out. Lowered myself into it (i got bubbles & i wont say where :shock: :lol: )& i couldnt believe how easily it was to get in & out of the bath afetr all this time of me wanting a bath & battle commenced :roll: well no more of that, i can now have a bath every night & it will be even easier when we get the folding shower screen next week & eventually get the lever taps fitted. Then i wont have to ask for any help in the bathrrom,as at the moment i cant reach to put plug in or turn taps on :oops:& have to ask OH to do it .I did still hold onto my rails for getting in & out, plus for going down into the bath(im not that trusting)
    so reason im posting this is,if you do get to see an OT & get offered the equipement plaese just give it a try & dont think like i did as i was ready to give in as these things look hideous but boy are they worth having.Im now more ready to except the stairlift that ive been offered.
    Why struggle on when the helps there. Thats what i was intent on doing but not now,i'd rather have the hideous looking things now i know how much help they are.
    debs :D
    Hi Debs i am glad you have accepted your bath lift, i know were your coming from i don't have a bath but i have a shower and i have just got a corner stool and a perching stool well its not untill you try these things out that you realise just how good they are for making life easier, I was a bit nervouse when i got my first shower with my stool i was terrified incase it slipped but know i have relaxed with it know and i can stay longer in the shower were as before i used to rush as i could not stand too long, I have more handy items comeing and i don't care what they look like as my life is much easier with them, so good luck with your gadgets ENJOY keep well . Wendylou :wink::)
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    wow debs ... was just coming on to post about my bath and see you beat me to it :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a bath tonight too :D:D:D:D:D:D:D and isn't it great to be able to have a great soak without having to worry about saving enough energy to think about being able to get out again :roll:

after my OT came last week and looked at the second hand bath lift I'd been given by my Mother-in-law we came up with a plan for how it could work in our odd shaped bath. Well .... tonight it got the full test, and I so couldn't be without it now .... adn first thing tomorrow I'm going to ring someone to come and service it because the battery is a bit iffy having been left flat for so long and I can 't bear the thought of getting stuck in the bath with no way of getting out :shock: a;though Trisher did say that the firemen would no doubt offer to help out :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

so pleased that you too are enjoying the joys of a bath. We will both be a lot happier (and cleaner!) now eh?

hugs
    Wonky xxxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Debs

Great, that is great. You will get used to it soon. You can take it out od the bath can't you??

I had one like that but I could not slide across the flaps at first.

But in the end I used it.
    Is it one of those that fit into a suitcase so you can take it on holiday??

Trish xx
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Thank you for all your replies.

Wonky sorry i beat you to it,Yes so much better to be clean :wink::lol: Im really enjoying my baths now & have been in again tonight. Gettting a regular habit now :lol:

Trish, Its not one of those sorts,this has a fixed back & can be taken out of the bath by removing the seat then taking the frame out. Its a lot of hassle really so its staying in the bath & were ordering a folding shower screen tomorrow as the fixed screen is making showering for the men difficult with the seat in there.

My stairlift is being sorted too as i agreed to having it put in today. :D My life will be so much easier with all this in place :D

thanks again debs
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Debs

So glad you like it. It makes all the difference dosn't it??

You will get used to it in time.

love Trish xxx