So many tablets!!

Options
margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 26. Apr 2010, 15:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone just thought id ask is it normal to be prescribed so many tablets? Im on co-codamol 30/500 8 a day , Tramadol 4 a day, Lyrica 3 a day, Diclofenic 100mg once a day,Robaxin 750 mg 8 a day Then theres my suppliments of Cod liver oil, glucosamine 1500mg vitamin b6 also im on Citramaplan 20mg for depression. Im still sore should i still carry on with taking this amount is this normal for us?? :shock: :? :?
Margaret

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Margaret

It can be :( when things are really bad it can be...

some of your meds though will be PRN (as and when you need them but no more than...say 8 in 24 hours). When you are in less pain you can reduce them :)

I hope the pain goes off soon.

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Margaret,
    everyone is on different combos and its what works for them. I try not to take all PRN meds unless really necessary and that way I feel the benefit more when the pain is at it's worse.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I couldn't believe it when I was taking 35 pills a day for various ailments a year ago. It was so hard to organise. Thankfully, now I'm down to a handful of pills (not for arthur), mostly on an as and when basis and a weekly injection. I think many of us often feel more like a pill box than a person but at the end of the day you have to ask if it's worth it? If it is, then keep swallowing! :)
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi
    I had issues with how many tablets I was taking at one point too, and i didnt have as many as you. When I said something about this to my rheum nurse she told me others are on more - in which i said i dont care about others i care about me!
    As my arthritis has settled down I continued questioned did i still need so many and the number have now been reduced. i think its down to each individual but do question doctors etc, as they dont always look at the whole picture.
    gayle x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry you have so much medication to take, I know that I take quite a few and its always hard to remember when the hospital has asked, I take my prescription list print out from the GPs computer!

Love Sue
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Maragaret, yes, I am a walking pill box too, not all for arthur, most for heart and other things, the fact that you have to remember to take them, plus all the side effects that mount up, does get you down sometimes. It seems to be one long medication round, but, as my Drs say, they are necessary and cannot be stopped, without them, I wouldn't be walking. I try to limit the pain relief, but, it is difficult when you are nearly doubled over at times. I have yet to see the Rheumy, so goodness knows what will be added to my list. :roll: Take care, xxx Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi. Everyone is different and the amount you need varies. I found that by taking Naproxen (a fairly useless anitinflammatory) I then had to take Omeprazole (to protect my gut). They both led to oral thrush (so delightful) which led to further meds which dfifdn't work because I was constantly taking the other two! Thus it goes with Western meds. You start a drug regime to 'cure' one problem and end up taking lots of other stuff to 'cure' real or prevent possible side effects. Oral steroids lead to alendronic acid, meth leads to folic acid, and so the merry dance goes on. Regarding the nap and omep, I was put on Celebrex by the hospital (an excellent anti inflamm) which didn't need a gut protector pill. My GP later put me on the other two and without consulting me or the hospital. I can only conclude that prescribing two lots of med is cheaper than one lot of Celebrex. He doesn't have oral thrush. Lucky him. He can kiss his wife. I can't (or rather won't) kiss The Husband that way. Who wants a yellow yucky tongue in their mouth? Oh the things we have to put up with. Sigh. If you don't like the amount of pills you take, try cutting down gradually. Perhaps start with one of the painkillers, gradually reducing the dose. The medics assist, but basically we should be in control. Good luck. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I have one particular doctor that doesnt want to prescribe anything! I was going to him for months complaining of the pain but he never refered me or even xrayed me i asked for stronger painkillers and he said i couldnt get any stronger than co codamol!!! It took me to see a locum doctor that was new before anything was done!!If it wasnt for her id be in agony still (still sore but when your on tramadol your flying round the ceiling and dont care) she sent me to a&e and i was xrayed and diagnosed in one day!!!! She was marvellous!!! If they were all like that it would be brilliant!!!! :roll: :D
    Margaret
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Margaret,

I hope as they get you more stable you can drop a few tablets but I also think it is quite normal for people with conditions to have to take a lot. mine seem to come in a bucket but its slightly smaller now as the mtx and the folic acid are only once a week and the sulfa were several a day...... Not sure if its better though :wink: I take less than are prescribed, I don't take 8 tamadol; or 6 lycra but do take 4 lycra and if I have knocked my self out them I do take the tramadol, its just as and when I need them but the rest haven't got the leeway either for the bone stuff or the other stuff.

Hey a gp who tells you that's the strongest you can get..... Think I have had to use one of those here and there :roll: Thankfully before I changed doctors the rumo wrote them and said this is what I want her on don't change it! Its too often down to costs...... I hope you will be able to drop some of the ones you take. Cris x