1 swallow does make a summer!.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 27. Apr 2010, 09:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all we saw our first swallow today, also loads of red kites and buzzards, but the best was the swallow, I always keep an eye out for them as it says summers is almost here, when I use to fly my gliders they would come and fly along with it, I would also fly with them as they use thermals for lift while hunting.
It's times like this when I stand back and really marvel at how dynamic nature is, a small delicate little bird flies all the way to Africa and back and all under it's own steam.

Comments

• mellman01
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What about Illegal immigrants then rehab, their migrant but only one way!.

God it lonely on me post, sitting here waiting for just one passing soul to talk to, sniff wail howl cry!!!!!! :cry:

Bugger it I'm off to watch the fools latern.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mel,

Glad you posted this cus I was sure I heard swallows 2 day ago...... Haven't seen any yet but the sound akin to demented budgies and I was sure I heard some...... Ah we get Buzzards and I love watching them do their 3 point triangle, though have no idea what it is they are up so.... they just stand in a triangle for half and hour t a time in the fields....... any ideas? Cris x
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Lynn yeah we get Goldfinches coming in the garden but not often, I did see a pair of Nuthatches today never seen them b4, if the wife hadn’t pointed them out I would have missed them.
    I must say thought that I loved the Swallows, really emotional moment seeing them, it never ceases to amaze me how life is so resilient, something as delicate as a bird can travel the distances it does each year.
    Also in the deep winter when the snow is falling and the temperature drops below freezing and the wind is howling all those poor old song birds have to sleep in a tree, I can’t imagine how they survive. :shock:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Mell, A few years ago a House Martin flew into the kitchen!! It was a race between me and the then Cat. I'm yelling at the cat NO LEAVE and the cat's looking at me as if to say "But its my job" Trouble was I was baking at the time so when I caught it and set free it was covered in flour. I'm sure I heard it coughing as it flew away. :lol::lol::lol: Ix
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I think that bird is STILL coughing Ironic :wink:

We got a Goldfinch too - aren't they gorgeous and Mell...

Sorry :oops: will make an effort to look for the swallows...

Love

Tioni xx
  • mellman01
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I have seen a load of swans recently I am not sure if thats a sign or anything but it is unusual

Yes it means your gonna get flooded!.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mell
    have heard the swallows but not seen any has yet....when we first moved here around 25 years ago the dawn chorus was deafening...but lovely to listen to....what I want to know is where have they all gone...we just get what sounds like half dozen birds singing now :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 96
    Options
    hiya mell ,saw my first swallow about two-three weeks ago,two swallows actually and yesterday saw a mallard duck with a brood of ducklings[must of been sitting on the eggs in all that frost!]buzzards everywhere and the local deer playing peek- aboo in the woods little gentian violets out and the wood annenomes too,and the glorious smell of wild garlic!!! :roll: :roll: yep i think spring is finally here :):):) holmesi
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 96
    Options
    awww u old romantic Mell!! :wink: the only birds i ever notice are the ones that crap purple crap all over my washing :shock:
    hi pixie don,t mention washing to me!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    I've been watching the bats flying about. OMG they are so quick.

Local Church tower and grounds have owls. Tell you what it can be noisy in the sticks. :lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Mell
    have heard the swallows but not seen any has yet....when we first moved here around 25 years ago the dawn chorus was deafening...but lovely to listen to....what I want to know is where have they all gone...we just get what sounds like half dozen birds singing now :?

Hi Barbara,

You know the same happened here about 5 years ago and I phoned the RSPB cus I was missing at least 15 nesters...... They said they had noticed and logged a lot less swallows but there were 2 possible reasons, one obviously was bird flu ad the other were spring storms that could have easily blown them off course or worse. So far we haven't had a spring gale....... I kinda hope it will be a better year for them here cus I actually like hearing and seeing them. Cris x
  • mellman01
    Options
    Maybe they know this country is over crowded so have gone off to pastures new and less populated!?