has anyone tried hydroxychloroquine?

Options
vikki30
vikki30 Member Posts: 20
edited 26. Apr 2010, 14:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

im new to the site, i was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritus in nov last year in feb the consulntant put me on mithatexrate but it triggered my asthma off and made me sick as well as affected my liver function results so had t come off it, the dr has suggested i try hydroxychloroquine, but when reading the side effects theres a chance it can affect your eye sight. Im struggling with the pain at the mo as i cant take ibrufin and other painkillers i have tried make me sick, can anyone suggest anything? thanks vikki

Comments

• marooned
    marooned Member Posts: 68
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    vikki30 wrote:
    Hi

im new to the site, i was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritus in nov last year in feb the consulntant put me on mithatexrate but it triggered my asthma off and made me sick as well as affected my liver function results so had t come off it, the dr has suggested i try hydroxychloroquine, but when reading the side effects theres a chance it can affect your eye sight. Im struggling with the pain at the mo as i cant take ibrufin and other painkillers i have tried make me sick, can anyone suggest anything? thanks vikki
    hi hope you are ok my daughter is on the hydro she has just increased to two tablets she has had a couple bad headaches but is doin ok, she should be taking the mtx with it but she is holding back on that because of the side effects she is due to see doc on the 5th may to discuss it further she has RA and is 23 , xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi
    Vikki

i am on it with no real problems at all.#

It si one of the milder DMARDs with the least side effects...I am on the two and have beeen ok - had flares but been very mild compared to before.

You just get your eyes tested before you start and then again i think 6 months in to it and the optician will be able to tell that all is well.

He gave mne the cahrt they use its called an Amsler Grid you can google it if you want.

Take care

toni xx
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I've been on hydroxychloroquine for nearly 3 years, along with many other drugs. The only side-effects for me were a bleaching of all my body hair - I'm naturally blonde but with the hydroxy. all my hair turned white blonde, everywhere! - and I'm more sensitive to the sun. NOthing that can't be fixed with factor 30 sun cream and a hat!

I have my eyes checked about once a year and they are fine. Sight problems are a very very rare complication of treatment. Hydroxy. is considered one of the mildest DMARDs and least dangerous.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello. I've never been put on it but all the rheum drugs have side effects and it's pot luck what you get! Try it, it may work. If you don't like it, come off it and try something else. It is a labyrynth you have to work thro, and the trial and error bit can take time but eventually, I am sure, you will hit upon what works for you. Good luck. Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    Options
    vikki30 wrote:
    Hi

Welcome to the sight - I have been on hydroxychloroquine for sever years - no problems at all. Do get your eyes tested before you start and then yearly. I think, like others have said, this is the mildest - do hope it works for you.Jane
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Vikki,I've been on Hydroxy for over a year and havn't had any really bad problems with it. :) At the start I lost a few extra hairs when washing my hair but that soon settled down.You should have an eye test done before starting it and then a yearly eye test after that as on very rare occasions crystals can build up behind the eyes but this would soon be spotted by the optitican before it caused any damage. Breane.x
  • vikki30
    Options
    hi

thank you all for your replies, think i will give them a go anythings better that this pain, hope your all ok and thanks for spending the time to reply.

vikki x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    welcome i have been on it since october no probs at all just helps but take naproxen with it
    val
  • vikki30
    Options
    valval wrote:
    welcome i have been on it since october no probs at all just helps but take naproxen with it

can i ask what naproxen is never heard of it
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    HI vikki

yes you should give it a go....naproxen is an anti-inflamatory. You can use these in addition to hydroxy if you want....I have arcoxia and use it when things are badly swollen.

Lets us know how you get on.

LOve

Toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi There, I have had no real side effects with this one. As we are all different, for some reason it did take a bit of extra time to kick in with me. I have it twice a day and also take anti-flams. Hope they work for you and you start to feel better very soon. Ix
  • vikki30
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    HI vikki

yes you should give it a go....naproxen is an anti-inflamatory. You can use these in addition to hydroxy if you want....I have arcoxia and use it when things are badly swollen.

Lets us know how you get on.

LOve

Toni xx

Hi sorry to be a pain but is it like ibrufin as i cant take that it triggers my asthma off, im begining to feel like a right demic theres always something wrong with me lol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Vikki. I too am on Naproxen, and I'm asthmatic, and I have no trouble at all. That, however, could also be due to the fact that my other meds reduce my immune system to such an extent that I no longer react to allergens, so I may be leading you up the garden path. Sorry! The only way to find out is to try. The other thing with Naproxen is that it can cause stomach ulcers so I have to take omeprazole too, to protect my gut. ( As I've said elsewhere today, taking one drug often leads to taking another due to side effects. ) Check this with your GP/rheumy nurse. Take your asthma meds religiously, whether you need tham or not. Good luck. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Vikki, hi, the hydroxy is a good bet. Seems least side effect, I have been on it since Feb with no problems.
    naproxen is similar to ibuprofen, I am pretty sure, someone will tell you if not!! I would think if you cant take the ibuprofen it will be the same with naproxen.
    Re everything else you have had lots of good advice, so good luck. Jay x