on a bicycle made for .....one?

airwave
airwave Member Posts: 579
edited 27. Apr 2010, 09:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
I have this strange feeling that I want to get out in the fresh air and ride into town (5 mile round trip), I thought an electric bike might suit me? I've had to give up my motorbike which was just too heavy, pity.

Has anyone used one or know anything about them or could recommend them?

8) Its grin, honest!

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry no I can't - but sounds fun - hope you find out the info you need.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395
    I have to confess I only checked this thread to see if the grin was here

It was :D

Hope someone knows the answer :)

Love

Toni xx
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Of course my grin is still here, just a lot of people mistake it for a grimace and think of me as a grumpy old fella, they just don't see the real me! cough cough...... :wink:

Now, where are my shades, the sun is out and the fresh air needs to be breathed.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • frogmorton
    Guess what??

I did it again!!! :wink:

You knew I would didnt you!!!!???!!!

hey no-one knows anything to help with your bike then??#

Mmmmm.... best get googlong then..

It is LOVELY here too :Ds020.gif

This you with your glasses on?? Coughing or singing??

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Bumped up a year old thread for you that may or may not be of any use. :wink:

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi. I don't know a lot about them but I have seen people on them cycling up the hill outside my house. I think the 'engine' is quite small and not designed for long distances, it's a back-up system. There must be info on the interweb and maybe your local bike shop could help. I wish you well. Daisydream
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    I rremember that one Elna - good thinking!!

Good memory

Toni xx
  • fourferrets
    fourferrets Member Posts: 44
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3273700/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/3|cat_15701421|Motorbikes,+scooters+and+quad+bikes|16497217.htm

Have no idea if Argos is cheapest, just remembered seeing them on there!

The specs say it does 30 miles on a full charge.
    Not had any experience of them myself, but I have seen one being used for a couple of years locally (can only presume it is the same bike).
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi airwave bottom line is the more money it costs the better built it normally is, the two big things you will need to know about are a) batteries b) electric motor.
    Right batteries, I think the use sealed lead acid and Lithium polymer, lead acid is much heavier but do more miles per charge where as LiPo batteries are very light indeed and can deliver far more useable power but do less miles per charge.
    Motors, Brushed motors are less efficient deliver less power and are less responsive to throttle, Brushless are the new type of electric motors used for many applications, they are far more responsive than brushed, and they also are more efficient and far more powerful weight for weight than brushed.
    If you have a LiPo battery bike it will definitely have a brushless motor in it, if you have a lead acid battery bike you need to check out I f it has a brushless motor, (I’m not sure that a brushed motor can run off a LiPo though), the normal rule of thumb is that brushless are coupled with LiPo and brushed with lead acid batteries. Well they are in the radio controlled model world anyway, these day’s brushed motors aren’t normally used due to the lack of power and they are much heavier than their brushless cousins.

I hope this helps!. :?