pain relief

Options
vikki30
vikki30 Member Posts: 20
edited 6. May 2010, 05:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could advise me of any other painkillers i could take as the locum consultant was useless, i saw him two weeks ago as i had bad reaction to methatexrate, while i was there i asked him was there any other different painkillers i could try as all the one i have tried either dont work or make me feel like i got a hangover and im sick, i have tried tramadol 50mg and 100mg slow release 15mg codeine sulphate, codydramol, cocodamol 30/500 and 15/500 diclofinac the dr said to try paracatamol lol if that simple tablet would work for the pain, doesn't he think i would already be taking it instead of having sleepless nights then having to deal with two young children on my own, sorry for the rant pains just getting to me :cry

vikki xx

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Vikki, my GP offered me a patch ... (didn't take her up on it as wanted PRN as pain worse late afternoon/evening onwards ...) Not sure what sort of patch - might be morphine based. Often used in older folks who can't remember to take their pain meds regularly - but good if you can't take tramodol and codeine.

Worth a try?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • vikki30
    vikki30 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Vikki, my GP offered me a patch ... (didn't take her up on it as wanted PRN as pain worse late afternoon/evening onwards ...) Not sure what sort of patch - might be morphine based. Often used in older folks who can't remember to take their pain meds regularly - but good if you can't take tramodol and codeine.

Worth a try?

Speedalong

thanks for that the other alternative is taking anti sickness tabs alongside the painkillers but my reg gp didnt seem keen on doing that
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Vikki

The patches are continuous pain releif....then you take the other stuff for any 'breakthrough' pain. Soem swear by them. I expect they take some getting used to and I for one would need some anti-sickness tabs....

With kids...on your own... you have aright to very uspet. :(

Have you been to a pain clinic - they have ideas sometimes that we haven't thought of and PGs certainly haven't :wink:

I do hope you are ok today Vikki

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry you have such a lot of pain and not a very helpful consultant. I have tramadol slow release, which work for me. I had the ordinary ones at first on a small dose, as the doc warned me I might feel sick. If so she would have given me an anti sickness medication, but I took them for a few days and felt a bit sick, then I settled down and have been fine. Maybe an anti sickness drug would help you? Have you thought of talking it over with your GP? It might be helpful.

Love Sue
  • polly1985
    polly1985 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    hi,
    i know how u feel my pain makes me want 2 cry 2. Im still waitin 2 c a rheumatologist but my gp gave me tramadol 400mg slow release so that there is a constant level of tramadol in my system, and u only take 1 a day. along with diclofenac and paracetamol. unfortunatly this still doesnt help me but it may help u, every1 is different. when i 1st starte takin tramadol 50my i would hallucinate etc, but thats all calmed down now. jus keep goin back 2 ur doc. i have been back and fore for 5 years and they only now know wat is wrong. dont loose heart they will find somethin 2 suit u. im a nurse and a strong believer that no1 should b in pain.

hope u get somethin soon,
    polly xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    As it has been said...we are all different. I was on paracetamol from being diagnosed with arthur in both hips for 7 years until I went to my GP and said I wanted something stronger..he sent me to a consultant and he said 2 new hips Help LOL I've had one done and they sent me home with tramadol but I still kept waking with pain during the night. I now take paracetamol and codein phosphate 15mg. The codeine I take 2 at 6pm and 2 at about 10pm and take one up to bed in case I need it during the night. I havent needed the one during the night except the first night I tried this. I'm still not sleeping properly but at least not waking up with pain in the middle of the night. We are all different so I can only tell you what seems to work for me.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena