One of my doctors wants a medication review???

Options
margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 29. Apr 2010, 03:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have one doctor that i was going to since last November complaining of the pain in my back he basically ignored that i was in pain!! Didnt send me for xray or tests and prescribed 30/500 co codamol said i didnt need anything stronger!! I had a script for my antidepressant my husband collected it yesterday there was a note on it saying he wanted to review my meds? And that he wasnt going to prescribe anymore cocodamol as i cant take them and tramadol together? Help whats going on?? :( Tried to wean myself off the painkillers yesterday and pain is as bad as at the start, what can i do ?
Margaret

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good morning Margareth64, how very confusing. No, you can't take co-cod and tram together at the same time, which is what that note inferred. I have co-cod 30/500 for daytime use and, when things are bad, I use tram (50mg) at night to help me sleep. I can't use it during the day 'cos it makes me so dopey. Your GP doesn't seem to have a grasp of what pain is, and what it does to those that have it. Many don't. The best Doc I ever found was one who had worked in a hospice and thus understood pain relief.

If he wants to review your meds then that's fine, but stick to your guns. Explain that your pain levels vary (well I presume they do and docs don't always take that into account) and so you need different strength relief for those times. Take someone with you for moral support if you can. Docs don't know everything, they are not gods, they are mere mortals who are there to help. Good luck. Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Why don't you go to see a local pharmacist and ask their advice so that you go armed with some ammunition when you see your gp. I have read that you can take both together but I do not know what strength of tramadol you are taking and also what other meds besides. You mention antidepressants too.

I would go to a couple of pharmacists, give them the info of exactly what your daily medication is and get their opinions and "fight" it out with your gp.

Good luck

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Margaret

I have to have a meds reveiw at the doctors at least once a year. I think it might be necessary good practise.

If the consultant prescribed the tramadol - he shouldnt take them off of you.

My daughter who has epilepsy also has to have a regular meds reveiw - even though the meds and doses are decided by the peadiatrician and the neurologist...far more qualified than our GP in my opinion.

Try not to worry and panic and reduce meds. Take someone with you who can back you up and tell him how it is. he may refer you to a pain clinic??

I hope all is well

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Margaret,

I also have yearly meds reviews as run of the mill things but this sounds different in respect that he is saying he will not prescribe. I think you might be better to make a appointment with a different doctor in the practice if you have one and get some different help. Have you had xrays? I know you said this gp wouldn't send you but I really do think gp's have little to no understanding of long term conditions........ my old ones certainly didn't!

There are so many 'safe' combinations of antiflams and pain relief available and sometimes it can take time to find the one that suits you and I just think it might be an idea if they referred you to someone who can tell you not just how to control the pain but why its there in the first place....... Its often better to see a different practice doctor if you have a wall from the one you normally see. I really hope they will get something sorted for you and let us know please? Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi
    Its good practice for your doctor to give you a medication review, otherwise you may be taking something you don't need but not getting something thats better for you. When I was at work (Care Assistant, our GP used to make a day of it and go around all the patients reviewing the medications. She used to ask us about the problems the residents where having as well as talk to the person and any family. Often you'd see an improvement later.

Sorry, I've gone off your track, but I hope that you will find the review a chance mention all the problems you'r having, discuss what medications are best and why you need or don't need them.
    Try and be positive, as that will help you. I'm good at giving advice but not so good at taking it!!!!! :oops:

Good luck with the review, love Sue
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi margareth64
    My doc has prescribed co-codomol 30/500 (2 four times a day) and tramadol (1 up to four times a day). I queried taking these two together and she told me that because tramadol dont have any paracetamol in them they are safe to take together. Ive been taking co-codomol 30/500 for several years and added the tramadol in December 09. I try to restrict the tramadol to maximum of two per day, but on bad days I have had the four tramadol and my co-codomol. A lot of people say tramadol makes them dopey. I have never noticed this side affect but I know that they help me to sleep better at night.
    Trisha
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I have one doctor that i was going to since last November complaining of the pain in my back he basically ignored that i was in pain!! Didnt send me for xray or tests and prescribed 30/500 co codamol said i didnt need anything stronger!! I had a script for my antidepressant my husband collected it yesterday there was a note on it saying he wanted to review my meds? And that he wasnt going to prescribe anymore cocodamol as i cant take them and tramadol together? Help whats going on?? :( Tried to wean myself off the painkillers yesterday and pain is as bad as at the start, what can i do ?
    I called one of my doctors yesterday asking if i could get patches and she increased my Lyrica to 4 a day and is refering me to a pain clinic!!! So one doc is wanting me to stop my tablets and one is happy for me to increase them!!!!! Whats the pain clinic all about??
    Margaret
  • cheshirefay
    cheshirefay Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi Margaret,
    Pain clinics help specifically with pain control . It is the best place to go to get your meds sorted and your pain under control. They tend not to diagnose but just specifically treat the pain and have a great deal of knowledge about how pain affects your daily life.
    Some Gps are not confident about prescibing strong pain meds so if you are having probs they will refer you on for some expert advice .
    Good luck , hope you get an app soon.
    Fay x