Hayfever.

wibberley
wibberley Member Posts: 421
edited 28. Apr 2010, 11:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's that time of year again.......almost!

Does taking Dmards have any effect on hayfever symptoms?

I had a great summer last year as the cortizone my rheumy was injecting into my knees kept my hayfever at bay. Unfortunately, I only realised this as summer had almost ended. Could have saved myself a fortune on nasal sprays!

I'm having no luck with begging my rheumy for a steroid injection to see me through the sneezing/streaming eye season, so just wondered if I should expect any changes whilst on sulpha?

Lois x

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    wibberley wrote:
    It's that time of year again.......almost!

Does taking Dmards have any effect on hayfever symptoms?

I had a great summer last year as the cortizone my rheumy was injecting into my knees kept my hayfever at bay. Unfortunately, I only realised this as summer had almost ended. Could have saved myself a fortune on nasal sprays!

I'm having no luck with begging my rheumy for a steroid injection to see me through the sneezing/streaming eye season, so just wondered if I should expect any changes whilst on sulpha?

Lois x

HI Lois,

interesting question because I have found that my hayfever has been worse as the years have gone on and I have taken more and more DMARDS.

I questioned my GP about if the DMARDS were making things worse and she was of the thinking that if anything they should dampen down my symptoms as they suppress the immune system.

Sadly my immune system hasn't been listening, so like you I'm armed with a nasal spray from early in the year. I actually start much earlier these days ... have been using my spray for nearly 6 weeks now. The rape seed is almost in flower round here and added to the blossoms I am really feeling it.

As for spending a fortune on nasal sprays dont you get them on prescription? I do & it is so much easier. if you already get quite a few meds monthly & have to pay for them then a Prescription Pre-payment card would be well worth it & that covers as many meds as you need in the time (3 months or 12 months are available).

hope that helps

WOnky xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi Wibberley, Hope you're well. I am pleased to report that with the drugs I have for my PA my hayfever/eczema/asthma have disappeared! Yippee for me! But I do remember very clearly the hell hayfever produced. I took part in the early research that led to Beconase being developed, and highly unpleasant that was too. I have also used that gizmo from Lloyds Pharmacy. It has two prongs that you stick up your schnozz and it uses light therapy to inhibit hayfever symptoms. It's not a drug therapy and apart from the prongs, non-invasive. It worked for me and it is currently on offer, I believe, at half price, £14.99. Also taking a spoon of locally-produced honey is also thought to be effective - that didn't work quite so well for me but a friend swears by it. She's even thinking of keeping her own bees now! Good luck with it all. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wibberley
    Many thanks Wonky and Dreamdaisy,

Not sure if I'd be eligible for the pre-payment card as I only get Sulpha on prescription but will look in to it.

I saw those prong things on the telly once! Might give them a try (when no-one can see me!) as I'd rather not treat it with meds if I don't need to. Every year I leave it too late to try the honey - must note it in my diary next year to remind myself extra early!

My eyes area already starting to feel irritated despite the fact we only stopped getting overnight frost a week ago. Think this might be a tough year for us hayfever sufferers! :cry:

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    It's best to work out the costs. The prepayment costs £10.50 per month for 10 months, I think, ie £105.00 per annum. If your scripts work out at more than that, over the course of a year, it's worth it. Qualification isn't based on health - it's based on cost. Three month certificates are also available. Your pharmacy should have details. Regards, Dreamdaisy
  • Wonkylegs
    wibberley wrote:
    Many thanks Wonky and Dreamdaisy,

Not sure if I'd be eligible for the pre-payment card as I only get Sulpha on prescription but will look in to it.

I saw those prong things on the telly once! Might give them a try (when no-one can see me!) as I'd rather not treat it with meds if I don't need to. Every year I leave it too late to try the honey - must note it in my diary next year to remind myself extra early!

My eyes area already starting to feel irritated despite the fact we only stopped getting overnight frost a week ago. Think this might be a tough year for us hayfever sufferers! :cry:

Lois x

you can find all the info you need about prescription prepayment cards (PPC)on here

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

if you have 4 or more prescriptions in 3 months
    or more than 14 in 12 months then it works out cheaper.
    All the info is on there about it.

hugs
    WOnky xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    saw those prong things on the telly once! Might give them a try (when no-one can see me!) as I'd rather not treat it with meds if I don't need to

Hi Lois, S uses the prongs thingy .... after a recommendation from a friend at school. The research backs up the effectiveness of light therapy for inhibiting the nose from making histamine. Really helps with runny nose - doesn't relieve the blocked nose feeling as much. We got his from Lloyds - they had an offer on.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • wibberley
    Thanks Wonkylegs - I took a look at your link but unfortunately it's in England only and I'm in Scotland. To be honest, prescriptions are only £3 at the mo. which isn't too bad - I remember when they were £7!

Speedalong - I think I'll take a look in my local Lloyd's and see if there are any offers going on those just now.

Many thanks,

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    I thought prescriptions were free in Scotland. Obviously not, must gen up! Dreamdaisy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Lois,

Tis interesting this. I don't think I get hay fever as such but the May makes me sneeze a lot in the eyes run a bit..... sad really since I am surrounded by it in full full bloom :wink: Its pretty though...... Maybe the mtx will stop that as well, an added bonus :D ((( ))) Cris xx
  • wibberley
    Hiya Cris,

How's that gorgeous little Primrose doing?

My friend who owns a livery yard also gets the sneezes when dealing with hay. She wears one of those white mask thingies - doesn't solve the problem but says it helps a bit.

Lois x
  • Wonkylegs
    wibberley wrote:
    Thanks Wonkylegs - I took a look at your link but unfortunately it's in England only and I'm in Scotland. To be honest, prescriptions are only £3 at the mo. which isn't too bad - I remember when they were £7!

Speedalong - I think I'll take a look in my local Lloyd's and see if there are any offers going on those just now.

Many thanks,

Lois x

:oops: :oops: :oops: sorry - I forget to check where peeps are for things like this :oops: :oops:

sorry you can't get them in scotland - seems daft to me ...... but so does a lot of government policy on prescriptions :roll: :roll: