Reflection on THR

Options
denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 29. Apr 2010, 18:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys
I was reflecting on my THR 2 weeks post op tomorrow, and I was thinking about some of you who are soon due to be having it done.

Like me before the op are feeling very unsure of what will it be like, I can reasure anyone that it wasnt as scary experience as I thought it would be, the theatre team are brill and very reasuring and comforting, and because of the sedation I didnt even know it was happening and the most amazing thing that I found was, that I was expecting it to be extremely painful after the op, but I was surprised to find that it wasnt actually that painful.

So for those of you who are due to do in for it for the 1st time. dont worry all will be ok. (and if |I can say that it MUST be nothing to worry about. Trust me!!)
Denise.x

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Denise is right, its nothing
    to worry about.

I had a THR 4 months ago and can only
    repeat what Denise has said.

Good luck to anyone who is due for
    getting a new lease of life (a new hip)

Love Kath x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Denise,

Oh flower thank you for your post..... I was asked if i wanted to go on the list and said I can't just now and thankfully mine have lost rotation and hurt a bit but are not the grinding pain I get in my back yet but I know sooner or later , well thank you so much for your post and well doe and long may you have no problems :D luv and and another thank you Cris x

Oh Kath you too as above :D (((( )))) xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Denise :D

Thank you for posting such a positive thread about your THR operation. We are all nervous about operations, as it is the unknown and the more of us that call in here with positive words about ops, the better as it can only help others. :D

Do let us know how you are going on Denise. It is always interesting to read how people are coping with their new joints.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is amazing, the quality of anaesthetics etc nowadays. Operations are a doddle. You get your pre-op - god, I could do with some of that today, I'm amazed that more medics aren't wandering around in a blissed-out haze - you know nothing about anything, then you gently come round. Post-op pain can be a problem but they sort it very quickly. There really isn't anything to fear, but it's still a scary thing to experience.

After the first synovectomy I demanded The Husband, and, bless the recovery team, they got him. After the second the same crew were on duty in recovery and remembered me. I woke up, they said do you want your husband? I replied with some expletives and demanded morphine NOW. Got it, too! I had four major ops in three years, as a result I'm a little blase about the whole thing. Pride comes before a fall! I'll get my comeuppance with the next one. Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    Hi guys
    I was reflecting on my THR 2 weeks post op tomorrow, and I was thinking about some of you who are soon due to be having it done.

Like me before the op are feeling very unsure of what will it be like, I can reasure anyone that it wasnt as scary experience as I thought it would be, the theatre team are brill and very reasuring and comforting, and because of the sedation I didnt even know it was happening and the most amazing thing that I found was, that I was expecting it to be extremely painful after the op, but I was surprised to find that it wasnt actually that painful.

So for those of you who are due to do in for it for the 1st time. dont worry all will be ok. (and if |I can say that it MUST be nothing to worry about. Trust me!!)
    Denise.x

Well done Denise. My experience was the same. i am due a 2nd THR(no date yet) but I still feel nervous as each operation and recovery can be different. Sometimes I wonder if I have the right to have 2 good THRs.

Regards
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi denise

Thanks for that

Good to hear so soon post operation.

I hope the rest of your recovery is as good :D

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh bless you Denise
    I am due , well in the near future to have my first THR, I should have had it a year ago now, but kept putting it off.
    Reading your post give me confidence to go ahead with it this time, I don't mind telling you I am terrified, its not just the pain but hospitals, and the recovery.
    Thankyou again Denise, I am so glad I found this site, or I would never have had it done.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Barbara12. You go girl! It will all be worth it. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Denise

Thanks for your positive post about your THR.. I am having mine done next Thursday, 6th May, and I am hoping I have a really good result too.

When will you be coming off your crutches? Do you then go on 2 walking sticks and then one stick??

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Denise, good to hear your positive reflection - I had my last op 13 years ago and everyone keeps saying how the op etc has moved on and improved since then.

I'm due for mine in 2 weeks ...

Let us know where you are in your recovery - what can you manage now?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi Denise, glad things are going well for you.haven't posted for ages but funnily enough I've been reflecting too.My hip is just one year old and it's been an amazing year. I'm back at work full time, walking a good few miles,riding my bike, back at the gym, swimming with my grandchildren, going to Florida with the family next month. I am so glad I had it done and won't leave it so late when the other needs doing.keep up the good work. Elaine
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Elaine

Thanks also for your uplifting message .. I am so pleased your hip has been such a success... I hope I will be posting a similar message to yours in a year's time .. I am having my hip done next Thursday and can't wait!

best wishes

Marion
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks Denise...you must have read my mind....I'm too scared to even think of my THR surgery due end of July. I really need to read posts like yours to convince me to actually have it! And to all those due in the next few weeks...best of luck and my thoughts will be with you...look forward to hearing all your stories....Liz x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi Denise

Thanks for your positive post about your THR.. I am having mine done next Thursday, 6th May, and I am hoping I have a really good result too.

When will you be coming off your crutches? Do you then go on 2 walking sticks and then one stick??

Marion

Hi Marion

Most people come off their crutches at 6 weeks, apparently my consultant says you stay on them for 12 weeks, So I will have to wait to see him before I really know when, after that you are off them no sticks just back to normal.
    Denise.x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    LOVED your post Elaine - very reassuring .... GO GIRL, GO!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi Elaine

Thanks also for your uplifting message .. I am so pleased your hip has been such a success... I hope I will be posting a similar message to yours in a year's time .. I am having my hip done next Thursday and can't wait!

best wishes

Marion[/quote
    hi Marion
    Hope all goes well on thursday.I will be thinking of you.remember that although the first two weeks are hard it will be worth it. Love Elaine x