Diagnosis Update.....!

Options
lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
edited 20. May 2010, 00:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw Rheummy yesterday, :cry: Im now getting nervous.... the Doc asked my about symptoms and how it was affecting me. They have not decided what arthur I have, they have been doing tests for PsA, but they are now more certain its OH The doctor said on a scale of 1-100 they feel PsA is 25, and OH is 50+. The Doc said he was going to get me an appointment to be admitted to the day ward to have my knees drained and for tests... i had more x-rays done!

What started to scare me was the talk of a knee replacement..... :shock:

The Rheummy ward called me today and have made an appointment for me for the day before im due to go on holiday!

Knowing my luck they will decide I have both OH & RsA. Infact my own GP did say to me he thought I had a hint of OH when he diagnosed the Gouty :!:

So feeling very sorry for myself..... :(

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lorica,

Sorry you're feeling glum :(

Try not to worry about the knee replacement they can't force you into having them done if you feel you're not ready yet. At least people are listening to you and helping sort you out.

You'll probably feel tons better when you've had your knees drained.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi lorica

It is scary when you're waiting to hear the results of xrays and tests and I hope that once your rheummy's have decided on a diagnosis or diagnoses (you can have more than one type of arther together) that the meds they prescribe will bring it all under better control.

Am a wee bit concerned that you're having your knees drained the day before going on holiday as you will be advised to rest for 48hrs after that procedure....any chance they could bring the appointment forward for you? At least you will get relief from some of the pain and tightness after it's been done...did they say if you're having steroids injects too?
    as that's a good combination!!!

don't worry about them talking TKR....as Linda said the decision will be down to you...and even if they're talking about it that doesn't mean it's going to happen some time soon.

Your rheummys are being thorough which is really good. :D

Iris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    Hi Lorica

I am glad you are getting somewhere now.

That is good and once you knwo - you will feel better as life gets a bit more predictable.

Remember what evr it is - you have been living with it for a good will , but once you knwo you can get the right treatment :)

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You may be feeling glum but I feel envious. Day ward for knee draining? You lucky thing! For me it meant into the rheum dept, sit on a bed, shot of local, straight in with the draining (no time for the local to work) suck, suck, suck and squirt with the syringe then leave. I also would have the steroid shot but it only ever lasted three days. I found the whole process the worst thing about my PA, so took to swigging beteen 50-70ml of oromorph to take myself away from it all. My hospital refused the day ward option and wouldn't sedate me 'cos we were in clinic. The Husband did the driving! And he enjoyed watching it - weird.

If you are due to go away then yes, get them drained in good time so that you can enjoy your break. Nothing worse than hot, fat knees on your hols. Regarding replacement, well you're not there yet are you? You need a diagnosis, then treatment. Knee replacements are not usually the first stop in the journey you're on. You will have your low times, we all do, but try not to fret about something that may not happen. It wastes the energy you need to cope. I hope you have a lovely time when you're away. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I know how you feel and how much you want a dianosis, I'm sort of in the same boat, although I had an ultrasound this week and that showed no inflammation. I hope that you soon have a diagnosis.
    Hopefully you won't have to wait too long, but sometimes it does take a while to pin things down, thats how it is for me! :wink:
    Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lorica,

Sorry its all hitting at the moment. It can be very scary and I hope they can change your appointment for you cus of your hols. I had mine done to a degree with a syringe and needle in the rumo examination thing and it really did help so that might make the poss replacement further off than you think.

To say try not to worry is not going to be easy for you to do but wait and see what the result and examinations etc are and with luck they will sort you out soon. I hope you are going some where nice for your hols? Cris x
  • lorica
    Options
    Thanks eveyone for your comments. I keep thinking i cant be that bad, very little pain today then like this morning struggling to move and loads of pain! :(

The joys of Arthur :!:

Trying to come to terms with it, Im sure i'll get there :!:

Mark
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,937
    Options
    Hi Mark.
    i'm sorry you have so many worries.
    try not to worry about knee replacement.
    i had it done 5 years ago and its like a normal knee i go to the gym and i go on the treadmill and the bike and ball the only problem i have is when i kneel so i put a cushion down to kneel on.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • lorica
    Options
    Hi,
    I have now had my day ward appointment, and now on my holidays!!! :D

The doctor drained my knees, and injected steroids (cannot remember which ones) The doctor has also changed my pain killers. The doctor finally gave me a diagnosis :!: I have OA my last x-ray showed a narrowing of the joint cannot remember the technical term I was just happy to have a diagnosis...... The doctor advised me that if the steroid injections work then i will have to attend the day ward every couple of months to have it redone :shock: so just have to see what happens, but up to press it looks to be working. The doctor also explained that i was a prime candidate for having TKR done.

Mark
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hope the treatment works Mark and you are more comfortable and mobile than you have been.

Thanks for the update.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mark,

Just echoing Legs and hope you have a good holiday. Glad they have helped you and take care. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's good! All drained and away on your hols - lucky you! Don't overdo it 'cos your knees feel lovely, and have a smashing time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben