Options
2»

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Iris,

When I look at my left wrist especially...... well ...... thanks for going for this......

Its better they do what will give you the best movement and keep it pain free for a while. I also really believe they will get it very right and sometimes its better to have someone not too complacent with doing things. Is it the same kind of how long is a bit of string for how many years the joint will be ok for?

Its a while to wait for you but don't read up too much and don't watch any vids and well a ((( ))) and a bowl of rabbit mix :wink::lol::lol: Well tis a Sunday :lol::lol: Sorry Iris you thought I was being nice there didn't you? Luv Cris xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    You had me fooled there Cris...but your norty streak just had to pop out again! what happened to them carritis? you know I'll only spit out the rabbit mix! :lol::lol::lol:

The ortho man said the replacement should last 15yrs...but could be 10 or 2yrs if I'm really unlucky and it displaces or becomes unstable or I fall on it and break it!. He believes though that I'm a 'good' candidate (knew I had to be good at something ha ha!) and with the hand alignment, radioulnar whatsit also being done and splinted (specially made apparently) that he'll achieve a good result.

If...it doesn't work out then he'll consider a new replacement or do another fusion. My hand and wrist are so painful all the time and I have virtually no movement and can't hold as much as an empty cup in it...so really for me it's a positive choice. I am really happy he's doing this op as the lack of useful hands was getting me down a bit.

I haven't watched any more vids....but am strangely drawn to looking again....NOT. :mrgreen:

I know your hands are also causing you grief...so sorry lovely :oops:

I promise to be the model patient guinea pig if you up the quality of my diet. :lol::lol::lol:
    e050.gif

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

oh alright here, apple and carrot :wink:

Is this the same wrist you had the horrible infection in? Which ever its given you so much grief and he is hopeful going to get rid of a huge chunk of pain and also give you back some movement. So fingers crossed its going to really work.... hey more chance it will than it wont!

My kid brother had his hips done at 21, they wouldn't do them till then cus he was still growing. He was told the 10-15 years but he is averaging 20. (he has had a second one one side and the other is pending and he is 44) I think time doesn't automatically mean 10-15 years but they have to say that if you see what I mean?

We re coming with you when its done..... and I know waiting is often hard (I had to wait 9 months with my spine) but try not to let it worry or get to you at all cus you will be fine. Right do you want a few dandelions with that? :lol::lol::lol: (((()))) Luv Cris who has never had either wrists or elbows xrayed but wonders if she should :wink: xx
  • dorcas
    Options
    That's more like it! e050.gif
    lovely apple and carrits......dandelions too....you spoil me... hey! I've just remembered what dandelions do to a body ..they're not called 'pee the beds' for nothing. :lol::lol::lol:

You definitely should get your wrists and elbows xrayed Cris or better still ask for a referral to ortho for an opinion :idea: so that you/ he can consider what options there are? nothing to lose by finding out is there? and timing is important so I'm told.

It is the same wrist that had that bl***y awful infection in it so it's goodbye old wrist and hello new!

I'm glad your bruvver has had such a good result....as you say 'they' have to give us some idea of what to expect.
    I'm not unduly worried about the op...I have a healthy attitude to having surgery but also a realistic level of anxiety. It's the body and mind's way of coping and preparing isn't it. :wink:

Are you all coming in with me for the op? remember the handsome surgeon is spoken for and I've got first dibs after that....don't be taking advantage just cause I'm out for the count! (I knew I shouldn't have told you how dishy he is :shock: :lol: )

I could post my op on youtube ha ha!!!!..... aye that'll be the day. :!:

love and piggy (((hugs)))

Iris x[/i]
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Oh go on Iris - post it on, you'll be famous! I too made the mistake of watching my op on youtube :shock: :shock: sometimes I like to know too much!! Seriously, though, having somebody post their personal experiences can be very valuable - I found it quite tricky getting good quality info, despite it being a common operation, with huge descrepancies between recovery times and a lot of the non-UK sites obviously doing things very differently, so good on you I say! All the very best with it, Josie x :D
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi
    'scuse me folks

I've pulled this thread back up to the top for lorriewr and lavendalady who want info on total wrist replacement.....

hope this thread helps a bit ladies... has some info on twr and fusions that might be useful.

there are other post-op TWR threads too on LWA...

good luck . I know you have difficult decisions to make.

please let us/ me know if you need any more info or questions, am happy to help if I/ we can.

Iris xxxxxxx
  • TinaRibena
    TinaRibena Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi all

I am a 'newbie' to this site, came across it when I googled wrist replacement. Iris, I note your op was about a year ago now and I wondered how things had gone.

I have just had an arthroscopy and now it would seem I am to have a total wrist replacement. :eek:

Anybody's experiences would be gratefully received by me. Please tell me (warts and all :!: )

Many thanks