Physio and hydro!

Options
louiserichard
louiserichard Member Posts: 52
edited 14. May 2010, 05:58 in My child has arthritis
I just wanted to pop a post on here to all mums whos kids have arthritis.

I have suffered from arthritis since i was young (I am now in my 20s). As a child I had physio and hydro once a week and also had a set routine of exercises that I had to do each day at home. I used to HATE going to physio/hydro as I knew it would hurt me and I didn't really understand the benefits at the time. My mum made me go every week without fail and also made me do my exercises everyday before bed. Most weeks she would force me into the car balling my eyes out because I didn't want to go. (We have talked about this since and she said it was very hard for her to do it as she felt so bad but she knew it was important). Anyway all these years on I am doing well (I still have arthritis but have almost perfect range of movement in all my joints).

I've been told it is because of all the physio and hydro as a child. I am so thankful to my mum now for making me do it!!!!!! I can't tell you how much. So I just felt I should post this as encouragement to any mums out there who feel awful for making their children go to these appointments or do their exercises. It really is worth while and your children will thank you for it later on :)

All the best

Louise x

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Louise, what a truly fab mum you have!! I can vouch for what you are saying too. I work in a special needs school and the children who do their exercises at home too especially during the hols when they aren't receiving it at school - do so much better and keep their movement.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Awww that is such a nice thing to say thank you. Kayleigh is 4 and she loves hydro but not at all keen on physio. Well saying that when and if we bloody get it only had it once in two months now grrrr but the last time all she did was scream and cry. At home I call it tough loving but I'm hoping it will help her in the long wrong as i'll ignore her screams to be carried up the stairs make her walk just that little bit further do different exercises without her realising most of the time but it's so hard seeing her in pain all we can wish and hope for is we're doing the right thing but along comes you with the experience and gratitude of having it done to you really helps and has brought tears to my eyes. thank you.
  • lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    Options
    it's so nice to hear from someone who has been there!!! Lucy my 7 year old has gone since she was 2 without being dignosed, she adapted to her life and now that we know we can help it is hard getting her out of the coping and into normal movement!! She loves hydro but am finding it hard with exercises at home as she gets so agressive!!
    I know she is going through alot and we give her alot of leway, but we worry she will never get over this, how did u cope with all those feelings of being ill, were you ever agressive. sorry i know it is cheaky to ask. I was ill as an older child from 11, but have always been mild mannered so can never remember getting aressive!!

I am so happy that you are going so well and i hope that u continue to feel better x x x x