A comfortable nights sleep?

Options
funkymonkey
funkymonkey Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Jun 2010, 10:41 in My child has arthritis
Hi all, I am new to posting, but my son has had JIA since he was 9 mths old. He is now 8 yrs old. Just recently he has been having pain in his shoulder (mostly occurring before bedtime), He is on feldene melts with ompeprazole at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any suggestions to make sure that he has a comfortable nights sleep, he gets so restless and upset about it . He lies on the side that is sore too. He usually drifts off pretty quickly (I think due to his med kicking in) but I want to make sure that his bed is as comfy as possible, and was thinking of using memory foam topper/pillow? Has anyone tried these?

Any suggestions would be most welcome,

xx

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There has just been a topic in the 'Living with Arthritis' forum that may answer your question - do go and have a look.

Personally, I recently got a foam mattress and pillow. I love them both. They've made a huge difference to how well I sleep. Despite that though, I have yet to find anything that helps a painful shoulder when it comes to sleep.

Good luck.
  • funkymonkey
    funkymonkey Member Posts: 3
    Options
    scattered wrote:
    There has just been a topic in the 'Living with Arthritis' forum that may answer your question - do go and have a look.

Personally, I recently got a foam mattress and pillow. I love them both. They've made a huge difference to how well I sleep. Despite that though, I have yet to find anything that helps a painful shoulder when it comes to sleep.

Good luck.

Thanks very much Scattered,

I will have a look at the post you mentioned and if it continues, I will have a chat with the nurse too.

Take care :wink:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    hi

the memory foam is a good idea

but I also found that getting a good position to sleep with a painful shoulder is a fine art, which I became much better at when i broke my shoulder many years ago (ow ow ow teenage high jinks :? )

I found that I ended up wedging myself in the most comfortable position using pillows was the best thing as I tended to roll and wake myself up. I perfected this when I was pregnant and my RA was flaring badly (I get it in the previously broken shoulder :( ) and found that pregnancy sausage pillows are really good at stopping you rolling

don't know if this transfers to an 8yr old but perhaps a big pillow down his side might help too.

hope he gets some relief
    Chrissie
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum, sleep seems to be an issue for so many of us peeps at any age. I don't have painful shoulders .. painful hips and sometimes knees.

I love my memory foam mattress topper - it is great. I got it from argos a middle of the range priced one. When I'm a way my friends put a thick duvet on the mattress for me to lie on and that is a good second best. It might also help to get him a body cushion or a beany bolster or similar to help support his body as he sleeps, if he curled up and hugged it, it might take some of the weight off his poor sore shoulder?

Always free to post on the living forum too as more peeps read it. The young peoples forum is more for young people (hee, hee, durr, how obvious - sorry!) and for parents to talk about specific parenting someone with arther ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.