These train ticket prices are an absolute joke

Options
fourferrets
fourferrets Member Posts: 44
edited 18. May 2010, 06:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
On the spot train prices are high.
If you can book in advance they are considerably cheaper.
6 years ago I had to buy an on the spot ticket from Bristol to B'ham it was almost £40! to book in advance would have cost £10!

Cheaper by coach ? maybe?

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alan

That's a crazy price!! It doesn't encourage anyone to leave behind their cars and travel by train, does it?

With disruption at the airports, congestion on the roads, and stupid prices on the trains, it's easier to holiday at home ( and cheaper! )
    Having said that, I'm off to Croatia next month, so I'm hoping that the volcanic dust won't blow my way.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Alan

Has your mate tried going down to the train station itself and enquiring at customer services? They've given me very competitive prices for tickets in the past - quite often cheaper than online.

Nx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    With my disabled card and booking in advance, I was able to get to London from Kettering return for £5 each way. This was earlier in the year, and you don't have to do it on line. If you go down to the station yourself, you can get good deals. It all comes down to planning.

Joy
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we travel a lot on trains and they do cost a lot more these days and manchester to cornwall a long trip did he try splitting journey into parts some times cheeper that way
    val
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    re planes and volcanic ash, think Richard Branson wants planes up in the air as more interested over his bank balance than safety,cherching (sound of money in till)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,473
    Options
    :shock:

i thought we were supposed to be encouraged to use public transport???

Would have suggested the buses/coaches.

Always have been cheaper.

Even if you can afford the train - you might not get a seat :roll:

Love

Toni xx