Well, that was fun . . .

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. May 2010, 08:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
My neighbours' cats have been busy this weekend. I live in a terrace of ten houses of which three residences have cats, and a new neighbour has moved in over the road, who has two. There are nine in total and seven of them choose to leave their ordure in our garden, either on the small lawn or just dropped onto our gravel path. I have just shifted eight piles of cat manure, such a delightful job. Have their lazy owners not heard of litter trays? How would they like it if I turned up in their back gardens and defecated in a nice little pile?

I have now decided to deliver these piles back to the owners, in turn because I do not know who owns what cat (apart from the lady over the road). I shall lob each offering over the garden gates at the back of the terrace and hopefully the moglets will go elsewhere. Failing that I shall leave lumps of my offerings close to theirs - that might put them off!

I wonder if catty people get fed up with doggy people who don't clear up? If so, and the catty person doesn't employ a litter tray, that is highly hypocritical. I am so tired of having to watch where I step. I ruined some lovely leather deck shoes a few years ago - I trod in a freshly- delivered steaming pile hidden by our slightly long grass and it squished up thro the stitching and over my toes. I can still remember the feel - and the smell!

I've tried orange peel, cayenne pepper, chucking water over them as they perform and leaving piles of my brother-in-law's labrador offerings lying around. I am tired of my turd garden. Grrrrrrrrr. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD you need to get a doglet to borrow i am not a catty person would not harm them but they just dont care where they drop the load , and yes it does smell :roll:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Tried the doglet route - failed! Apparently lion poo is good because lions are BIG CATS and thus the moglets are scared. I think I would rather like a real lion - I could feed it the moglets! DD
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    I can sympathise.
    For years a cat used to wee up my front door so strong it could be smelt inside the house. If i bought those cat repellent crystals it meant it wee more. I bought some pepper to deter which worked but when it rains it washes it away.
    Cats have been very destructive in my garden.
    Yes, i think you should return the poo but think of how you get the message across, not sure how, because if you just throw it back it just looks like the cat has done it on its own property.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Mmmmm

Poor you daisy.

Dont know that much about it, but I am a bit suprised as my cat (and past cats) have always taken great pride in 'covering' their poo afterwards.....I have a litter tray but my kitten (Daisy) prefers wherever I have been gardening :roll: Think she thinks I prepred it especially for her :wink:

Could any of it be squirrel poo? - That does look similar I think.

You take care and keep your shoes clean

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know that cats don't do it on their own turf, so to speak, but it would give them a taste (!) of their own medicine. DD
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Ew, cat poo! My hubby throws sticks and pebbles at any cats he sees wandering into our garden and onto our drive. Doesn't put them off, but it makes him feel useful!

We have real problems with foxes, they seem to go bananas in our garden in the early hours of the morning, destroying plants and anything the girls leave there, like skipping ropes and balls. They have even worn away a path right across our grass!

Nx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cats do not bury it. I have watched from our bedroom window. A slight squat, then they depart, wrinkling their little noses in distaste. Ghastly creatures. DD
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi DD

I think maybe it is because so many cats are living close together that they are marking their territory in this way. Unfortunately, even if their owners had litter trays for them it probably wouldn't work.

There are various cat deterrants on the market, so one or more of those would be your best bet.

There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi DD,

I got cats... a lot but they usually use the tray and well I am so lucky that I have enough land to keep them happy.....

Its a problem you know and I don't know the answer. When I used to have the veg plots mine sometimes would use the turned earth and I put a try of earth beside it and they used that but they are my cats and you have someone else's dong it.

Water half filled bottles can help and you can get deterrents but they tend to not be that good.

As a cat owner I apologize to you and I got dogs as well but they are easier to clean up behind as your with them......

A ((( ))) and well you could try talking to the people, I know it would work on me if someone said..... Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh, believe me, I have tried talking to them! All I get in response is 'Well, that's what happens when you have cats.' That's why I'm complaining - I DON'T HAVE THEM, just their putrid offerings! Their gardens are all lovely and fragrant - mine reeks of wee and poo. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hence the iminent bombardment of ordure! They love the cats so much? Share the full joy of ownership then! Dreamdaisy (thank you for the hug).
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I love cats but mine were brought up with a litter tray & come home to use it so I'm popular with my neighbours.
    Do try lions poo, I've heard it works well. If you don't live next to the zoo or Longleat you can buy it as pellets soaked in lion dung.
    I wonder whose job that is .............

Whalewatcher
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I didn't know that, whalewatcher, thank you! The stuff you learn on these forums - amazing! Dreamdaisy
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi D D yeah its so really anoying we havent got a cat, but we have the same problem as well, we found out where the cat lives and its been around for as long as we been here, 10 years so hopefully wont live much longer,

someone said to try pepper, orange peel, plastic pepsi bottles filled with water, i put that shake and vac on the grass, that seemed to help, but it washes off, people must think i mad putting shake and vac on my grass, but thats what i tried so far, i also tried on of those things that makes high pitched sounds that only cats can hear, but i need them all over my lawn.

this reminds me of a jasper carrot sketch called the mole.

anyway i ask someone i know when i see her infact she on facebook i send her a message and ask her and let you know if she got any ideas
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    i'm with you delboy, nothing like a small rock or better still giving the damned things a good soaking with a water gun. Its got to the stage i've given my neighbour who encourages the things around our terrace fair warning that i've declared war on cats and any coming onto my front or back yard is fair game.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    littlelegs seems to have found the best cat deterrent of them all ...... have a fur fight with one :roll: :oops: (though not intentionally I hasten to add!)

.... the message has obviously got out because I haven't seen I cat anywhere near the back garden for ages, but I must admit that the front garden does get the odd visit. Thankfully not too often.

Mind you it was rather an expensive deterrent, since it cost £40 at the vets :roll:
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi DD heard back from my facebook friend she swears by pepper and big bottles filled with water, oh there always the old shake and vac that what i tried but you leave it on the grass.

anyway i hope something helps
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    fester wrote:
    i'm with you delboy, nothing like a small rock or better still giving the damned things a good soaking with a water gun. Its got to the stage i've given my neighbour who encourages the things around our terrace fair warning that i've declared war on cats and any coming onto my front or back yard is fair game.

k040.gifk040.gifk040.gif

We kinow you don't like us, but please don't throw rocks at us g030.gif

It could injure us and cause us pain, and it isn't our fault. Water is more humane, and is a better deterrent. We hate getting wet. It makes our whiskers go soggy.

Moggies for Justice
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    fester wrote:

k040.gifk040.gifk040.gif

We kinow you don't like us, but please don't throw rocks at us g030.gif

It could injure us and cause us pain, and it isn't our fault. Water is more humane, and is a better deterrent. We hate getting wet. It makes our whiskers go soggy.

Moggies for Justice

Ok Joan no more rocks though must admit their more like really small pebbles to be honest, an exagerration on my part. I don't like causing any animal pain and i don't blame the cats the owners yeah just as i had enough of dog owners walking their pets up our back alley way letting them do the natural,then i have skillfully try to avoid driving my mobility scooter through it.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for all your help and advice everyone. I guess I shall just have to put up with it - I don't see why I should be spending my hard-earned and very scarce cash on expensive remedies that may or may not work.

I have a plan involving a thorn-ridden shrub that grows near our gate. As a display of considerable sensitvity towards our cat-loving friends around here I shall not divulge the details. Should the depositing of ordure continue then I'll start throwing it back. I will let you know the outcome. DD

PS With ref to an earlier post, who or what is littlelegs?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    DD I sympathise.I do love cats but choose not have one of my own(cos they get run over, lost or involved in divorce and break ups) and with R.A feeding them and looking after them could be a problem.

But the neighbour cats and constant kittens do love to poo in our garden. It stinks and it is a health hazard.
    The worst thing was sticking my crutch into a pile in the long grass in the front garden. It was a patch near our front wall that doesnt get mowed. I had to clean it off with a million wipes!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's horrible, isn't it? Cats are really pets for lazy people. You don't have to walk them, bath them and your neighbours do the clearing up for you! Result! DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    edited 18. May 2010, 06:10
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It's horrible, isn't it? Cats are really pets for lazy people. You don't have to walk them, bath them and your neighbours do the clearing up for you! Result! DD

Indeed Daisy!! k040.gifk040.gifk040.gifk040.gif

and that's why I've got one :wink:

My cat does cover hers because I have watched her.

Could be what someone suggested - because you have too many cats in the area and they are feeling the need to mark their territory....
    n035.gifn035.gifn035.gifn035.gif
    Joan you are right - anyone caught throwing things at cats should be charged by the RSPCA and probably would be.

No point in taking it out on their owners - cats are free spirits and do what they want - mine has a litter but she uses my garden.

Has anyone tried hissing at visiting cats??? water sprays are very effective too.

In the kle**eze catalogue I noticed some bumpy stuff you can put on your walls fences to keep them off?

I very much hope that the threats towqards animals are meant in jest..... :(

Toni

k045.gifk045.gifk045.gifk045.gifk045.gif
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    lion poo- can you imagine the cat seeing that....fur stuck up,arched back thinking a dinosaur etc must be about! haa haa....

that plastic bottle has reminded me. i tried that once and did seem to work..
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm pleased your moglet does what they are rumoured to do, frogmorton, but how deep is it interred? Having the little pile sweetly covered by a few leaves still means it's trodden in by the unwary - and that's worse 'cos the bloody stuff is camouflaged! DD
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Have you tried a water pistol ?? a few hits on unsuspecting moggy's usually works. I have a very old cat (20) and my neighbours have a very young cat and of course she was in our garden I used a water pistol at every opportunity. It worked she rarely comes now Also my other neighbour has some expensive pigeons he has bought a cat scarer that works very well