What's your opinion

Options
dolittle
dolittle Member Posts: 240
edited 18. May 2010, 15:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All,
Your views wuld be appreciated. I'm livid! My mum is 104 and the care home has been giving her Chicken Korma. She's never eaten curry in her life and now she's ill with sickness and the other thing wot I can't spell!

Thinking that the lining of her stomach is 104 years old, in my view this spicey food is just too much for her. What do you think - am I just being daft or would you agree.

Interested to hear what you think.
Do

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Do,

104 is an incredible age and I kinda agree not really the time for spice and curry........especially if she has a bit of digestion trouble. What did she make of curry?

If your worried can you talk to the manager? I can't think what their job name is but I think maybe spicy food isn't going to help too much. I know it wouldn't me with my crohn's......

Hey nice t see you and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thats a grand age to get to i hope your mum feels better soon , i would not like to say if it was the chicken korma that made her poorly but i would want to know if she was the only one , hugs to you both xxxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Do

Talk to the staff as your mum should have a Care Plan where her food likes & dislikes can be wriiten. 104 is a grand age and she should have a choice of what she is given to eat.

Whalewatcher
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    my advice would be see the top person ( as they say go to the top )
    and complain, i think age dont matter thr point is she your mum and you want to do the best for as she did for you when you were growing up, i always think its always better to ask why she was given that food that she dont like and then listen as if its a load of cr** then you push it further by no means give up if you feel you dont think she being treated right then tell them that.

let us know how you get on

sylvia
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    People never fail to astonish me. How could they be so thoughtless and care-less? Your poor mum - she does not deserve that kind of treatment at her age. I am so very sorry for her and you. Complain, complain, complain. Write to the boss of the care home, write to your MP and contact the local press. This is disgraceful.

If you are used to spicy food, no problem. My mum makes me laugh - apparently, when first pregnant with me (back in 1958) she was strongly advised not to eat curry as she could miscarry. She still maintains to this day that it's bad for one. My response is well, how do Indian mums-to-be manage? One's body becomes accustomed to different foods, but a curry, at that age? No, no, no. It's wrong on so many levels.

I hope she feels better soon. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Awwww bless her 104, if she has not had curry before, then they should not start giving it to her now.
    What is wrong with these people, you just cant risk her getting the runs at that age.
    I would have a word with them, I am sure there are lots of meals she enjoys, at 104 I think they should give her whatever she fancys.
    Give her some hugs from me (((((()))))
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dolittle
    Options
    Thanks, all of you. Sorry I ranted but I hate it when she's not in her chair giving her 'old buck' and wanting to know where her blue pleated skirt is that's really mauve and pink and 'I'm sure that woman next to me had my blouse on yesterday'.

Just checked and she seems a little better this evening.

Thanks for the hug - it's nice to feel 'included' ... I've been to the 'dumps' and back - again. But am OK now - saw a nice young lady doctor and her attitude was better than pills! AND I haven't got Lupus!!!!!!
    Do
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Do,

Not Lupus thats great news. You have been through the mill and I hope things go on the up now.

My mum is 91 and has to watch what she eats. No way would she have a curry. Glad your mum is a bet better tonight.

Lv, Ix
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I have always thought that korma is an extremely mild curry, if you can really call it that and tend to agree with Del, that is more than likely not what upset your mum's stomach. Bless her. I hope she feels much better very soon.

Should your mum not wish to eat this again, perhaps they could come up with an alternative meal for her on that day. Don't they get a choice anyway?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Curry in this country is not as new as people think, even Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861 had a mixture for a curry powder to add to recipes. Though she comments that 'curry powder is available from any respectable shop'.

A Chicken Korma is one of the very mildest curries that you can get. Creamy and healthy to eat without being too fiery. I wonder whether you have ever tried one yourself?

As I have been eating West Midlands best curries for over 40 years on a regular basis, normally a couple a week, perhaps I have developed a resistance to them as I now find a Korma fairly tasteless. Rogan Josh, Madras or Vindaloo would have been far too spicy for most people, but a basic Korma should not have caused the problems that you described, even for people who normally don't eat curries.

But if you think that it is not for your mum then ask for it not to be served to her again.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I'm sorry your mum was poorly, how is she now?

Nx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i find i can not eat curry as the spices used trigger migraine and can not see if eat one.
    so it depends on each individual so might be good idea if she tries a small amount again when she has recovered did others have same probs after it perhaps it was not cooked as well as it could have been val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Agreed, Korma is mild but it can be creamy and thus too rich. I doubt that this was a Korma cooked from scratch either - some ready-prepared rubbish manufactured in a giant warehouse in Swindon, that's my theory.

At 104 years of age, one is in a delicate position of everything wearing out, digestive system slowing and being more sensitive to stimuli. I really hope she is feeling better today. Dreamdaisy
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Wow 104 amazing just amazing. I would have a word with home and ask she not given it in future. I hope your mom feels better soon all the best joanne
    Joanne
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    People never fail to astonish me. How could they be so thoughtless and care-less? Your poor mum - she does not deserve that kind of treatment at her age. I am so very sorry for her and you. Complain, complain, complain. Write to the boss of the care home, write to your MP and contact the local press. This is disgraceful.

If you are used to spicy food, no problem. My mum makes me laugh - apparently, when first pregnant with me (back in 1958) she was strongly advised not to eat curry as she could miscarry. She still maintains to this day that it's bad for one. My response is well, how do Indian mums-to-be manage? One's body becomes accustomed to different foods, but a curry, at that age? No, no, no. It's wrong on so many levels.

I hope she feels better soon. Dreamdaisy

I loved curry when pregnant and as had bad morning (all day,months sickness!) i would just throw up straight after it. Did read its got lots of iron so probably why body craving for it.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Back to purpose of the thread!!
    I would have thought they would have a sort of food preference(from a form you would have completed etc) as a curry is not exactly everyones cup of tea plus if it has nuts in which i think it does could cause allergies...also curry not exactly common to that generation, perhaps if we reach that age we would find it acceptable as long as our bodies still happy processing it...
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,473
    Options
    Hi Do

Glad you havent got lupus :D

also glad your Mum is feeling so much better :D

Havent they got a menu? she should have a choice shouldnt she?

if she isnt happy with the food you could contact inspection - CQC

www.cqc.org.uk

Hope this helps :D

and 104 is brilliant :D

Love

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,948
    Options
    Hi Do
    i'm sorry your mum was unwell 104 is a jolly good age to get to she should be treated as the queen.
    i hope she feels better now and she is back to her normal self.
    Dream D i live in swindon in wiltshire and we are ok. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know - I just remember it as a quote from a comedian, can't recall who, who reckoned that all ready-prepared meals came from Swindon. It's always made me laugh - I did not mean to cause offence and if I have, I apologise. DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,948
    Options
    Hi Dream D.
    i did not mind you saying it i just wanted to say i live there i thought it funny.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi there, to reach the grand old age of 104 is no mean feat. Speak to the care home first. Many older people feel they dont like to complain and just keep quiet even when the treatment they are receiving is bad. I ran a group of four care homes for many years so understand where you are coming from. Tell them how this type of food is affecting your Mums tummy. On her personal care plan all her likes and dislikes should be listed also any types of food that her tummy doesnt handle well. We used to have people who loved really spicy food but it made them unwell and they still wanted it. If after speaking to the care home manager things dont improve then you have to report it to the care commission. The CC look at all areas within a care home including their menus, usually to ensure that the residents are receiving a well balanced and varied diet. I understand how you feel but Im sure that once you have had a little chat with the care home manager things will be sorted out for the better.
    Regard
    Trisha
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I know - I just remember it as a quote from a comedian, can't recall who, who reckoned that all ready-prepared meals came from Swindon. It's always made me laugh - I did not mean to cause offence and if I have, I apologise. DD
    I don't know about from Swindon, but ready prepared meals came from Swanson.

Packaged meals were developed in 1953 for Swanson & Sons, (the name in full was TV Brand Frozen Dinner), in the United States.
    c085.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dolittle
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the input. I’ll have a go … gently … sometimes it’s difficult to make ‘inroads’ with some care home staff, but I’ll give it a whirl.

Joseph: I daren’t even look at it .. finished up in A & E last time. Rob was also carted off there with a suspected heart condition last time he had one. So we don’t even think about it. Just one of those things like … chocolate – oh, how I’d LOVE some chocolate! 1861 eh! Well that was a bit before even my mum was born. She’s never used it, and I can only presume that she shopped at ‘unrespectable shops’ (joke).

DD: Oooo! I’m glad the Swindonians haven’t taken offence … we could have been in dire bother there! Whewwww!

Trisha: Thanks for your imput - FOUR homes … heavans what a task you must have had, but glad there are folk around like you.

Oneday: Now there’s a thought …. Pregnant, eh! Think of how we could cash in on that one! … but perhaps not!

Anyway, she was dressed and dozing in her chair when I checked this morning. Wouldn’t you know it .. the one day (today) we had planned to go and get OH some new clothes (like getting a donkey to gallop), and madam decides to be under the weather! We went anyway and all seems to be OK. She won’t lay in bed – she might miss something. I’ll hear all about it tomorrow. Thanks for your good wishes for her … she is a remarkable lady – If I was just a quarter of the woman she is ……..
    Do (I’ve written another essay … sorry)
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

I do hope your mum is feeling a bit better today and the sickness has gone.

What a silly thing to give her to eat.

Trish xx