got keep orkney warm in

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 19. May 2010, 10:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi all,

getting our loft insulated, our house is a council house and in march we got a letter saying they were going to do the loft but could.nt tell us when.

anyway a few weeks ago in april at the end of it they wanted to come and do our's But we have a load of stuff in the loft that had been there since we moved her over 10 years ago and they was not going to help us or even meet us half way ( awarkward lot ) anyway we said you have to come back when we cleared it out.

So we had to try and find out where we could hire a skip from and only one place does, anyway got skip and between hubby and his twin brother got it done, alot of it went in the skip and other stuff in boxes in the garage that we park the car, so now car got less room for a little while anyway, as it need to get sorted through and what we dont need goes to the dump.

what a lot of stuff you hold onto i guess as it got put up there we forgot all about it, as they say out of sight out of mind, anyway they gone for there tea break now, and said they wont stop till there done, tipcal orkney fashion. OMT Orkney mean time ( dont work very hard ) its nice here but i do like some of them they queer for shall we just say there just different.

As i said to hubby cant see me living here for the rest of my days at some point inthe future we move off the island.

sylvia
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It should help with the heating bills! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    Options
    hi D D we use about £28 a week at the moment thats for everything house is all electric
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You've set me thinking now: last gas/electric bill was £450, the highest we've ever had. (It covered a 14 week period, roughly Dec to March, cold all the time!) Our heating was on for 15 hours per day, boiler running at about three-quarter power to keep rooms at about 20 - it's cheaper to leave it ticking over than having it go on and off.
    We have a gas hob and the combi boiler does the hot water too.

Virtually all our light bulbs are save-the-planet-gloom bulbs, we use a telly and two computers, oven is electric. So, divide 450 by 14 weeks = roughly £32 per week. Strewth! Mind you, come the summer the bill will be, combined, about £100, much more reasonable! DD
  • only49
    Options
    hi D D we not doing to bad then, in the winter i would say its more like £50 a week, for heating we got total heating which means 2 tariffs one at a cheeper rate that does the hot water and the heating and then the rest is the other things like cooker lights etc.

we got a pre payment meter some people say you pay more but to tell you the truth i got fed up with the estimated bills so i got the hydro electric to put one in and now i know what we spending

oh we had alot of fun when they put that in NOT the man that put it gave the wrong readings to close down the other account and i got sent a bill for nie on a thoundpounds did i compalin yes i did and i did not get off the phone till i was happy i can tell you, what a cock up
    still got it sorted but i wont be paying by direct debit again.

the joy of it all
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I won't do Direct Debit either - they want instalments of £150 per month to begin with - I need the money in my bank account!

You do pay more for a pre-pay but (and I agree with you on this) if money is limited it does help one to keep track of where you are. This is again another basic unfairness in society - those with the least end up paying more, and the past Labour government has made that so much worse (despite bleating it's for ordinary people - the hypocrisy of it!) Grrrrrrrrrr!

We have a lovely warm, sunny day today in Suffolk. Hope it's nice in Orkney. Have you been able to find a pill organiser? DD
  • only49
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I won't do Direct Debit either - they want instalments of £150 per month to begin with - I need the money in my bank account!

You do pay more for a pre-pay but (and I agree with you on this) if money is limited it does help one to keep track of where you are. This is again another basic unfairness in society - those with the least end up paying more, and the past Labour government has made that so much worse (despite bleating it's for ordinary people - the hypocrisy of it!) Grrrrrrrrrr!

We have a lovely warm, sunny day today in Suffolk. Hope it's nice in Orkney. Have you been able to find a pill organiser? DD
    yes i found one its ne of those ones that mon-sun is in a plastic tray, but i may look to see if they have anything a bit smaller but i can take the day out with me where ever i go.

its a lovely day here sunny just been out to garage and put something in the car, and got talking to a neighbour his wife has
    RA and he was telling all about his wife and i said i understand what she must be going through if how i feel is anything to go by,
    i think it helped saying how he felt about how his wife is suffering

always good to listen i really felt for him just shows how much he must love his wife.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh I'm so pleased you found one, I find mine really helpful. There are many different shapes and sizes out there - our local discount store has some which have a zip up cloth case that has a yellow background with pink roses on it, a large, splashy design. Inside there are seven separate containers, mon-sun, each container is divided into four with little snap lids per section. This mean you can take one day out, put it in your bag and away you go. It's only £2.99 so I think I'll get one - not that I have many days out now! I don't like the design much but that really doesn't matter -it's the practicality of it.

They also have a load of different gadgets to help the disabled - I think they've got some bankrupt stock from somewhere. I'm going back tomorrow to investigate further - I need a jar-unscrewer and a magnetic pick-up-stuff-you've-dropped stick. I think they had those too. DD