Advice please

Options
keith1965
keith1965 Member Posts: 13
edited 22. May 2010, 05:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have been told about three weeks ago that I have seronegative and have been put on diclofenac and co codamol for the time being .I am still geting pains but can cope with it at the moment but still feel totaly worn out and finding when a do the smallest of jobs I am wanting to fall asleep. I am unemployed at the moment and dont think I could cope with doing a days work at all and thats not me at all having done manual farm work all my life .I am allso waiting to go into hospital to have both my wrists done carpul tunnels would I be able to change bennafits from job seekers allowance ??? This is all new to me and dont now which way to turn at all . any advice would be great thanks
keith

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to the forums - I'm sorry about your news.

I take it that seronegative is some form of arthritis - is it RA? I have PA and, like all forms of arthritis, it's wearing. There are some current threads running about tiredness and I think the general conclusion is that a) it's part of the disease and b) medications may also have something to do with it. It doesn't sound as though you are on much at the moment: the meds can take a while to kick in so I hope you soon feel the benefit.

Regarding JSA questions etc it may be better for you to contact the AC helpline, they should be able to help on that. I struggle on with self-employment and I receive DLA.

Keep in touch, let us know how you get on. This is a fairly serious forum, the chit-chat has quite a few laughs on it! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Disability living allowance is non means tested so is worth trying for but there is form filling involved and you will need advice to fill it in in order to get your point across to qualify.CAB or a disability charity would help.
    If you are too sick to work you will probably be taken off JSA anyway especially if you cant get to work interviews which might be likely.You would then probably get put onto ESA but this would involve interviews and medicals and can be demoralising experience unfortunately as trying to prove your illness and the long delay and appeals make it a long slog.
    Read some of the threads on here to get an idea what others are going through claimimg ESA or DLA. However I would advise people who feel too ill to work to contact a helpful benefits charity to get an idea of what they qualify for.
    However it is also likely your condition will improve with the correct medication and you will feel well enough to continue working. That is the best scenario.
    Dont write yourself off yet Keith, and keep in touch.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Keith,

Just wondering who has diagnosed you cus normally its treated with the modifiers...... Have you seen a rumo at all?

I wonder about Elizabeth's suggestion of DLA, might be worth a go? Can you talk to CA about claiming? they help fill in the forms as its hard to get them right.

Its not something I know a lot about as I am self employed (hey I am a small holder and isn't it hard work? Can you shear sheep :wink: )so can have a bad day without anyone breathing down my neck...... I really do understand the fear and the shock and hang in there and I think you need a tablet review actually. Nice to meet you and welcome to the forums. Cris x
  • keith1965
    Options
    Thanks for your replys I am waiting to see the rheumatolagist but the appointments seem very hard to get been waiting two weeks now and still havnt heard back from the hospital . I just want to get things sorted and find out wots going on my own gp says I have seronegative as my blood tests came back negative I feel like my whole body is aching it seems every joint is giving me trouble . The whole thing seems hard to take in at the moment and my wife cant understand why I feel so worn out and tired all the time I just want to get to the bottom of it sorry to be moaning :(

keith
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're not moaning - you're in a state of uncertainty and that's miserable. Arthritis isn't alsways diagnosed by blood tests, in fact I think RA is the only that can, but it depends on the sort of RA one has.

It is difficult for family members too for a variety of reasons: for my husband it's the fact he can't do anything to take away the pain that upsets him. I try not to let on how bad things are for that reason.

These things do take time - if you haven't heard anything after three weeks then chase it up. Once you're on the roundabout things occur quite regularly - it's the getting on that's tricky! Keep us posted, and feel free to join in any thread you fancy. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Keith
    Dont apologise for moaning, we all do it , sometime you do need to get things off your chest, and thats what we are here for to support one another.
    I know what you mean about rheumy appointments, mine was a long time coming...well next week.
    I do hope you get some answers when you get your appointment, it is hard for family to understand what we are going through, so we are always here when you need us.
    You take care
    Barbara
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Keith

Poor you :(

you ahve got a lot on and it does sound as though your doctor has been good to date.

Yep you might wait to see teh rheumy but once you do he/she should satrt you on DMARDs if needs be then some of teh fatigue might lift.

I feel for yor wife too - if I were you I'd donwload one of the A/Cs leaflets for her to read then she will understand the extreme tiredness. Good to meet you - Sorry :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • keith1965
    Options
    Thanks for the support I just seem a bit lost with wots happening so its nice to talk with people who no wots going on I just feel like I am allways moaning about one ache or the other at the moment thanks everyone be back soon take care
  • frogmorton
    edited 22. May 2010, 09:06
    Options
    Hi keith

Oh this is the place to moan :D

might be an idea to leave family alone a bit and we will do all the listening :wink:

Because they will be struggling too :)

Take care

Toni xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Keith,

Sometimes moaning gets it out of your system but you know its a hard thing to get your head round in the beginning. What I can promise you is it does get easier with time Keith.

How well do you get on with your gp?

As Toni said families, well they also have to come to terms with it all as well. I don't think you are moaning but what ever your more than welcome to do it here. Cris x
  • keith1965
    Options
    Hi Cris I get on ok with my GP why ??
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hi Keith, welcome to the forum!

I feel for you - getting a diagnosis like this is such a shock. Ive had seronegative arthritis for 6 months and at first thought the world would fall apart.. well it hasn't! The good news is that your GP seems to be on the ball - he/she's not dismissing you even though your bloods are negative and you've started the process of getting appropriate treatment to control your condition.

Hang in there, there's treatments that will help. Most people eventually find something to make them feel better, and some people get into remission and it might be you. Don't despair just yet, it's early days. The most important thing you can do for yourself now is try to keep a healthy mind and try to stay positive. Good luck!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Keith
    (Hi Caprica - how you doing girl?)

I think cris mans it's helpful if you have a good GP :D

Which it is :wink:

How are you doing today?

Love

toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi it hard to get your head around and the exhaustion wipes you out but with the right meds things do get better as for benifits can not help sorry as only work part time have managed to work so far. thy the mods they are good with giving links to that kind of information.
    val
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Keith,

Cus if you get on well with your gp then perhaps a double appointment, a list of your questions and talk through with the them as well as your fears could be helpful. But if you don't get on with them then it wouldn't help at all.

Good luck with the rumo appointment and maybe they can sort out what is wrong and hopefully you will start some treatments. Cris