first physio

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 20. May 2010, 18:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
i had my first physio yesterday and was told i am doing to much walking :roll: :oops: and need to do more excercises , i feel as if i am doing as much and as many times as i should , between ice and elevation , and no matter how many times i draw my leg towards my bum it will only go so far hay ho keep trying
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's finding that balance, isn't it? Stuff feels better, you feel better, you try to do more stuff and then . . . ooops!

You possibly may need to spend more time doing the exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the joints - that is a very important thing to do before you start walking here, there and everywhere! Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Interesting, why did she think you were doing too much walking and not enough exercise? How could she tell, or it she going by what you told her?

I was tol to do the exercises three times a day, each exercise 10 times. Walking was good. How many weeks post op are you now, Berty? Are you walking without any aids in the home and outside now?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi bertyboy

It takes time to get those muscles strong. My leg is still a bit of swollen and my TKR was in February and it is still not straight. I keep doing my stretching exercises and my cycling to improve it. It will come. I understand the hamstring muscles are the hardest to build up.

I must admit I don't ice as much as I used too maybe 2/3 times a week. It does help a lot.

You're doing quite well if you're being told off for walking! I find just getting around the supermarket hard work! :lol::lol:

Take care.
    Sharmaine

bertyboy wrote:
    i had my first physio yesterday and was told i am doing to much walking :roll: :oops: and need to do more excercises , i feel as if i am doing as much and as many times as i should , between ice and elevation , and no matter how many times i draw my leg towards my bum it will only go so far hay ho keep trying
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi bertboy,

First physio already? that's great!

You are doing really well and think that you should be really pleased with your progress. :wink: and as Sharmaine says muscles take time to rebuild....x

big (((HUGS)))

Iris x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    i am still on crutches as other knee can buckle with out warning and i would hate to go down i have been on crutches for the past 18 month or more to make sure i stay upright , my ankles are begining to feel weak physio also said i was walking with my toe turned out i dont feel i am walking any different but feel self consious now that i am trying to correct it which hurts i am 3 weeks post op and feeling like a caged animal and thinking i have made a mistake
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Berty

It is still very early days for you. I remember with my first TKR I wondered if I had made a terrible mistake in the early weeks. It will all come out in the wash, I am sure. You have to be patient, and believe me, I know how difficult that is! You just carry on doing your best, that is all you can do. I hope the physio has not put you off going again and that you will be able to work together as a team. If not, try to get another physio if that is at all possible.

Chin up, it will be ok. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It doesn't happen overnight - hang on in there, do the exercises, walk a little and then you'll feel the benefit and wonder why you didn't do it sooner! It is a long road, but every day takes you closer to full recovery. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Berty,

Sorry I am late here.

Its harder with another bad knee I think (Sharmaine can tell you about that sadly) I think you are doing ok and the physio well they use charts and not everyone progresses at the same pace. You just keep doing what you are doing and it will get there flower. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Berty - good that you had physio - but fancy being told you are doing too much walking!!!

I suppose walking only strengths the muscles used for walking and the exercises give a more "rounded" workout to the leg. I will have to be careful that I religiously do my exercises and don't just count my walking as enough.

Picked up a great tip in hospital for THR and getting the knee bending. Was going to start a new thread - but shall post it here for starters. This lovely lady who had just had her second knee done - had told others that what worked for her was a skateboard!!! She said when she was sat watching TV etc she put the foot of her operated leg on a skateboard and moved it backwards and forwards as she sat there and bit by bit the knee bend improved without too much effort. Ingenious?! Worth a try. Whilst SITTING remember!!!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol: Sharmaine and I both had a plastic round disc that we put our foot on and slid backwards and forwards, thus bending the knee as far back as possible, sitting down of course. Worked well.

Elna x