2nd HIP REPLACEMENT [POSSIBLY]

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 30. May 2010, 08:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have an apointment in 2 weeks time to see the orthopaedic surgeon that did my first hip replacement {about 12 weeks ago} He did say at the beginning that I needed 2 new hips but hasnt said anything since but I got a copy letter from him to my GP saying I was doing well and he was going to discuss a 2nd hip replacement when he saw me.
I'm not sure about this...I know its my descision but I wouldnt mind hearing what others have to say......anyonbe else had the 2 done close together?
Love
Hileena

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Have now got a THR and a resurfaced hip - however with a 13 year gap!!!

Personally, I would want the replaced hip to be 6 months to a year old before having the next one done. (Preferably waiting to the nearer a year mark - but that is just me - interesting to see what others will say.

(Of course even if you agree to it being done when you see the consultant in 2 weeks - you'll then join a waiting list and have to wait a few months.

How is your THR now? Are you still on pain meds? How far can walk? Does your leg still tire? Are you sleeping better?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi.......I know you had a long recovery period {if I remember rightly} with your first one.
    In answer to your questions....My leg still gets heavy and tired if I walk very far......the pain I have I think is more in the un operated one and I'm leaning on the operated one a lot...not balanced...LOL Whats New!! LOL
    I'm not sleeping too badly.......2 codeine at about 6pm and 2 at about 10 pm seem to do the trick....the only other thing I'm on is paracetamol. I trioed to cut down the 6pm one and was OK for a couple of days but the day before last I kept wakening with pain so bak on the 2 at 6pm now
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

thanks for update - you were so inspirational to me in your own progress (I know you have had periods when you got frustrated) and made me feel so much better about agreeing to the second op.

My stronger leg has always been the one that has just been operated on - my older replacement leg is aching a bit as it is having to work harder than it is used to doing.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    Options
    I ame back to this post to add a bit to it.....I'm waking up in the morn ing very sore {not just stiff} In particular this morning I woke up and was so sore on the operated hip......the side and round the front but not really into the groin. Not a pain but not stiffness either.....As if I had been on a board all night.......As usual...not very explicit but thats all I can say

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, when you sleep on your side - which side are you sleeping on?

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    It doesnt seem to matter which one I start on....I seem to change sides....even with a pillow between my legs. I was on the operated one one this morning when I woke up....but I try to sleep on the un op side but must roll over. Plus the fact that I really must need the un op. one done....because its sore when I waken as well LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena - I found a pillow between the legs didn't offer enough support - the body cushion I had from Mothercare worked much better because it gave me a lot more support - does take up a lot of room in the bed though. Have you thought about trying the caravan mattress topper on you bed too? Or you could wedge pillows behind you to prevent you rolling a and switching sides in the night.

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    Two minds with a single thought LOL
    I've been using the mattress topper for the past few nights and its not working on the bed......I took it off last night. I slept on my un operated side last night with a pillow behind me to stop me rolling over but I'm still sore this morning ....in fact I've got pain in my knee as well........Have you noticed you mentioning this mothercare thing bfore but dont know what it is.....I'll have a check the next time I'm in. The only other thing I have is my V shaped pillow
    Better go and get my first cup of coffee
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, dying to use my body pillow again and sleep on my side...

here is a rather long link to copy and paste into browser,
    http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Sleep-Body-Pillow/dp/B001NZJVQ0/ref=sr_11_1/275-2823404-6717559?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core

Beware of cheaper ones - I had one and it quickly flattened ... and I ended up buying this one like my sisters. If you know any recently pregnant ladies they might let you borrow theirs to try. Mine was worth every penny. Sleep is everything!!

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks speedalong.....Had a quick look at the link but the family are coming for coffee...will study it this evening when I come on

Love
    Hileena