Chicken Pox!

Options
shazzie39
shazzie39 Member Posts: 38
edited 24. May 2010, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
My son saw the DR yesterday and he has chicken pox. I told him I was taking MTX but he said I should be fine as I have had it. Is this right?

Cheers
Shazzie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I dimly remember hearing/reading somewhere that the 'fact' you can't get it again is a myth. Be careful - your immune systerm is compromised and the last thing you need is a bout of shingles (or chicken pox). Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi

I would ring your rheumy helpline for clarification on this to be on the safe side.

Janie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    I would ring too.

My daughter got shingles last year (I am on hydroxy) and was told I was ok but those on chemo would not be ....MTX is a chemo drug too isn't it?

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI, I'd do as the others say and ring the nurse or your doctor. A few years ago I had Chicken Pox, although I don't have the same drugs as you as I've got OA, but my Mum had told me years ago that I'd had it when I was a toddler. I think its one of the few things that you can ge twice, but I'm not sure. Love Sue
  • kmt297
    kmt297 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Shazzie,
    My hubby recently had shingles which is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus. I am on MTX and humira. I called the Rheumy nurse on the advice of the GP my hubby saw and she told me not to get too close to him until the rash had faded and at any sign of a rash of any kind I should go straight to my GP for anti-viral meds as immune-suppressant drugs can allow you to get chicken pox again. By the way she also told me that anyone can get chicken pox more than once although it's very rare. Maybe you just need to be vigilant and see your GP if you get a rash. Hope you're OK.
    KT
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    shazzie39 wrote:
    Hi All
    My son saw the DR yesterday and he has chicken pox. I told him I was taking MTX but he said I should be fine as I have had it. Is this right?

Cheers
    Shazzie

Hi Shazzie as the others say check it out with your Dr.
    My son was immunised against CP to minimise the chances of me coming in contact with it. I have had CP before....5 times!!! and haven't yet developed an immuity to it which is rare however as you are on MTX you will be more succeptable. Go talk to your dr and just find out what the protocol is for you if you do catch it. I was told that they would have admitted me to hospital immediately for antiviral treatment (I was on high dose steroids & MTX) and observation - apparently its much more serious and you can develop other complications
    Chrissie
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    Options
    chicken pox is highly contagious, not sure how it is with the mtx but yes folks definitly can get it more than once, infectious times are actually before all the spots come out until the spots have scabbed, and you dont need to touch open sores to catch it, it can be airborne through sneezes etc

when you've had chicken pox or been in close contact with it, the virus then lies dormant in a nerve pathway, when you get run down or have other issues going on it can then come out along this nerve pathway, which is why you see it in mainly one area, you cant CATCH shingles but i think if someone else has it then it can potentiate it; you can catch chicken pox from shingles but only if you touch the open sores,

hope this hepls