weight issues and sunshine

Options
dippydoodah
dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
edited 22. May 2010, 06:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
good morning to everyone, hope you are enjoying the warmer weather.

unfortunately i am not. i used to love the sun. before i was diagnosed with oa i was a healthy size 14/16, had loads of energy and confidence and id worked bl**dy hard to get the weight off (i was a size 24 and have been losing weight since 2008 and was doing really well, itd taken me 2 years but it was staying off and i wasnt starving myself).

skip forward 10 months from last august and im a stone and half heavier purely because i cant exercise as much. i have oa everywhere, my feet knees, hands shoulders neck elbows hips :cry:
i try to do a little walking when i take the boys to school but i can only do so much before i have to stop. i try putting some energy into my housework but can only do so much each day. i tried swimming, which was great while i was in the water but i felt so self conscious on my body and couldn't physically dry or dress myself afterwards which angered me even more.

im starting to get really depressed. i feel like a frump. my old clothes just don't look the same, i bought loads of lovely summer tops and trousers/shorts and when i put them on now i end up crying. I hate the sun now and just want to stay indoors.

how can i lose the weight now?? arthur is so restrictive and i don't want to undo all my hard work. im 32 and eat really well a typical day is special k for breakfast or nimble toast, lunch may be soup or salad sandwich or jacket potato with a laughing cow extra low fat cheese triangle and a muller yoghurt or snack a jacks, dinner is things like chicken breast with cous cous or turkey and veggies, sometimes pasta or rice but ive switched to brown/wholemeal 2 years ago. i do enjoy a takeaway and a few glasses of wine at the weekend on saturday nights with my husband but thats our only treat and im always good before and after.

im sorry to ramble on so much but im starting to think this it it for me now and im not gonna lose weight anymore.
Im very aware how lucky i am to have a lovely family and others are worse off but i just cant stop this niggling away at me....

Comments

• only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi

i know excatly what you mean i have OA in my knees and i going to the doctors this morning as i had enough, pain meds are not working cant do anything i feel useless always in pain, well enough about me, one thing i say is the people are wondeful on this forum i found them so good just latlety they maybe dont relise it or maybe they do lol but its incrediable how they give you the strenght to carry on while at the same time know how your feeling. i feel just like you at the mo everything really hard but hey its got to get better, keep posting.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been in a very low place regarding weight and ill-fitting clothes, low enough to take some action.

I eat small amounts of proper food. Over the course of a few weeks I cut out chocolate, biscuits, cake and cheese. I have cut down on the wine and takeaways, and I'm steering very clear of 'diet' versions of food. What they lack in fat they make up for in sugar - vast amounts of it. There are fewer calories in a bowl of shredded wheat with skimmed milk than the same amount of Special K. These diet foods are an absolute con. Do your taste buds, and your body, a favour and eat less of the proper stuff, not more of the crap because it's 'diet'.

The weekends have been a struggle but I am now making a real effort not to fall off the wagon - one extra glass of wine undoes all the good work of the previous six days. I don't do it now.

My weight piled on for two reasons: the menopause and steroids. Three years ago I lost a great deal of weight, without trying, as the meno really hit. Three hellish years later it's nearly over and I'm 3.5 stone fatter. Steroids do not help either, weight gain is one of their many side-effects but I take them to help with the arthritis. I've tried life without them - no thanks.

I've lost a small amount of weight, I discovered this morning. I'm closer to a 20 than a 22. I don't look any better, I don't feel any better, I'm still in constant pain (and that's another myth peddled by docs - pain levels did not diminish when I was a size 16) but the deprivations have had an effect. It's up to me to make it worthwhile. I have to manufacture the positive feelings, to pretend they're there.

Summer in this country is highly over-rated. It's often over before it's begun. Wall-to-wall sunshine and everyone enjoying themselves just highlights ever-more brightly how much I have lost thanks to arthritis. I suppose it's easier to struggle in sunlight than in pouring rain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you only49 and yes there are alot of wonderful people here to provide support.
    i do shy away from most of the 'diet' stuff, i prefer fresh food and fruits and thankfully so do my children as that's what ive brought them up on. (i feel so proud when my little 3 year old tucks into a salad sandwich with cherry tomatoes and cucumber sticks on his plate and then instead of asking for crisps he'd rather have an apple or a yoghurt)

ive watched so many 'food' documentaries where some 'diet' stuff is no better than the full fat stuff and it takes me hours to do the shopping because im constantly comparing the labels.
    i actually have the own supermarkets brand of cereal thats the same as special k because its better nutritionally and its the only cereal i like the taste of, which is better than munching on my husbands/eldest sons sugary stuff and ive had skimmed milk for years.

since i wrote my earlier message im feeling a little better. ive just got the 'wii' back out of its box and done 10 minutes gentle step while watching tv, it was over before i realised so i think i can handle that a couple of times a week or just 10 mins a day. i think ive found something that i can do little and often which is a step in the right direction for me :)
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Dippydoohdah,

Don't dishearten, you lost weight before - you will again - but it does take time (that is the depressing bit.) My friend was overweight for years and did not go do any exercise (because she was self conscious) she still managed go loose the weight though - she went to slimmers world/weight watchers. Now she does go to pilates and is slimmer and has more energy. (She doesn't have arther - but what I'm trying to say is - she was not active and still lost weight.)

I know everyone is different - but I find it easier to lose weight when it is hot - because I lose my appetite. In the winter I find it impossible because I'm always so cold and want to snack more and eat carbs etc

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi DD
    I've lost a small amount of weight, I discovered this morning. I'm closer to a 20 than a 22.

That is GREAT!!!! Don't play down your achievement. I watched a body programme once on TV - they got people to look at images of bodies and asked them to say which one was the same size as themselves - virtually every woman chose an image that meaured fatter than they were - proving we do not see ourselves as others see us - we think we are fatter than we are.

Take heart with your achievement and keep going ....

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Speedy, I'm fat and I know it. I know it 'cos nothing that used to fit, fits. Some days it bothers me, other days not.

Well done on the Wii dippy. It's good you can do it, just do a little everyday and the benefits will mount up! Good luck with it. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi DD,

it didn't matter whether the people were thin or fat or inbetween - they still chose a body shape bigger than their own to represent themselves.

I'm not saying you are not overweight - most people seem to be these days to varying degrees - but that you think you look fatter than you really do!!

Speedalong
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    i agree that any weight loss even a little at a time is a great achievement and ive always been told its more likely to stay off that way too - thats what i keep telling myself! :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Dippydoodah,

Nice to see you again by the way :D

Don't lose sight of how well you did! I know oa is not conducive to exercising and exercising is about the only way to get weight off........ I am like you, was a healthy 10 now and unhealthy 16 and have forgot all my life with weight. Not ever sensibly so my body does the siege mode thing......

If you were able maybe you would get some help from a dietitian at the hospital? At least that's free. Some doctor practices also have a diet nurse and well all I can say is you will do it and your not a frump!

You are the same person what ever size your exterior. Its common I think that long term conditions play havoc with our self image and well don't let it get to you and I am sure you will be able to lose it with a bit of help. A ((( ))) Cris x

DD,

Same to you, the outer bit isn't what matters its the inner you! xx

Now if I could make my self believe it......... :oops: :lol::lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    hi,
    Why is it so much easier to put on than take off? One of God's unfunny little jokes, maybe? I lost a stone, but since leaving work its come back. I don't eat much that I shouldn't, but I do have a biscuit or two if I'm really hungry or if I'm down and need cheering up!!! :( I am trying to go back to smaller helpings, no or only 2 biscuits, doing a bit of exercise, and housework.

If I'm really honest, the helpings have gone up, bigger helpings, even if the food is healthy, does the harm for me. Also, my husband likes nuts and always has some around, I OK untill I start, but one nut and I'm off :roll: I can't try swimming, because I can't swim!!! I did ask the physio, but she said that learning to swim would make my neck worse, as people learning don't hold their necks in the right position in case they get their face wet.

So, I am very much in the same boat as you. Sorry, no help to you am I? Love Sue :wink:
  • janetw
    janetw Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Good Evening.

I'm 38 years old and have severe osteoarthritis in my right knee (for now my pain is controlled by new pain killers).

I also have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus, which in turn means I can't exercise, so have put on loads of weight, I'm only 4ft 7inches in height, and probably weigh over 10 stone in weight :cry: .

The hot weather for me is a nightmare, as I also have Lymphoedema and Lipoedema. :cry: , and I have a catheter for my bladder.

Can anyone suggest any way that stop my feet from swelling in the future "Summer" months please?

Thanks for reading, sorry for my ramble, and moan.

Take care.

Hugs.

Jan xxxxxx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I know its difficult when you have O/A to excercise but I know I used to use it as an excuse not to walk.. I am still overweight but I know that if I don't keep my muscles strong its going to be worse for me.. so last year I determined that no matter what I would walk.. I already manage to swim every week and I started off slow and built up from a 10 min walk to now being able to manage 35 mins before I start to feel like I have to sit down NOW.... it was hard but I was determined.. I tried to not concentrate on the pain but on enjoying the walk..

I already have a RTHR , the left hip is on its way , I had surgery for spinal O/A and have it in my ankles , knees, wrists, hand and feet.. so I am in a lot of pain but make myself walk and I actually feel so much better when I've managed a walk.. and because my muscles are stronger I don't get so much pain even though the joints are still deteriorating...

Good luck
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Dippy
    The way you talk sounds a bit like a slimming world member????
    Anyway I've got OA in hips and ankles and know what you mean.
    I think the only way we can manage is chair exercises, or you seem to have found your own way which is good, little bit of walking and not comfort eating...thats my downfall...eg after 1st THR....6 weeks of just sitting most of the time....bored etc so stufff my face with biscuits.
    Sorry none of that is really much help but just to let you know there are a lot of us in the same boat
    Love
    Hileena
  • dippydoodah
    Options
    thank you everyone im feeling much brighter today, probably was just on a downer earlier :oops:

ive been doing the wii 10 minutes at a time when im having a good spell and im down 1lb this morning!! at least its a start :D

anyway, thank you again and hope you all get to enjoy the warmer weather
    caroline x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello janetw, I hope you're ok today.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of ways to stop your feet from swelling and I can only think of two: keep your feet elevated whenever possible and/or dangle them in a bowl of tepid water.

I'm not very creative today, sorry! Dreamdaisy.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi caroline

I am like dreamdaisy, a size 20/22, I lose weight when I am in a flare (like now) which is good but I found that my meds have the side effect of yes you've guessed it weight gain! infact mtx,enbrel,steriods,my epilepsy meds all have this, so I blame it on those!

I try not to worry too much about my weight, I don't think there's room in my brain for it anyway what with all the pain etc. But equally you must be deflated to have put the weight back on. WHat I am trying to say is don't let it rule your life, you can only do so much with arthritis, comfort eating is in my opinion a way of dealing with this illness. We all have our coping strategies and it is a nice one. People who try to say you need better healthier coping ones really don't know what we go through every day so don't beat yourself up about it.

Janie