pills, pillls, pills

Options
redkettle
redkettle Member Posts: 26
edited 25. May 2010, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again.

This was me... http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14459&start=0

..waiting to get a diagnosis, and since that time, (and several appointment cancellations later) I've finally had a diagnosis on Tuesday, and it seems I do have RA.

Hardly surprising, and I'm actually glad to put a name on it and get something done. But boy i wasn't expecting all the pills. Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Folic Acid, Vitamin D and Calcium chews. My bedside cabinet looks like a small pharmacy! :)

Anyway, i think i might have to get a 'pill box' or something to remind me of when to take them. I've a memory like a sieve.

Oh, and do any of these cause a sore throat. Man, i woke up this morning and my throat was raw and i could hardly swallow. Could be just an on setting cold, but if it would be a pain if it was the pills.

Ok, talk soon.
John

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's only five! A mere beginner! (and calcium and folic aren't really drugs, they're to lessen side effects). I'm pleased you have a diagnosis, I think it helps to name the enemy then you know what you're fighting.

The one thing I found so surprising when I first started on this merry-go-round is the number of goes it can take to find the combination of meds that works - I hope this does do the trick for you, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Battle on thro any side effects - it can take time for the body to adjust to the drugs. I think a sore throat is a candidate for a side effect but I've never had one. I wish you every success - let us know how it goes! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi John

Good to see you again.

arent you clever linking us back to that post. Mind you I hadnt forgotten you.

Having anme to put to it really helps. It means you can read up and life becomes a bit more predictable - fear of the unknown is always worse isn't it?

You can get containers to put your meds in taht you decant out daily and in timed slots so you dont forget any - soon becomes second nature.

Daisy is right - this might not - in the end - turn out to be the right combination of meds for you - but I hope it is :D

Love Toni xx

PS have you bought a prescription prepayment cert??
  • redkettle
    Options
    Thanks Daisy! Fingers crossed this combo works so.

Toni, i'd no idea what a "prescription prepayment cert" was, but a quick google now, shows it may save me some money - does everyone on here use them? and are they very cost effective?
    Thanks for the tip!

John
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I average 7 items per prescription, so at £7.50 per item (? about that, I think) that's £52.50. I get repeats about every two months, so that's lots of money! The pre-payment is £10.50 per month. It's well worth it for me. DD
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi John, good you have a diagnosis - now you know what you are dealing with and treatment can commence .... I think we all rattle on this forum!!!

There are lots of different tablet organisers on the market - if it helps get one.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi John

I beleive it is cost effective if you only have two prescriptions a month - you will be having about four so....yes get one today :wink:

I ahd about four extra items from my GP thsi week and it is great not to be worrying.

Bad enough having to deal with this - even worse to be rendered broke by it eh :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • redkettle
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys. Crikey, yeah i'll definitely get a PPC.

Think it's a little annoying that the doc/nurses/gp didn't mention the PPC. But at least i know now. Cheers!!
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi John, I hope the combination does help, sadly, with its own range of side effects, not that they affect all people all of the time. It certainly can be a try it and see combination at the beginning.

I am up to 30 and I yet to see the Rheummy next week, so goodness knows what he will add. A lot of mine are for other medical issues. My OH reminds me about my pills or I would get in a right muddle and me, a retired nurse, who was always spot on with mediction rounds. :roll: Take care, xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    redkettle wrote:

Think it's a little annoying that the doc/nurses/gp didn't mention the PPC. But at least i know now. Cheers!!

you can apply online for a PPC - and that works out the quickest in my experience if you are going to pay by the 10 months direct debit.

all the info is on this link
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

good luck!
    wonky
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bubbles, it's different when it's you. DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    redkettle wrote:

Get saving now John :D

I do mine online too

Love

toni xx
  • redkettle
    Options
    Cool guys - i will order online. May just plump for the 6month cert and take the hit.

As for side effects - well it could be a coincidence, but either i caught a majorly bad cold the day after starting MTX; complete with muscle aches, headaches, cough, sore throat and a nose that would put a tap to shame - or the MTX is causing it all.

I'm due my second dose tonight (7.5mg) and really hoping there isn't a repeat performance.

oh well, let's see what happens :)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi John,

Just to add that you can get a sore throat when you have a flare of your RA. I find it's my early warning system that I could be in for a bad time ...when my throat feels red raw my joints are going to follow suit :roll: :roll:

Let's hope yours is a one off with your cold.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi

I hope the cold was coincidence too - good luck with tonight's dose

Let us know how it goes.

Love

Toni xx